navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Small car for senior citizen  (Read 3551 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2018, 11:06:25 AM »

Pappas for courses.
   When our dearest Pappa forsook Henry and looked towards S Korea. We were all taken aback. The long intermitted line of Henry Jalopies. This man had bought his V8 Custom lines from Henry.s factory in Cork in the 50s. When he landed back to his house with a black nondescript  foreign  yoke we were thinking that maybe he was getting  sensible  at last. It was new but a very small badge said Gti.It was  80th birthday present to himself. I knew nothing about  these machines but the very first blast out the Antrim Line put that much pressure on my spine it reminded me of an old green/white Lotus Mk1 Cortina that I drove for a short while in the late 60s except that the Hyundai had proper seats. This thing was an absolute  animal but only 1600cc. The engine was sealed in from view but you could view it in the accompanying  manual.I sat in it just that once. My presence only encouraged  him to put the shoe to the board. He stuck with Hyundai till he died at 94. His last dark green lantra was just a year old. It was his 4th Hyundai.
I had Jags and good Volvos in my 20s but could only afford the Family tractors when my kids were growing up.
I would be content  to drive about in a little coal scoop with wheels like the present one as long as it keeps the rain out and passes the law. My old man would not get into it never mind drive it yet it does everything remarkable  well at 40 to the gallon. My son like my Dad listens to the Vs like we listen to  music. He sold his Fiat 500 Abarth for a surprisingly  good price and returned to the land of the Hemis. His first purchase was a 12 pot job. Sometimes I think he winds me up a bit too much when I go " holy fxxk could you not have bought something
Decent" however he is changing  to a different model that has a special Alternator that can do 6 different  things. It's a breed of Hybrid. The alternator assists acceleration. It still does 6 to the gallon. I did ask if it was possible to buy the alternator  on its own. He does not drive very much any more. His last works road trip was 2000miles+ to spread the gospel and make new friends for the company. That works trip provex that the cars over there are no more  reliable than our own. The first car blew the engine and the Company replaced it. After he got back home he thanked the driver for looking after everything and remarked that it was a good trip apart from the first car lying down. The driver laughed and said. "Well we got a flat as well"
My Dad would Polish and tweak his cars. My son likewise. Strange  how it skips the generations.
Horses for courses. There are some folks who will not downsize to the end.
     Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Bodidly

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2018, 11:46:44 AM »

Does ‘lane deparure warning’ work on hilly country lanes?

Yes not sure departing these lanes would be a good idea

kristen

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2018, 04:38:16 PM »

Does ‘lane deparure warning’ work on hilly country lanes?

Pretty difficult not to cross the median line (where there is one) on the (narrow & twisty) country roads round here ... but I have quite a large car.  Probably still handy though, even with the false-alerts ... when venturing further afield on well marked A-roads if the Alert sounds there will probably be a good reason.

AEB probably also worthwhile. I've had [the alarm part of] mine go off when briefly looking down at the dash on dual-carriageway when traffic ahead slowed down abruptly ... but car was driving itself at that point, so other than me looking up somewhat alarmed, and heart speeding up, I didn't have to actually DO anything Smiley
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 04:43:04 PM by kristen » Logged
supremetwo

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2018, 08:58:26 PM »

‘easy to get in and out of’ was a consideration with Mrs Chas changing from her V40 estate... chose a VW Golf Plus. Also, for the first time in her life, an auto. A significant degree higher, more economical, good build (the car, the car) no complaints after nearly a year. Thinking about it, probably more space than the estate...Chas
The newer VW Polos are as large as the older Golfs.
We have the Polo Match 1.4l petrol with fully-auto 7-speed DSG gearbox and it is roomy, very easy to drive, economical and reliable.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/transmissions-and-drivetrains/automatic

peterboat

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2018, 11:31:35 PM »

A nice Nissan Leaf, early 24KW model would be ok for him
Bodidly

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2018, 10:47:02 AM »

‘easy to get in and out of’ was a consideration with Mrs Chas changing from her V40 estate... chose a VW Golf Plus. Also, for the first time in her life, an auto. A significant degree higher, more economical, good build (the car, the car) no complaints after nearly a year. Thinking about it, probably more space than the estate...Chas
The newer VW Polos are as large as the older Golfs.
We have the Polo Match 1.4l petrol with fully-auto 7-speed DSG gearbox and it is roomy, very easy to drive, economical and reliable.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/transmissions-and-drivetrains/automatic

I wont get him near VW. He went to buy a golf 5-6 years ago. We booked a drive in advance and arrived on time. Sat there for an hour waiting for someone to be available. No apology no coffee nothing. Dad lost his rag and we left. On the way home dropped into Skoda who sold him a car in less time that he had sat there waiting. The Octavia was less than the golf with the same engine so it worked out well at the time.
oliver90owner

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2018, 03:43:28 PM »

Skoda is part of the VW group!  Just a different dealer attitude, I expect.
Barrie

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2018, 04:52:51 PM »

Funny, I only suffered from asthma for the two and a half years that I had a Passat as a company car. Although the Doctor's records back up my case I have no contract with VW so they won't deal with me. The same engine was in Skoda, Audi and Seat products so I won't touch any of them now.
(Climbs down off wooden box)

Milton Keynes Vauxhall Insignia EcoTech
camillitech

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2018, 05:08:13 PM »

Funny, I only suffered from asthma for the two and a half years that I had a Passat as a company car. Although the Doctor's records back up my case I have no contract with VW so they won't deal with me. The same engine was in Skoda, Audi and Seat products so I won't touch any of them now.
(Climbs down off wooden box)

Well, you have lost me there Barrie, how do you get asthma from the engine? The seats, carpets, headlining, trim, heater, pollen filter perhaps but the engine wackoold

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Bodidly

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2018, 06:31:45 PM »

Having looked at quite a lot of models today looks like he is going for another Skoda. Either a Yeti or Fabia for the same reason he had a Skoda last time in that the others dealers couldn't be bothered to help where as Skoda made it all easy for him. No one offered him a hybrid variant for the use required and he didn't fancy an uphill struggle nor me for that matter. The Dacia was probably the next best option and looked very good value.

Thanks all for the help and advise
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 06:48:38 PM by Bodidly » Logged
camillitech

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2018, 06:37:37 PM »

Yeti

I do like the Yeti but it does have a pish towing capacity, not that that should be an issue, would seriously consider one for me wife though  genuflect

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
offthegridandy

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2018, 07:38:43 PM »

Do you meas the wife has Pish towing capacity Paul?

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw WT H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia AC coupled
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 K wood stove
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2018, 10:25:53 PM »

When I was a kid,
               There were Skodas in our town. Quite a big heavy car. Very very similar in design to the Volvo Amazon . The Borgward Isabella and the Amazon were in competition .
    The DKW 3,6 was a favorite of mine especially in Black and Yellow, A friend had one. The Skoda back then would have been regarded as one of the best cars in that class.
   They were considered a very respectable car.
   A short time later the market was flooded with Renaults , Simcas, NSUs. They were not good.
 Ford had 3 bearing engines in their Consuls, Prefects and Anglias, (upright). Even in the 100E.
   Austin A30 was a cracking good little car 4speed and 45 to the gallon.. The Morris Minor that everyone loved broke my heart. The Anglia 105 was excellent but for the rust.
 The DKW 3.6 had a big fat coil for each of it,s 3 cylinders. Just like Mrs Biff,s little Sirion but 2 stroke instead of 4 like the Sirion.
 The original Beetle was not a German design, The Original was twice the size and Czech. There are still a couple alive to this day.
   Cars,,,who needs them, Bahhh fume Grin
                            Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
camillitech

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2018, 06:44:20 AM »

Do you meas the wife has Pish towing capacity Paul?

Wife has no towing capacity Andy  hysteria

camillitech

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2018, 06:47:22 AM »

Borgward Isabella

Me dear departed father in law had a beautiful red and cream coupe, not many of those left now.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: