navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thermal store  (Read 2290 times)
RIT

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 09:12:51 PM »

Once again a massive thanks for the information.
I've got the pump wired to a plug in the kitchen and put it on when stove reaches about 80 degrees..
This where I could do with help as in whats the best way to wire it..
Yeah I do remember the little air vent at the top.
I'll keep experimenting with it,loft space is very small thats why this cube tank was sized by the company..
Would a bigger stove cope better ?
Any advice on best to wire pump would be appreciated.
There's a space for a stat to be fitted to tank but I believe it's for the overheat stat.

Thanks again.

You now have a project that a good few people here would love to spend time fixing with a whole host of possible solutions, but your questions indicate such projects are not the top of your list.

Today with the pump plugged in downstairs and the tank in the loft, and cold weather due any day I would say just spend less than 11 (inc P&P) and purchase one of these.

https: //www.screwfix.com/p/masterplug-plug-in-mechanical-daily-24-hour-timer-240v/25518

You can then set the pump to operate on for 15mins and then off for 15 mins, and just repeat the cycle around the clock. When you turn it off at the wall it will stay off and when you turn it back on just rotate it until it reaches the on part of the cycle.

It is not the final solution, but that will take time. This device should help for now.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 09:27:57 PM by RIT » Logged

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
duke700

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2019, 09:32:27 PM »

Hey thanks for that.
I am keen for a solution but after getting advice on TS and Woodburner and ending up with this system... I thought it would be best to join the forum and see if I could get a accurate solution , time is not an issue I just want to get this right..
Many thanks for your help.
daveluck_uk

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2019, 10:14:13 PM »

Do you have any sensor pockets on the tank?

If you do then you can use one of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Elitech-UK-220V-Digital-USTC-1000-50-99-Thermostat-Temperature-Controller/272449421127?epid=2254761854&hash=item3f6f403f47:g:G3MAAOSwB09YKeJC&redirect=mobile

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-220V-STC-1000-W1209-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-Regulator-W-Sensor/291999078334?hash=item43fc8057be:m:mRZPDBU9MeSX724qG_h9ftA&redirect=mobile

( or similar ) Wired to your pump. You can program turn on at xc and turn off at yc. But you need to have somewhere on the tank to insert the sensor.

What tank do you have?

Edit +1 to RIT...that'll get you started.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 10:18:30 PM by daveluck_uk » Logged
knighty

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2019, 10:10:17 AM »

why not fit something like this... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272449421127 ?

I use them a lot at work... displays temperature and has built in relays you can wire your pump too, so it turns it on/off as needed

can also set the delta between on and off temperatures... so if you want it to run at 80 set it to 70 +/-10, it'll come on at 80 and turn off again at 60

temperature display will be handy

uses under 3watts of power, can switch 10amps on/off through the relay :-)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2019, 12:59:54 PM »

That is an excellent  thermo control kit Kighty.
 I must have used at least a dozen of those ones with the orange support clips on the sides. I have used them in Freezer to fridge conversions. In cooling PMG.  In cooling Diesel engine. They come in 220 to 240ac and  12V /24v/48v. I have never know them to fail or refuse to work on any project. They are sold under different  brands but all come from the Orient. I still keep 4 or 5 tucked away somewhere. Grin. They really do a lot for the size of them.
Of course I have no interest  in the company.
        Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
daveluck_uk

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2019, 01:28:35 PM »

why not fit something like this... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272449421127 ?

I use them a lot at work... displays temperature and has built in relays you can wire your pump too, so it turns it on/off as needed

can also set the delta between on and off temperatures... so if you want it to run at 80 set it to 70 +/-10, it'll come on at 80 and turn off again at 60

temperature display will be handy

uses under 3watts of power, can switch 10amps on/off through the relay :-)

Erm...Isn't that the same thing I linked to? Good to see great minds think alike.

And we have a 3rd recommendation from Biff. Clearly this is the way to go!

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2019, 01:52:08 PM »

Oooops
    Sorry Dave  surrender I do gaffe now and then.
           Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
daveluck_uk

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2019, 02:01:37 PM »

Oooops
    Sorry Dave  surrender I do gaffe now and then.
           Biff

Lol! O need to be sorry...I'm just being precious.

To be honest I want to see dukes system running half decently.

I'm struggling as to why it was recommended to install a system with no trvs?  But then I'm hopelessly out of date as to what the latest recommendations are with solid fuel boilers.

Tinbum

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2019, 05:18:06 PM »

https: //www.screwfix.com/p/masterplug-plug-in-mechanical-daily-24-hour-timer-240v/25518

or try

https: //cpc.farnell.com/search?st=timer%20mechanical

much cheaper!!

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
duke700

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2019, 07:03:16 PM »

Hi guys
The tank is a cubeflow from Mcdonald Engineering.
It has an outlet which the overheat stat is for but i could use it as I've built in a blow of on the stove circuit and also the tank has a blow of as well.
I'll check out ebay,thanks
One thing that isn't helping is the house isn't well insulated,I have fitted a sheet of Kingspan  round the store as well to help.

Is that Biff from the group Saxon!?
daveluck_uk

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2019, 07:57:19 PM »

Hi guys
The tank is a cubeflow from Mcdonald Engineering.
It has an outlet which the overheat stat is for but i could use it as I've built in a blow of on the stove circuit and also the tank has a blow of as well.
I'll check out ebay,thanks
One thing that isn't helping is the house isn't well insulated,I have fitted a sheet of Kingspan  round the store as well to help.

Is that Biff from the group Saxon!?

So can you give more details about the tank?

Reading the manuals the central heating is an additional extra so do you have a description of the options installed.

So by the looks of it you have, quite low down, a mechanical thermometer. Can this be removed and the sensor from the  digital temperature controller inserted into the pocket that that thermometer is in?

Therese also an option for a cylinder thermostat which I think would control the boiler or possibly the immersions. Do you have this fitted?  Is the stove your only heat source. If it is and you have the cylinder thermostat fitted you could use that to fire up the boiler.

Not sure I'd remove the overheat protection...but maybe someone who has more experience about such things can advise on that.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 08:06:29 PM by daveluck_uk » Logged
regen

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2019, 09:04:09 PM »

Reading through your thread it looks as though the store is in the attic and from the manufacturers manual has 50 mm insulation. Whilst i don't know your circumstances I suspect that the losses to the attic space could amount to 5kw per day based on the manufactures stated loss and most attics being considerably colder than the house itself.

Our store is 300 litres and is located in first floor bathroom with 50mm manufacturers insulation and as a result is consistently about 4 des C warmer than the rest of the house i.e. house 21 deg bathroom 25 deg. Only a small amount of loss but when you are nursing the system every little helps. Maybe another 50 mm insulation round store?

Regen

3.92w freestanding PV with sb3300 +Imersun
21kw Stratford T70 woodburner
 300litre thermalstore with 3kw and 1kw immersions
 Wall star 25kw oil boiler
  Spring water supply with uv and ro membrane
 Sheep, poly tunnel and approx 80 sq m of raised veg beds.
duke700

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2019, 03:34:18 PM »

Hi

Once again thanks

The tank has the digital thermometer and i added in solar thermal outlets and also outlets for a for an external plate??
There's two solar probe outlets and two emmersiers and one heat stat.
I only have the boiler stove as a main heat source.
I've added 70mm kingspan around the TS ,only the front has no extra lagging .
The attic itself isn't well insulated, house was only bought last year and priority was getting the heating in..
New windows this year and internal walls will be removed and upgraded with insulation, this should make a difference....

regen

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2019, 04:00:43 PM »

"New windows this year and internal walls will be removed and upgraded with insulation, this should make a difference."

Do you mean insulating the inside of the external walls? There is no need to insulate any of the internal partition walls -you probably know this but i did manage to do one before i realised-Doh!

Also insulate all the pipes to and from the store- to do this well is quite difficult.

Regen

3.92w freestanding PV with sb3300 +Imersun
21kw Stratford T70 woodburner
 300litre thermalstore with 3kw and 1kw immersions
 Wall star 25kw oil boiler
  Spring water supply with uv and ro membrane
 Sheep, poly tunnel and approx 80 sq m of raised veg beds.
daveluck_uk

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2019, 05:57:43 PM »

Hi

Once again thanks

The tank has the digital thermometer 

Can that be easily removed and then replaced with one of the ebay temperature controllers? That should then mean you can control the pump by temperature.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: