navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New export to Grid payments after FITs close  (Read 1922 times)
skyewright

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2018, 06:46:41 PM »

As my PV started on the ROC system (we were only paid for actual export, 28 p/kWh, I think) before transferring to the FIT system, I have an export meter fitted and now I am on FIT, I get paid "actual" export instead of deemed.
So could be useful in the future ,post FIT.
In the early days of FIT, there was a 'Tick here if you'd like an export meter' box on the SSE sign-up form. We ticked the box and have an export meter.

SSE eventually dropped the option. Possibly because they spotted that no one else was offering it?

I know someone who asked a different supplier about having an export meter fitted. IIRC they were quoted 80 a year as a service charge? I can't recall if there would have been an installation fee? Needless to say that person did not choose to have the meter fitted!

Regards
David
3.91kWp PV  (17 x Moser Baer 230 and Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-S-UK), slope 40, WSW, Lat 57 9' (Isle of Skye)
M

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2018, 08:30:51 AM »

Nationally I believe the export average is greater than 50%, ours is ~70%, so little benefit for the companies to measure. Though they may change their minds with batt and EV deployments rising.

A couple of posters on the MSE forum had smart meters installed and their supplier (the same company, possibly OVO, but I forget) switched to metered export.

My FiTs are with EDF and when I was a customer and they offered smart meters I asked if they would meter export, and they said their meters could record the amount of export but that they wouldn't base export payments on it.

Assuming smart meters are rolled out, then metering export should be simple (already done) so a payment for said export shouldn't be difficult at all ...... so I doubt it'll happen!

I suppose we should also consider the value of the leccy export at the time of export, since midday PV export in the summer will have a lower value. I average 20kWh per day gen in the summer, of which I consume 5kWh. If I could add a batt 10kWh+, then after covering import, only 2.5kWh per day, I could discharge something in the region of 10kWh at peak evening demand, which will presumably have a higher value than during the day.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
sbchapman

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2018, 10:02:42 AM »

On an early FIT install (Dec 2011) with 50% deemed export I contacted my FIT licensee (Ecotricity) to arrange to have an export meter fitted after about a year.
The decision was based on rough calcs comparing generation and consumption using a IHD (realtime in-house display).
Ecotricity were very reasonable and only charged for the meter, not labour. (~80 IIRC)

Since then our export has been ~85% per quarter in the summer dropping to ~70% in Winter, and extra income for *actual* export has paid the cost 5 times over.
However, with benefit of hindsight I would reconsider this decision now we have an EV with smart charging (Zappi) and an iBoost for space (not DHW) heating. Only had the EV 5 months so time will tell .....

Thermal: 4x Schott ETC16
PV: 3.9 kWp (20xSchott Mono Perform 195Wp)
Boilermate Thermal Store
SMA SB400TL-20
Clearview Pioneer 5kW
Woodwarm 9kW
Windsmithy Arthur 6kW
1 anemometer (sadly no turbine)
brackwell

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2018, 10:46:08 AM »

I am absolutly amazed that you can export that % .  I guess you are out all day and not consuming when the PV is generating.  I am trying to get it to zero export with the help of EV and diverter, probably around 10% now but i am retired.

Ken
sbchapman

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2018, 01:28:01 PM »

No - at least one of us is around all day. Maybe my draconian appliance and lighting efforts to reduce parasitic loads over the last 10 years have paid off!
(Pre-EV*) daily consumption down from 12kWh/day to ~3kWh/day and annual leccy bill down to ~250pa.

Seriously considering additional PV as I have the panels and inverter in the garage, just need to get a G59 application in, but will need to notify FIT licensee regarding export, and struggling with the the fact that my export income will be reduced proportionally on TIC (not DNC). My belief is that a heavily DC overloaded inverter would serve us better without battery storage (eg 2MWp/1.2MVA) allowing me to meet the minimum charge current for the EV for longer, but additionally start and continue generation longer throughout the day to maximise self-consumption when the FIT system isn't generating or generating a very small amount.
The add-on would have a much lower specific yield but without FIT (or paid export), you would traditionally expect higher specific yield to be more advantageous, but I already have most baseload covered with the FIT system and don't want to impact income from that with my adventures with additional PV for the EV.

*All about to change now in Winter as the EV is being charged more by grid than green using Zappi so taking all PV power and then some. iBoost is only space heating using small electric heater.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 01:37:21 PM by sbchapman » Logged

Boilermate Thermal Store
SMA SB400TL-20
Clearview Pioneer 5kW
Woodwarm 9kW
Windsmithy Arthur 6kW
DonL

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2018, 03:01:35 PM »

On an early FIT install (Dec 2011) with 50% deemed export I contacted my FIT licensee (Ecotricity) to arrange to have an export meter fitted after about a year.
The decision was based on rough calcs comparing generation and consumption using a IHD (realtime in-house display).
Ecotricity were very reasonable and only charged for the meter, not labour. (~80 IIRC)

Since then our export has been ~85% per quarter in the summer dropping to ~70% in Winter, and extra income for *actual* export has paid the cost 5 times over.
However, with benefit of hindsight I would reconsider this decision now we have an EV with smart charging (Zappi) and an iBoost for space (not DHW) heating. Only had the EV 5 months so time will tell .....

That's very interesting, how much do Ecotricity pay for export?
Don

Schuco solar hot water - 3300kWh/annum, 16 BP 4175N PV panels - 2.8kWp, log burner and back boiler and 18 Ying Li 235 PV panels - 4.2kWp, 42kW ground mount PV, 9kW Panasonic ASHP
brackwell

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2018, 03:19:10 PM »

and the meter is capable of running backwards ?

Ken
sbchapman

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2018, 05:06:01 PM »

The original meter at the house before the PV install wasn't capable of running backwards and stayed when the PV was originally installed.

My request to Ecotricity (FIT Licensee) was to fit an import / export meter so I could claim export. The 80 (IIRC) was for the new meter only - I've heard others charge for installation too, around 300-400?

So yes, the new meter is a digital one, Landis & Gyr E100 which is capable of measuring export.

Export is the applicable rate for year my system was installed: Dec 2011 3.72p/kWh versus 5.24p/kWh for more recent systems (see https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/environmental-programmes/fit/fit-tariff-rates)

PS Having looked up the E100 I've found these can be had for 9.99 so maybe I was charged for install afterall! (or the value of them has dropped with the advent of smart meters)

Boilermate Thermal Store
SMA SB400TL-20
Clearview Pioneer 5kW
Woodwarm 9kW
Windsmithy Arthur 6kW
DonL

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2018, 10:49:25 PM »

When I chose to sell my metered export, it was a single meter for my three PV systems, all of which had been installed at different times. This might explain why my export contract is not based on FIT rates and is at the commercial rate available from Good Energy. It does show that there is a market for exported power outside the FIT arrangements.

Schuco solar hot water - 3300kWh/annum, 16 BP 4175N PV panels - 2.8kWp, log burner and back boiler and 18 Ying Li 235 PV panels - 4.2kWp, 42kW ground mount PV, 9kW Panasonic ASHP
Mudman

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2018, 01:36:56 PM »

https://www.solarpowerportal.co.uk/news/government_confirms_export_tariff_cull

Confirmation that they won't pay for exported power once the FITs have been culled.  Huh
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: