navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pigging a penstock  (Read 1629 times)
camillitech

« on: November 10, 2018, 07:51:01 AM »

Always wondered how it was done so yesterday went to help a mate do one on Skye https://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/2018/11/10/the-pig-in-a-pipe/ It was jolly good fun, for me at least. My two compatriots got soaked.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
knighty

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 09:46:04 AM »

I think I would have been terrified it would get stuck right in the middle!

Nice job :-)
camillitech

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 10:28:56 AM »

I think I would have been terrified it would get stuck right in the middle!

Nice job :-)

Aye, me too Knighty,

both mine will need doing at some point and I've been terrified of doing them, one penstock is 250m and one 900!!!! Helping John do this one has given me the confidence to 'give it a go'. The owner too was worried, especially when it DID get stuck but that was clearly an error on our behalf due to not having comms. An air release valve had been left open and so the penstock drained without creating a vacuum to suck the pig down the pipe. Lesson learned there, always take 'walkie talkies' cos hydro schemes seldom have a phone signal  Grin

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Philip R

South Cheshire

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 03:03:03 PM »

Paul,

Your "Pigging" procedure for cleaning the penstock was interesting to read about.

Some of the thermal power plants use an online version of this for cleaning steam turbine and other cooler tube nests. The one I have seen is the German
Taprogge system using sponge balls of a diameter slightly larger than the tube id. the balls can be coated in abrasive Pan scourer * Scotchbrite*  or just plain sponge. These would be injected into the cooler inlet water flow and recoverred at the far end via a stainer and extraction port. If the strainers were damaged, the balls were lost to the sea, river and or cooling towers.

Your friends system could have done with a valved Tee off ahead of the turbine spear valve, with it exiting above ground so as to not flood the undergroung turbine  generator  enclosure.

Good result flow increase. However was one pass of the sponge enough to clean the pipe? Especially as the pig broke up.

I would not fancy potholing down penstock to extract a stuck pig without double isolation. The health and safety implications and safe system of work would be horrendous.

Philip R

billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 03:47:50 PM »

well done Paul , must be fun to do such things nowadays  with all your backround collected from a long learnincurve  extrahappy

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
camillitech

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 04:08:40 PM »

Your friends system could have done with a valved Tee off ahead of the turbine spear valve, with it exiting above ground so as to not flood the undergroung turbine  generator  enclosure.

Aye Philip,

John of Manitoba Energy from Raasay (man holding pig bits) usually does exactly that when he installs a system. He did actually quote for this job but ended up loosing it to another company. I suspect they were cheaper cos they didn't include extra valves and a pig extraction method ahead of the turbine shed. I think another pass would have been beneficial too but the pig was dead so to speak  signofcross

I see that company http://pipelinepigging.co.uk/pigs/ does all manner of pigs, even some hollow ones to take a transmitter.

Apparently the name comes from the early ones used on steel pipes that were often bales of hay wrapped with barbed wire. As they went down the penstock, they squealed like a pig  Grin

camillitech

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 04:10:20 PM »

well done Paul , must be fun to do such things nowadays  with all your backround collected from a long learnincurve  extrahappy

Aye Billi, a long and interesting curve indeed, been a while since I did something so new and exciting in the RE field  Grin

desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 05:15:58 PM »

Nice one Paul, good to know the output is back up where it should be, Pigging out a concrete pump is quite exciting too, the neighbour where we are working now has a rendered overlap fence panel sh*tfan it is quite unique I think, luckily part of our contract is to renew all fences fingers crossed!

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
camillitech

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2018, 06:21:46 PM »

Nice one Paul, good to know the output is back up where it should be, Pigging out a concrete pump is quite exciting too, the neighbour where we are working now has a rendered overlap fence panel sh*tfan it is quite unique I think, luckily part of our contract is to renew all fences fingers crossed!

Desp
Hmmmm Desp,

I've a concrete road wheel on me dumper from a similar episode post batching  Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: