navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A very good head light  (Read 698 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« on: November 25, 2018, 06:45:39 PM »

Some 18 months ago Mrs Biff bought a couple of these headlights,

These are very good and a recharge lasts a good 6 hours at least. recharging is simply through a small lead into your laptop usp. or your Samsung Galaxy charger. The company that makes and sells them have a variety of very powerful ones  very reasonably priced. We ordered two more They cost around 20 euros. for the pair. The original pair were a lot cheaper.
 Like a lot of others good products they have a little nasty habit of conking out completely when the battery gets too low.. They don,t noticeably dim before they conk out which is annoying because you get very little warning so we always carry another small pocket torch to get us back to the house.
  Try and get the one in the pic. They have 2 luminous buttons on top which is handy if you drop it in the dark. You save a fortune on the batteries as well as doing your bit for the planet.
                                    Biff
  I have absolutely no connection with the company. It is just that the light provided by these little headlights is second to none. They do a lot more than 6 hours but it is safe to say 6 hours, Grin.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 06:51:12 PM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
rogeriko

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 06:55:31 PM »

This is my latest addition, great for working on equipment because of the even widespread light. Only £7. I bought 3 of them.

* headlamp.jpg (307.63 KB, 1600x1600 - viewed 303 times.)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 10:17:14 PM by rogeriko » Logged

stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 09:08:40 PM »

I do like the cob lamps. I found a worklight version on the verge where it probably fell off a trail bike. It has worked for a year now. Unfortunately he didn’t drop the charger but I’ve managed with a 4.5V mains adaptor, although I do keep an eye on it. It is very bright and even light but only lasts about 15 minutes. It does have a single super led mode to save power.
Stan
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 09:10:48 PM by stannn » Logged

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
kristen

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 12:22:13 PM »

Nothing to contribute on the head-light front, but I got fed up with torches that were not powerful enough to find my dogs at night when they do a bunk ... so I bought a Fenix PD35 V2.0. Runs off a 18650 (rechargeable) battery, and is the brightest torch I've ever owned, and although I'm only out for 5-10 minutes each night I can't remember the last time I charged it - probably a month, or more, ago.  Mine came from

https://www.knivesandtools.co.uk/en/ct/led-torches.htm
https://www.knivesandtools.co.uk/en/pt/-fenix-pd35-led-torch.htm

Not cheap. Sorry about that ...

That website says that its default mode is 350 lumens, (5 hours) and the Turbo mode is 1000 lumens.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 12:24:09 PM by kristen » Logged
Fionn

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 02:11:28 PM »

While we're sharing, I've been using one of these torches for about 2 years now:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182127240500
The price has gone up by 55p since I ordered but it's still under £7  Grin

I had to re-solder the spring to the end cap this year, but has otherwise been flawless.
It has a good zoom, decent optics and is well constructed.

I also have a single 18650 non-zoomable version, however I think 2 cells are a better option for the extended run time and increased interval between charging.
I've a steady supply of cells from old laptop packs and got 2 simple discharge testers from Ali Express to sort the wheat from the chaff.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC-12V-Battery-Capacity-Tester-Lithium-Test-Life-Internal-Resistance-Analyzer/32748385509.html

I haven't tried any COB ones yet but plan to.
Are the COB chips more efficient in lumens/watt terms than the likes of high quality single chip Cree LEDs?

6.75kW PV - 2.75kW East, 1.5kW South, 2.5kW West. 3 x Flat Plate Solar Thermal with side arm FPHE on 268L cylinder
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 04:00:12 PM »

I bought a cheapie elasticated thing for £8, hacksawed the plastic head-bit off it and the knicker-elastic straps, then cable-tied it to the old lamp-bracket on my push-bike. It gets charged every other month on low-power, or monthly on high-power. The 18650 supplied was carp, so now has ex-laptop job. Very good on dark nights, reduces the number of near-misses  Smiley

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
Fionn

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 04:11:21 PM »

Yes, certainly best to buy any of these lights without batteries if possible.
The best cells I've found so far are grey Panasonic NCR18650s.
I charge most using little USB lithium charger boards which again cost pennies.

6.75kW PV - 2.75kW East, 1.5kW South, 2.5kW West. 3 x Flat Plate Solar Thermal with side arm FPHE on 268L cylinder
kristen

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 05:21:47 PM »

Took a moment for my ageing brain to get the orientation for that photo ... I thought it was an exhaust manifold and then the old brain thought "Push bikes have changed since I were a lad ..." ... sad but true
mr_magicfingers

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 11:05:54 AM »

This is my latest addition, great for working on equipment because of the even widespread light. Only £7. I bought 3 of them.

Roger, where did you get those from, they look ideal to keep in the car for emergencies.

Solar PV: 6kw (24 x REC 250w), Sunny Boy 3600TL-21, roof facing 178° at 40° slope.
300l Thermal Store, 2 x 3kw immersions via Immersun + Dunsley Yorkshire WBS
Woodwarm Double sided 6kw WBS
7 acres of old woodland I'm slowly bringing back into order.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 12:35:34 PM »

Hi mf.
      If you do a quick Google into the  name on the box in my opening  post it will lead you  I to their site which has a range of headlights  that will make your  eyes pop out. They are at very reasonable prices. The onest in my post. The ones that came in that box are very good performers Ineed.  Very bright light. Rogers could be  used for laming rabbits easill. You would need to  be very carefuel wire the one si gle cree beam that he has. It could cause a serious accident by accidentally blinding  an oncoming driver..
 And something else. If you are going  for very long  walks in total darkness.  You do need to  bring a spare light. These rechargeables die suddenly  with  absolutely  no warning.. the hardly  dim at all. They just go out copletely and will not work again unt charged. hysteria. It's no joke.
       Biff.

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
rogeriko

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2018, 11:37:42 PM »

Roger, where did you get those from, they look ideal to keep in the car for emergencies.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352490337690

I charge them up from the usb cable overnight and on cob mode the light lasts all day working on CHP Engines.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 11:57:03 PM by rogeriko » Logged

supremetwo

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2018, 01:14:01 AM »

I charge them up from the usb cable overnight and on cob mode the light lasts all day working on CHP Engines.
From your link:-
Rechargeable Headlamp: USB charge, model of battery required: 2 x 18650 Battery 3.7v or 3*AA Battery (not included).

So does it come with the 2 x 18650?

JohnS

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2018, 09:40:35 AM »

Hi Supremo

You are being very optimistic to interpret that statement as 18650 battery included and AA battery not included.  Else where it states:

Package Includes:
1 x Rechargeable Headlamp
1 x USB Cord

ie no batteries.

However, there are other similar headlights on ebay which include 18650 batteries if you look at similar items.  However, they come from china instead of the UK and may not arrive in time for Christmas.

2.1kWp solar PV
mr_magicfingers

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2018, 11:04:47 AM »

Thanks very much. One of my zebralight headtorches has died and I'm not sure it's fixable yet. Think something a bit cheaper for putting in the cars is in order.

Solar PV: 6kw (24 x REC 250w), Sunny Boy 3600TL-21, roof facing 178° at 40° slope.
300l Thermal Store, 2 x 3kw immersions via Immersun + Dunsley Yorkshire WBS
Woodwarm Double sided 6kw WBS
7 acres of old woodland I'm slowly bringing back into order.
rogeriko

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2018, 10:27:10 PM »

If you buy a headlight with batteries they will send you the cheapest and most useless batteries that exist. Buy without batteries and you can buy good quality 18650 batteries thet have real power. Better still buy an original laptop battery and pull it apart for 6/8 top quality batteries.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: