navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Google's airborne wind turbines  (Read 253 times)
dan_b

« on: December 07, 2018, 09:40:09 AM »

https://www.teslarati.com/google-x-clean-energy-kite-wind-power-generation-anywhere/

600kW output from flying at 1400ft. Bonkers.

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery
GarethC

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 10:37:24 AM »

What do people think about these airborne wind generation ideas? Can get far higher than ground mounts, so better winds (and positive implications for wildlife safety and views), seem like they would be cheaper to build and commission (far less steel as cables involve much less than towers, foundations maybe easier). Can be withdrawn if conditions are too bad. Presumably can undergo maintenance easily. Problems might be I'm not sure how big they can realistically get (megawatts possible?), getting them up there might be tough. Long story short, I think this kind of tech sounds very interesting. What do others think?
dan_b

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 10:50:20 AM »

I think it's over-complicating what is a very simple solution - a big bladed turbine atop a very tall tower.

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 10:53:04 AM »

This one looks like a camel to me. Power output limited by hi tech wing having to support heavy generators. Looks liable to get wrecked during take-off or landing.
All kites could bring down an aircraft.
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
andrewellis

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 10:55:41 AM »

It would have to be deployed in remote areas only.  People complained about the noise on normal turbines and this is a whole other level.  It'll be interesting to see how they launch them in places with variable wind directions too.  Is that landing platform moveable?  Cool idea though.

4.8kw Solar PV JA Panels, SolarEdge inverter inbound
Nibe F1255 12kw GSHP -> Radiators
Nissan Leaf
MeatyFool

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 11:01:10 AM »

Several years ago, there was mention of a helium balloon with a wind turbine in the middle.  Steerable I think, and tethered to the ground with separate power cable.

Similar, can be landed to avoid bad conditions and reeled back out at will.

No threat to aircraft - governments are very good at setting up no fly zones.

I wonder about sound issues from vibrations on the tether?

Meatyfool..
oliver90owner

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 11:19:35 AM »

Next - the 1kW chocolate teapot tethered above every domestic property? Smiley

Iíll don my tin hat (in case of entanglement, failed fishing line tether, or anything else which may let gravity take over)!

On a more sensible/serious note - what would one connect them to, in remote areas?  Good idea, maybe, but not too many scenarios for deployment?
GarethC

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 11:34:27 AM »

So, you all think this will be an inevitable and unqualified success  Wink

There's an alternative being trialled in Scotland which is just huge kites that use the lift generated to turn turbines at ground level. Much simpler and lighter gubbins in the air. Would need a hugely strong cable though the higher the output.

The flexibility of location point seems a major plus for these things. If you can get them above any obstructions (helicopter or blimp to get them off ground), you could put them in a lot of places.

Re sound, given they're so high up, surely sound at ground level wouldn't be much?
Bodidly

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 11:34:46 AM »

I liked this idea when it was first broached https://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,16430.0.html
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 11:42:47 AM »

The take off and landing are scary stuff,
                            I could not help but wonder why they could not deploy two gas filled, self leveling, hydraulic rams, that could gently reach up and grab the plane to guide the plane down onto the rests.
 It is simply hard to believe that they would risk the whole show on such a primitive and unstable landing. Take off could also be assisted by the same rams.
   I recall here on Navitron , years ago. Large Box kites that housed Turbines inside them. They actually worked.
   This has the smell of a video game more than anything else.
                                                 Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
M

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 12:19:55 PM »

I found this idea pretty interesting about 10yrs ago, and thought something would happen when Google took it over about 5yrs ago, but since then the news items seem to say nothing knew, year after year, whereas WT's get cheaper and bigger, cheaper and bigger. I wonder if progress has stalled.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 12:42:19 PM »

Hmmmm  flyingpig
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 01:56:17 PM »

My heart would take up permanent residence in my mouth if I live anywhere near this machine. The prospect of all that engineering effort turning to scrap at the hands of a saboteur / wind-shear / lightning etc...  Shocked

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: