navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: charging LA batteries with a fork lift charger  (Read 630 times)
bobbybaz

« on: December 18, 2018, 01:12:30 PM »

Thinking of getting a fork lift battery charger to top up a bank of batteries using a generator. The battery bank is 350 Ah (Nameplate capacity) at 48 volts, Flooded lead acid Trojans. The system has 4 kw of PV but recent very low light has resulted in low battery SOC. Charger I have found is 40 amps at 48v single phase. Is there any reason why this would be problematic ?  There is a dump load controller to dump excess when the batteries are full, in case the charger takes the voltage too high. This is not intended as a regular operation, just a means of getting the batteries back from their low SOC.

4 kw PV.  12m sq. Thermal flat plate collectors. Okofen pellet boiler.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 02:13:40 PM »

sounds fine  with me ,  through the bulk phase anyway , but absorption charge voltage might be  higher in the fork lift charger , then the trojans recomendation

So i would not  charge them completely full perhaps , without watching the voltage and the water , best let the PV finish the charge ( if sun  coming  whistlie )

Regards Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
knighty

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 05:42:44 PM »

didn't frotter kill his lard generator by using it to power a forklift charger?

iirc something was posted along the lines of, generators don;t like powering the big transformers... or something like that?
camillitech

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 07:52:23 PM »

didn't frotter kill his lard generator by using it to power a forklift charger?

iirc something was posted along the lines of, generators don;t like powering the big transformers... or something like that?

Methinks there is something in this as I had problems with a charger that was supposed to be 3kW but the 3kW Lister would not look at it (not even close). The 6 and 7kW ones operated it OK but they seemed to be working much harder than 'what the charger said on the tin'. The charger seemed to put much more load on the generators than resistive loads of the same (or even higher) value. I guess it's just a case of making sure the generator has plenty of 'headroom'.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
rogeriko

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 12:21:27 AM »

Old heavy transformer chargers are notoriously inefficient. A 3kw charger will probably draw 5kw when charging.

camillitech

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 05:27:13 AM »

Old heavy transformer chargers are notoriously inefficient. A 3kw charger will probably draw 5kw when charging.

Shocked That would be about right I guess Rog, it sounded like around 5kW, I didn't realise anything was 'that' inefficient.

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 06:51:54 AM »

A small diesel or electric driven 2kw x 48 volt pmg will work through a rectifier block and an ordinary  controller.
I charge a 120 volt pack just like that except  it is managed through an ordinary  wind turbine controller. Very simple.
           Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
camillitech

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 07:17:19 AM »

A small diesel or electric driven 2kw x 48 volt pmg will work through a rectifier block and an ordinary  controller.
I charge a 120 volt pack just like that except  it is managed through an ordinary  wind turbine controller. Very simple.
           Biff

Perhaps even drive the PMG from the generator prime mover if you already have the genny.

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 07:38:37 AM »

Yup.
     However a good W/T pmg delivers it's  2kw charge @ 56v x35amp approx. It can cruise at that but needs to turn below 400rpm.
So small 3.5hp yanmar clone can drive it with a 60mm pulley to the 500mm pulley on the PMG.
 I recon that this is about as efficient  as you can get.
 We have ours set on half throttle and 12 to 9 amps @ 145vdc.
        Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 07:49:59 AM »

My present endeavours  are all about getting a 6.5 horse single cylinder Lifan to drive a 180 watt alt. Then when it is set up properly  switch  it to bottle gas. I believe that this can be done quite simply.
The only reason that I am reading up and working with  car alt is because  there are some very interesting toys inside them these days.
        Biff

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: