navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gone With The Wind 😠🤬🤯  (Read 518 times)
Pigsywigsy

« on: January 08, 2019, 10:28:53 AM »

Hello, happy new year to you all, hopefully it contains lots of tinkering and fettling of renewable gadgets 🙂

Thought I'd pop up and have a moan as it's been a while since I did, my turbine hasn't been operational for almost a year now and my insurance renewal quote arrived today for it, several hundred pounds up from last year's price again of course (approaching 900). Anyway, my thoughts on this are possibly best summed up by the response I sent to my insurers which I've pasted below.....

" sh*tfan:Thanks for sending this over. My wind turbine has been out of action for almost a year now. I spent a long time arguing with Bergey about the noise the blades make and eventually agreed to them retrofitting my blades with stainless steel strips on the leading edges. This was done in January 2018, the blades were off site for a week, when the modified blades were refitted the alternator was faulty (there were no issues with it previously), I'm unclear and will never be able to prove if the alternator fault is down to a genuine fault or incorrect practice by the Bergey approved installers who completed the works. My alternator is under warranty still luckily, but, Bergey want $3000 off me in advance for a replacement to use until they get round to shipping the faulty alternator back to North America, examining it and determining whether they consider it a warranty issue or otherwise. My previous experience with Bergey tells me not to trust them at all and as a result I've refused to pay the $3000, instead I've paid almost 300 to get my faulty alternator sent to Liverpool where it's been sat long term awaiting Bergey shipping a container of their kit back to North America.

Currently I'm close to 10000 out of pocket due to downtime and costs. I spoke to a colleague of yours a few months back who informed me my insurance wouldn't cover any of this.

I see that my insurance cost has increased substantially yet again even though the insurance cover isn't really of much use to me it seems.

Currently I've no idea why I'd pay anywhere near that quote for insurance especially as it's not really of any use to me.

Regards,
Drew"

Worcester Bosch Greenstore 11, 280l DHW + 150l UFH
16x Sharp NU245, Power One Aurora pvi3.6
Bergey Excel 10kw, PowersyncII, EMMA, 1250l Thermal Store
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 04:20:54 PM »

Wow Drew,
          This is bad. This is the kind of scenario that puts people off buying into RE. To the best of my knowledge, I think that Mike Bergey is still a Navitron member. It,s been a few years since he posted on here on Navitron but surely there must be some way that you can get your Turbine operational without incurring the cost of trans Atlantic shipping.
  I know that Hugh Piggott tests Bergey Turbines . There must be some better way of doing business without having to ship it back to the states.
  Maybe you are speaking to the wrong people. It might be an idea to ask Hugh is there is some UK agency that could handle it.
  Soundproofing Turbine blades is done by cording the leading edges of the blades.
   On a 10ft prop the blades has a little round 3mm plastic cord imprinted or stuck to the leading edge. It changes the sound frequencies way above what we can hear and unless the Stainless steel has such cordings the sound will still be there the whole time. Hugh Piggott would be able to advise, his knowledge and expertise is way beyond anything I know.
                 Good luck,
                           Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Pigsywigsy

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 09:04:35 PM »

Thanks Biff, good suggestion, looked up Hugh called him and spoke to him this evening, nice fella, very helpful, going to look into a couple of his suggestions. The cord is an interesting point, just stainless covers added to the lower blade edges here, retrofitted, so they're still the same shape, didn't get much chance to compare before and after noise as Scottish Power Engineers chapped my door after a workman nearby got a shock off some earthed metal pipework, turned out it was my Bergey causing it, it's been off since.

camillitech

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 10:45:04 PM »

didn't get much chance to compare before and after noise as Scottish Power Engineers chapped my door after a workman nearby got a shock off some earthed metal pipework, turned out it was my Bergey causing it, it's been off since.

That's a bit worrying Drew, hope you get it sorted, this wind carry on is never straight forward hey. As Biff says, it's nay wonder folk shy away from RE.

Good luck, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Pigsywigsy

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 02:07:42 PM »

Thanks Paul, think I've easily had enough good and bad renewables experiences to write a book or two 😀, suspect the Gone With The Wind title may have been used already though 🤔

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: