navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: System layout - oil and wood burner  (Read 374 times)
bassanclan

« on: November 06, 2018, 01:51:57 PM »

I currently have an open vented oil boiler feeding an indirect hot water cylinder using a Y plan setup.
I have bought a Dunsley Yorkshire wood burning stove with a back boiler (at a knock down price) (as I have a good supply of free wood) and wondered how best to integrate it with the existing central heating and DHW system with the minimum amount of intervention.

I was considering the layout as attached and would be grateful for any improvements and opnions etc

* Layout .jpg (102.05 KB, 918x1164 - viewed 178 times.)
Tigger

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 03:48:00 PM »

I have a similar system with oil and wood heating and after a bit of messing around with other methods of integration, I'm now happily settled with using an H2 Panel to hook them up (http://www.h2panel.co.uk/).

The great thing is, it just works and in my opinion was well worth the money.

Ian.

30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
davec

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 06:12:43 PM »

We did something quite similar, linking oil boiler and a multifuel stove through a Dunsley Neutraliser... no laddomat though nor heat-leak rad, just a couple of pipe-stats, one to enable room-stat control of radiator circulation at ~65degC and another to over-ride if return from the DHW passed ~85. Worked fine except during power-cuts... excuse for hot baths by candlelight!
Tigger

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 08:38:03 AM »

We also had a Dunsley Neutraliser but somehow it never quite worked properly.  Don't know if it was just how they are or if ours wasn't done properly but I eventually got frustrated enough with it to change to the H2 panel.  Interestingly I acquired it from somebody who had installed it but said they couldn't get it to work properly.  We had just bought a new TV and I swapped our old TV for the Neutraliser.  He got the better deal as the TV was still going long after I took the Dunsley out  hysteria

30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
davec

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 10:54:11 AM »

...couldn't get it to work properly....

Local building control required boiler stoves to be installed by a HETAS engineer so, not wanting a 15Kw bomb in the living room, that's what we did. I remember it not just being standard plumbing though, e.g. injector tees to keep the flow going the right way...
Tigger

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 11:32:52 AM »

Yep, it was installed by an accredited HETAS engineer, it took me a while to find one who was willing to install it.  I guess we were just unlucky  facepalm

bassanclan

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 08:06:03 AM »

I looked at the Dunsley Neutraliser but the layout sent from Dunsley seems particularly complicated.

With the H2 panel, how do the controls work? Can you easily call for heating from was only?
Tigger

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 08:30:50 AM »

We use a 'normal' 2 channel programmer so have separate hot water and heating schedules.  Either one can be called up independently of the other so if we need a bit more hot water then I can just have hot water and equally the heating can be turned on without it trying to heat up the hot water. 

With the wood burner fired up and all controls off, it tops up the hot water and will also fire up the heating circuit if the water in the wood burner gets too hot.  If you then switch the heating on and the wood burner is above it's threshold temperature but not hot enough to run the heating on it's own then the hot water from the wood burner is directed to the oil boiler to heated a little more before it goes off to the heating circuit thus using less oil but still warming the house up quickly.

It can also be changed with a couple of switches on the control box to run just solid fuel or fully automatically.

If you give them a call, they'll be more than happy to answer any questions and point you in the right direction.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: