navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tesla Powerwall 2, one month in.....  (Read 10191 times)
kristen

« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2019, 03:10:31 PM »

Haven't looked at my consumption lately ... I probably should ... but when we started thinking about it, some 9 years ago, I recorded the meter every week, started replacing incandescent bulbs, put some over-night timers on things, SHOUTED at the family if they left a light on (still do ... ) and we reduced our consumption by 50%. I kinda stopped trying beyond that, as muscle-memory was making sure that lights were turned off. We've gone from those "dim for first 5 minute" florescent bulbs to LEDs throughout the house in that time ... and any white goods etc. that die are replaced with A(MaxStars)

... but ...

... I now take the view that if I generate my own supply (and have a Battery to store from day-night and windy-to-calm), do I need to continue to be Eco, or can I justify running the house like a Christmas tree?

I am now thinking that Comfort is far more important than Economy, so long as it is Eco.

So is that bad? Aim to generate/store all I need, and then consume any amount / what I need within that?

For example, I am going to fit Heatpump for the UFH (which runs off biomass boiler thermal store in Winter) to cool it in summer.

I only run my outdoor lighting (about 30 bulbs, none of them more than 3W) from 8PM (annual average) to 11PM, but obviously I'm not looking at it the whole time ... but every time I get up to go to the kitchen / bed etc. I have the job of seeing the garden nicely lit up. Maybe I'll increase that so that it stays on until I go to bed ...
dickster

« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2019, 02:30:03 PM »

.....7 months in, here's some statistics for 5 months taken from Tesla app on phone.

Jan 1st to end of May. All kWh.

From grid 305

To grid 55

From sun 740

To house 914

from Powerwall 531

to Powerwall 647= 82% efficiency?

C*cked up charging a couple or 3 times, lazy errors.

Overall, pretty damn well pleased, as the system is working more or less exactly as I had hoped it would.

We now are using more electricity than before, as electric oven used instead of LPG, as and when we've got spare sunshine. Washing machine on on sunny days. Have yet to decide on butchery of birch tree to south east of panels.

Hope you find this interesting.

Fintray

« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2019, 04:03:16 PM »

Hi Dickster

Glad to hear you are pleased with the way your system is performing, I'm only coming up for 3 months with the Powerwall but like you I'm happy with it so far, only imported 2kWh in each of the last two months.
Be interesting to see the figures once they've done a full year and especially during the winter months.

3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!)
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
nowty

« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2019, 08:29:54 PM »

.....7 months in, here's some statistics for 5 months taken from Tesla app on phone.

from Powerwall 531

That's interesting, just checked my Sunny Island setup installed since March this year with second hand growatt lithium batteries.

Charged 1,544.6 kWh
Discharged 1,248.6 kWh

So that's 81% efficiency, so practically the same.

As a comparison, my old Sunny Island with Lead Acid batteries was much lower at 67%.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 08:34:19 PM by nowty » Logged

11kW+ of PV installed and 56+ MWh generated.
Lithium battery storage of 50+ kWh.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh.
Heat storage of 15+ kWh.
6kW Ground source heatpump.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
260,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
Home grown Fruit and Veg.
dickster

« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2019, 10:16:54 AM »

That is interesting!

You mean to say my brand new shiny Tesla lithium ion batteries are not superior to your 2nd hand jobbies?!

Oh well, snobbery has it's price:)

Looking good for future home batteries made from old EVs .

pantsmachine

« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2019, 11:18:05 AM »

That is interesting!

You mean to say my brand new shiny Tesla lithium ion batteries are not superior to your 2nd hand jobbies?!

Oh well, snobbery has it's price:)

PMSL Smiley interested to read what the max load is available from each of these differing systems?

HUGE insulation depth.
5.12 kw PV system with Solar edge.
4.8 kw Pylon tech battery storage.
All Low energy bulbs.
Solar I boost charging 210 ltr OSO system tank.
Balanced & zoned CH wet system & Hive 2
Wood fired thermosiphon cedar hot tub.
Masanobu Fukuoka inspired veg garden & fruit trees
nowty

« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2019, 03:17:16 PM »

PMSL Smiley interested to read what the max load is available from each of these differing systems?

My Sunny Island is the 8kW version, but is limited to a constant 6kW load if the grid is available.

In either OffGrid mode, or if the grid fails (backup mode), it will go up to 8kW for 30 mins.

11kW+ of PV installed and 56+ MWh generated.
Lithium battery storage of 50+ kWh.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh.
Heat storage of 15+ kWh.
6kW Ground source heatpump.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
260,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
Home grown Fruit and Veg.
dickster

« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2019, 10:04:16 AM »

I think the Powerwall2 is 3.7 kW max, but not sure.

We're so accustomed to being stingy that we rarely exceed, kettle + oven does pull from grid though.
brackwell

« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2019, 10:36:30 AM »

Jan 1st to end of May. All kWh.

From grid 305

To grid 55

From sun 740

To house 914

from Powerwall 531

Are you running a PV diverter for HW or EV ?

Very interesting thanks

Ken
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 10:38:09 AM by brackwell » Logged
dan_b

« Reply #84 on: June 24, 2019, 10:38:22 AM »

That's why I bought a 1kW kettle so it doesn't pull from the grid even with my much lower power output capable PowerVault (1100W max discharge).

I think the Powerwall2 is 3.7 kW max, but not sure.

We're so accustomed to being stingy that we rarely exceed, kettle + oven does pull from grid though.

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
dickster

« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2019, 02:43:11 PM »

Hi Brackwell,

No hot water tank. We evolved from mobile home with borrowed sub metered electric 300m from nearest power, so built new house with LPG boiler for shower, hot water in kettles for washing up, ablutions. Stove in winter, electric in summer. Didn't want solar thermal on roof. Luckily wangled new electric mains 3 years ago, but still follow same habits. In actual fact, I reckon the electric kettle is one of the most efficient ways to heat and use hot water in limited amounts.
Tinbum

« Reply #86 on: June 24, 2019, 03:51:54 PM »

I reckon the electric kettle is one of the most efficient ways to heat and use hot water in limited amounts.

We have a 660w kettle on a wifi controlled socket so just turn it on a bit earlier or timed.

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
pantsmachine

« Reply #87 on: June 24, 2019, 03:53:04 PM »

All different eh?

On our Pylontech 2 battery stack we have a max 2.4kwh continuous discharge rate.

4 battery stack would raise to 4.8kwh continuous discharge rate.

I'll go up to four in a few years time if the first two start to show degradation. SWMBO is off to Alicante for a few days, I'll get my cheap n nasty 2kw kettle out for testing!

We use 1kwh from grid per day when its all working well, i'd like to lower that, kettle will be most of it i'm sure.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 03:54:48 PM by pantsmachine » Logged

HUGE insulation depth.
5.12 kw PV system with Solar edge.
4.8 kw Pylon tech battery storage.
All Low energy bulbs.
Solar I boost charging 210 ltr OSO system tank.
Balanced & zoned CH wet system & Hive 2
Wood fired thermosiphon cedar hot tub.
Masanobu Fukuoka inspired veg garden & fruit trees
dickster

« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2019, 10:30:11 AM »

Still going swimmingly, including a software update to make things better. I now have a  "Download my data" button. Cool! Press button and I then have a "Allow Tesla to access photos, media and files on your device?"

"Deny", "Allow".

At least they're upfront about it, rather than hidden in terms and conditions.

I think I'll maybe not bother......

dickster

« Reply #89 on: August 29, 2019, 04:03:36 PM »

And there's the catch!, much better software overall in the update, but you now cannot access the energy "To Powerwall" historical data, other than the current day , so they've taken that away to encourage you to share data from your mobile.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: