navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Back boiler on wood stove  (Read 16312 times)
pmann

« on: March 23, 2008, 08:18:14 PM »

I am planning on a new hot water system, including a new combi boiler, a solar water heater (evacuated tubes) and hot water off the back of a small wood stove.

My question is what would a suitable configuration for the water tank be? Do I need to use a heat store system?  Is there any way I can connect hot water from the wood-stove back boiler to a pressurised tank?

Thanks
Phil
Flamethrower_

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 08:25:43 PM »

Phil,

Are you really meaning a combi boiler or a condensing boiler with solar/wood stove?

Rob
guydewdney

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 10:01:04 PM »

the water from the boiler / solar / stove is not pressurised. only the water inside the tank.

i have a similar setup - i thought i needed one of these http://www.dunsleyheat.co.uk/linkupsys.htm to make my system work - or why not just order a cylinder with three coils? Navitron sell an excellant range of HW cylinders Wink that are much cheaper....

edit for linking etc. I have left the dunsley heat thingy as Nav' dont sell a competeing product, but removed the other reference (sorry)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 08:42:16 AM by guydewdney » Logged

Pic of wheel on day 1
7.2kW Waterwheel and 9.8kW PV
martin

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 10:14:27 PM »

erhem! Roll Eyes police
2 spam links in one post!  -you can save yourself the energy of googling for tank makers - Navitron supply the excellent Newark range of tanks, which can be "bespoked" swiftly, and at very reasonable rates...............AND there is a very good substitute for the overpriced neutraliser mentioned (hint, have a rootle in one of Ken's recent posts re woodburners Wink)

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
lightfoot

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 10:19:16 PM »

Hi Phil,

You can't connect a wood stove to a unvented/mains pressure hot water cylinder in the UK.  If you want mains pressure hot water and you have a suitable mains supply, then you can use a open vented thermal store, which can be connected directly to the stove (no coil needed) and also other boilers/heating systems if they are open vented too, if not they will need a coil, as with the solar circuit.  The hot water for the taps is heated on demand as it passes through a coil in the top of the thermal store.  If correctly sized, you can also use the thermal store as a buffer between the wood stove/boiler and the central heating system, so you wouldn't need to worry about using a Dunsley as the store acts as a neutralizer.

You will find plenty of info on thermal stores and wood stoves etc on this site if you have a bit of a look around, or do a quick search.

Good luck,

Lightfoot.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 10:28:55 PM by lightfoot » Logged

Mother Nature is a wonderful housekeeper - but eat her out of house and home and you may just get your marching orders.
guydewdney

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 08:58:42 AM »

Bu**er.

Why cant I connect it? With safety valves etc? I have a 300L megaflow solar (brand new) with solar coil - and the missus wants an aga type thing in the kitchen... Embarrassed

Pic of wheel on day 1
7.2kW Waterwheel and 9.8kW PV
Ivan
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 04:48:24 PM »

something to do with what happens if you boil the water in a pressurised cylinder. What if the safety devices fail etc..

martin

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 05:02:33 PM »

it'd be the world's first orbital water-wheel! Roll Eyes
Wouldn't have a Megaflo in the house for precisely that reason...... wackoteapot

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
lightfoot

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 05:04:24 PM »

Indeed the potential hazard due to poor installations and maintenance is scary, that's why the regs are so tight on unvented cylinders and should only really be installed and maintained by those qualified to do so.....here's another fun clip.

I'm sure if unvented cylinders are installed and maintained correctly, then the chances of any major problems are slim, but I feel you can't beat open vented thermal stores if you want mains pressure hot water, especially in combination with wood boilers etc.

Lightfoot.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 05:28:14 PM by lightfoot » Logged

Mother Nature is a wonderful housekeeper - but eat her out of house and home and you may just get your marching orders.
ajstoneservices
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 10:12:50 PM »

I had seen the first clip before but the mythbusters clip Shocked but to paraphrase our friend Frotter "luv unvented's me" Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: