navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mastervolt Sunmaster XS3200 failure  (Read 436 times)
Dave Fowler

« on: January 04, 2019, 05:38:06 PM »

Yesterday, when recording the day's figures from my two solar panel systems, I noticed that the output from System 1 was about half of what I expected. Today I've kept watch on the generation from the inverter and noted that the output falls to zero for brief periods and then recovers again.  This happens every ten minutes or so. This is happening both in bright and shaded conditions.

The error light flashes and the error code says HW FAIL 3. Checking on the internet, this seems to be a relatively common problem and most people are saying that the Sunmaster series is rubbish. They say it's not worth repairing. It probably isn't worth having it repaired, but I'm quite capable and competent to work on the inverter in my workshop. Has anyone had any experience of this problem and its cure?

If I can't find the fault I will have to buy a new inverter. Whilst the XS3200 has only a single MPPT, I'll be looking for a dual MPPT unit as I have quite serious shading on one of the two strings which feed the inverter.

Any help would be appreciated.

DF
rogeriko

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 07:41:14 PM »

With the cost of new inverters its not worth bothering with. A brand new 3.6kw 2 MPPT inverter like a Solis is only 400. Just buy a new one.

ProDave

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 02:23:46 PM »

I just bought a new (old stock) 4KW dual mppt Trannergy inverter for 255 from ebay

4KW Solar PV,  4.5KW woodburner, 5KW Air source heat pump
Dave Fowler

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 06:09:52 PM »

I've just gone ahead and bought a 3kW Solax.  Should arrive next week.  The old inverter has almost given up now; 32Wh total today!  Fortunately, at this time of the year I'm not loosing too much.  The failure has happened at the right time of year!
DF
daveluck_uk

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 06:32:37 PM »

Have you gone for the WiFi connected version?

Just wondering if you have if you are going to join  there network for data reporting and updates? I couldn't work out if its optional or imperative to join to see production and historical production etc.
Dave Fowler

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 12:32:32 PM »

Have you gone for the WiFi connected version?

Just wondering if you have if you are going to join  there network for data reporting and updates? I couldn't work out if its optional or imperative to join to see production and historical production etc.
I purchased the WiFi dongle as an add-on for the inverter (it plugs in on the lower edge).  Having set up the WiFi connection to the cloud I am now able to monitor the output from the inverter using their cloud app (not their portal app).  You can also change the inverter set-up via the app which saves me having to climb up into the loft to do the final settings.

DF
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: