navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tesla Powerwall 2, one month in.....  (Read 9122 times)
dickster

« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2019, 10:35:44 AM »

Hi Fintray and P*ntsmachine,

Good stuff, the last week have exported 9.8kWh and imported 0.8 kWh.

2 things to mention. One is that my Powerwall won't supply at a rate more than 3.8 kW, so oven on and kettle on with good SOC, still pulls a bit from the grid, albeit for short periods.

Also, the PW2 seems to use the grid very briefly when switching from supplying to charging or "waking up" etc. Disconcerting at first when you see the app showing grid usage when it shouldn't.

Smiley

Fintray

« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2019, 05:13:17 PM »

That's just over a month since the PW2 was installed and apart from the initial problem with the PV diverter seeing the battery as exporting power (it can swing a couple of watts or so to export), sorted that by increasing the export minimum before the diverter starts diverting. In the last 31 days my consumption from the grid works out at 8.6kWh.
I can also confirm that the export limitation on the two SolarEdge inverters works just as it should as can be seen by the attached graph which shows the limitation kicking in.

* Capture.JPG (65.34 KB, 1090x536 - viewed 381 times.)

3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!)
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
linesrg

« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2019, 06:34:58 PM »

Ian,

I can only dream of such a low import figure... Sad

Regards

Richard

1.28kW on a Lorentz ETATRACK1000 + 1.44kW/ SB3000TL-21 (FIT), 1.28kW/ SB1700 (ROO/FIT). CTC GSi12 heat pump/Ecosol/Flowbox 8010e/Gledhill ASL0085 EHS/3off Navitron 4720AL Solar ET & Immersun T1060/T1070/T1090. 3.375kW/ SMA SB3600TL-21 and a Sunny Island 4.4M-12 c/w 15.2kWh battery and a Renault Zoe.
Fintray

« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2019, 06:58:45 PM »

Ian,

I can only dream of such a low import figure... Sad

Regards

Richard

Richard

I'm hoping it stays pretty low throughout the year as the savings in import are going part way to paying for it!
Just remembered that you have the GSHP to run as well so wouldn't expect you to get a really low import although your recent upgrades will certainly help bring it down a bit more.

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 07:39:37 PM by Fintray » Logged

3.87kWp PV
Tesla Powerwall 2
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
pantsmachine

« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2019, 09:56:49 AM »

Hi Fintray and P*ntsmachine,

Good stuff, the last week have exported 9.8kWh and imported 0.8 kWh.

2 things to mention. One is that my Powerwall won't supply at a rate more than 3.8 kW, so oven on and kettle on with good SOC, still pulls a bit from the grid, albeit for short periods.

Also, the PW2 seems to use the grid very briefly when switching from supplying to charging or "waking up" etc. Disconcerting at first when you see the app showing grid usage when it shouldn't.

Smiley

I have seen similar at ours re peak discharge and momentary insensible draw from grid. I guess it's all down to the algorithm  which is not tweak able by lowly mortal such as myself  in the case of our Goodwe charge controller and possibly your power wall? We still try to do all the high load stuff thru the day and stagger it if possible, no great hardship for the results! Smiley
 This last  7 days (in no way a black catting attempt) have seen a grid draw of 0.6kwh and I am now tempted to add one more battery just for the damn of it!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 10:08:19 AM by pantsmachine » Logged

HUGE insulation depth.
5.12 kw PV system with Solar edge.
4.8 kw Pylon tech battery storage.
All Low energy bulbs.
Solar I boost charging 210 ltr OSO system tank.
Balanced & zoned CH wet system & Hive 2
Wood fired thermosiphon cedar hot tub.
Masanobu Fukuoka inspired veg garden & fruit trees
Bikerzz

« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2019, 07:57:27 AM »

my overall plan was to almost fully charge and then fully discharge the PW2 on a regular basis to keep those batteries healthy.

Umm, are you sure that will work?

Also not correct thing to do with Li Ion cells really! Keep them at 20c and cycle 30%-80% in an ideal world, nothing in the world is perfect tho.

Sheldon

Triple Glazing.50mm CWI.
brackwell

« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2019, 08:58:04 AM »

I know most people on here will be aware but certainly as we become more leccy efficient it has less to do with peak loads and more to do with the background draw.  My house draws some c200W 24/7 ie 4.8 kwh/day ie 1752kw/yrs. Thats 50% of my consumption and the national average!!  Peak draw is not that important because of the low time use. However one way would be to purchase lower peak draw items eg 2kw kettle instead of 3kw.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 05:08:18 PM by brackwell » Logged
pantsmachine

« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2019, 11:07:23 AM »

Brackwell, totally agree with you on background draw. We have chased our draw down to 144wh and would like to go lower. It seems so wrong to go to the trouble and expense of a battery install in whichever variant and then to leak away X amount in  nothing  very much at all.

My next check on return to Scotland will be the solar iboost unit. It according to swmbo kicks ks in and out now and then for a second or two at miniscule loads when sun is down. Will take a reading across a night to see if its 'real'check clamp position first and go from there. May just stick an inline timer set as off from 19.00 o 07.00 to ensure its not being a vampire.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 10:21:06 AM by pantsmachine » Logged

HUGE insulation depth.
5.12 kw PV system with Solar edge.
4.8 kw Pylon tech battery storage.
All Low energy bulbs.
Solar I boost charging 210 ltr OSO system tank.
Balanced & zoned CH wet system & Hive 2
Wood fired thermosiphon cedar hot tub.
Masanobu Fukuoka inspired veg garden & fruit trees
Countrypaul

« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2019, 03:20:58 PM »

I know most people on here will be aware but certainly as we become more leccy efficient it has less to do with peak loads and more to do with the background draw.  My house draws some c200W 24/7 ie 4.8 kw/day ie 1752kw/day. Thats 50% of my consumption and the national average!!  Peak draw is not that important because of the low time use. However one way would be to purchase lower peak draw items eg 2kw kettle instead of 3kw.

Wow! 1752kw/day that must be some electricity bill you get Grin  I presume you mean 1752kWh /year (and also 4.8 kWh /day)
brackwell

« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2019, 05:09:39 PM »

Thanks -must have been still asleep.
linesrg

« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2019, 06:53:19 AM »

Good Morning All,

I've been looking at my background load as well.

I've abandoned my trial with Vonage and a VOIP set-up here so have now unplugged their unit c/w pug I charger and the two separate mains driven handsets.

Now the Growatt is away I've unplugged the Shinebox router.

I'm 99% on the way to stopping my BT broadband contract and their router has now been switched off for the last 3 days (just running on the mobile broadband set-up).

The heating is still running though and it's a chilly 2oC here as I type this.

Regards

Richard

1.28kW on a Lorentz ETATRACK1000 + 1.44kW/ SB3000TL-21 (FIT), 1.28kW/ SB1700 (ROO/FIT). CTC GSi12 heat pump/Ecosol/Flowbox 8010e/Gledhill ASL0085 EHS/3off Navitron 4720AL Solar ET & Immersun T1060/T1070/T1090. 3.375kW/ SMA SB3600TL-21 and a Sunny Island 4.4M-12 c/w 15.2kWh battery and a Renault Zoe.
dickster

« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2019, 11:36:47 AM »

Congrats Fintray, and thanks for all your inputs.

If we're going to get competitive Smiley, imported 14.6 kWh in the last 4 weeks, exported 3.1. However, there's the question of the birch tree. Since budding into leaf, it shades the array from sunrise and isn't totally unshaded until about noon, at the moment.

We need to reduce it by 50% to clear the panels, but left it in situ to see how we go. I reckon we'll be fine through summer, but autumn will be the deciding time.

All systems perfectly well behaved.

Drawing 200W with nothing much on.

Camping next weekend ...... Sad
Fintray

« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2019, 12:17:26 PM »

Hi Dickster

Not being competitive at all just to let people know how I get on, will be interesting once it has been in a year and especially over the winter period to see import.
14.6kWh would be about my normal import on most days sometimes less but often far more, so for 4 weeks it's great.

I also see the PW2 using small amounts of power, my import meter pulse reading usually sits at the same figure during the night until around 6am then it jumps up about 5 pulses. This is too early for the PV to be producing enough to charge so not sure if it is the PW2 readjusting as power starts to be produced.

I have to admit that I severely cut back the trees that were shading my panels, they're sycamores so they can recover and throw new shoots from the shortened trunk pretty well.

3.87kWp PV
Tesla Powerwall 2
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
dan_b

« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2019, 12:58:04 PM »

I bought a 1kW kettle for exactly this reason as it can be run almost exclusively in my home on either the SolarPV generation, or the Powervault export.  It is frustratingly slow to bring to the boil though!

I know most people on here will be aware but certainly as we become more leccy efficient it has less to do with peak loads and more to do with the background draw.  My house draws some c200W 24/7 ie 4.8 kwh/day ie 1752kw/yrs. Thats 50% of my consumption and the national average!!  Peak draw is not that important because of the low time use. However one way would be to purchase lower peak draw items eg 2kw kettle instead of 3kw.

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
Tinbum

« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2019, 02:17:07 PM »

I bought a 1kW kettle for exactly this reason as it can be run almost exclusively in my home on either the SolarPV generation, or the Powervault export.  It is frustratingly slow to bring to the boil though!

I have my 600w kettle on a wirless switch so can turn it on before I want the water. I also have heaters on them controlled by an arduino. Last time we imported from the grid was early Feb. Grin

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: