navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tesla Powerwall 2, one month in.....  (Read 5242 times)
dickster

« on: January 11, 2019, 11:40:08 AM »

Hi there, hope I'm not treading on Navitron's toes!.

I did what I could to research the PW2 before stumping up the dosh for one, but basically took the plunge a month ago along with a 2.3 kWp 7 panel array. Thought I'd post this as it might help others to decide whether or not to do same (other similar products are available!).

So install in shed seemed good, but couldn't get Tesla app to work properly. Tesla customer service is cr*p, no returned calls etc, but installer came out quick as they could, apologised and put one of the CT clamps on the right cable!. This grey area, with the installer not responsible for my downloaded app and Tesla not responsible for the install means that the buck could be passed back and forth ad infinitum.

The Tesla app was then able to work properly, if intermittently, but not too easy to use as a tool, rather than just using it as a monitoring device.

You can set it to use solar generated during day at night. (default setting)

So we started off at around 15% SOC, but dull weather meant we were quickly slipping downwards and my overall plan was to almost fully charge and then fully discharge the PW2 on a regular basis to keep those batteries healthy. Until summer comes along I knew we wouldn't be able to do so just by using solar, so I started poking around in the customise settings.

You can change it to charge from the grid in two modes, one in economic mode to maximise savings (using Economy 7 or the like), or one in a more greener mode. These allow you to set the times when you want the battery to charge from the grid.

What you can't do yet is set SOC switches, for example, only charge to 50%, discharge to 30% etc. However, you can do this by calculating how long it will take to charge to a set percentage, ie 3.5 kW charge rate X 2 hours = 7kWh = 50% increase in SOC. and set the timing appropriately. (All approx, hope nomenclature is correct!)

I've only just started doing this, but great to see it start and stop charging when told to. It does mean that you might have to twiddle about every day with settings, great fun at the moment, but probably a bit tiresome after a while.

In other countries PW2 can be used as backup in a powercut, not so in UK , as the Tesla Gateway (control box thingy on wall)  has not been accredited for this yet. Also rumoured to be in the pipeline is a weather forecast for your area software upgrade, no need to charge overnight if tomorrow is going to be a sunny day type of thing.

We've got satellite broadband and only switch it on when we need it (40W per hour), and I was told it would work without continuous connection. Importantly it does, but Tesla require some connection every now and then, and of course, Tesla now can control my battery any time they want to without referring to me (just like Windows 10!).

The app (I think) only works on not too old mobiles and tablets running android or Apple, you can't run it on a windows laptop etc. which is a bit of a shame.

The Gateway emits a wi-fi signal which I have managed to pick up on my old tablet (which won't run the full app) and so a passive display of energy flow can be displayed without having the internet on. V pleased about that.

At the moment I'm pretty happy with the PW2, but will update stuff if as and when it might be useful.

I hope this info is of interest.

M

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 11:59:59 AM »

Thanks. All info on battery experiences is appreciated. I'm watching and waiting ..... impatiently.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
dan_b

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 02:00:43 PM »

Where in the country are you? You might find that your 2.3kWp array will struggle to give you a full battery charge for most of the year given how large the Powerwall 2 is in kWh terms?
Do you have a solarEdge PV system as I understand they can integrate pretty closely with the Powerwall for the software?
Great to know about another battery owner though, keep the info coming.

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery
azps

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 06:31:45 PM »

my overall plan was to almost fully charge and then fully discharge the PW2 on a regular basis to keep those batteries healthy.

Umm, are you sure that will work?

dickster

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 10:33:41 AM »

Hi Dan B,

I'm in Hampshire and have a very useful local array that is on PV output. This has allowed me, along with PVGIS, to estimate annual and seasonal generation. Should have no trouble during summer months in living of the sun, winter will need a charge cycle approach. I do have Solaredge on there, as we have shading ( sun low through winter trees) and bird poo problems.

azps It's sort of working, charged on Friday night to last the weekend, but all sorts of anomolous readings on the Tesla app when electric oven was on last night. Can't be sure if it's the battery, the sensors or the app.
Plan to do the same, but take note of meter reading to see what is what.
russ_fae_fyvie

Getting there !

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 10:42:01 AM »

Thats great to get your experiences because I placed an order for a PW2 along with a 4kW PV Array for our new build !

Had been wooing and froing for ages and finally decided on the PW2 after visiting the Installers who seem pretty good (hopefully!) but its good to see someone on here who has one in operation so many thanks for your experiences so far.

Ours aren't due to be installed until the kit goes up in (hopefully) April/May so will be watching your further comments !!

www.stationbrae.uk

New SIPs house, the new adventure starts here !
dan_b

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 11:39:53 AM »

Russ - you do know that the FiT/Export tariff is being scrapped completely in April, so if your install goes in after then you'll not receive any of the payments for solar generation that you might have expected?  Might want to prioritise getting the array up and running well before then if you're budgeting on receiving those payments for what you generate?

4kW PowerVault Battery
russ_fae_fyvie

Getting there !

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 08:25:57 AM »

Hi Dan,
No hadn't budgetted on any FITs, we know from the last house at Long Rig, the FITs were pretty cr*p towards the end and that they were being scrapped in April, only using MCS stuff now because we are applying for the Interest Free Loans for the PV/Inverter and ASHP but as usual, after applying they are now dragging it out by asking daft questions !!

Sprinter

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 09:38:58 AM »

as for the application, it might not be PC compatible but that isnt a problem, just install a "BlueStacks" or other android emulator on your laptop and there you have it.

Old phones are no longer an issue
dickster

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 10:46:49 AM »

Hope it's Ok to update often whilst things are fresh in my mind.

So after the Tesla app went wild on Sunday evening with the oven on, (showing flow from grid to house, battery to house and even solar to grid, (in the dark!)), I had a good think. The internet connection was off during this time, when flow should just have been from battery to house, so last night (baked potatoes) I tested it again. Plenty in battery, internet on, meter read. It worked perfectly, with electric kettle on top showing max flow from battery and additional from grid. Then I switched internet connection off, it still showed correct flow on Gateway wi-fi.

There are quite a few complaints out there of anomolous behaviour. Next test would be oven on but internet off before starting to see if I can replicate Sunday's oddness.
russ_fae_fyvie

Getting there !

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 01:36:24 PM »

We've got satellite broadband and only switch it on when we need it (40W per hour)

I meant to say, we don't have a landline in the rented place we are in and we aren't installing a landline in the new house either.

With that in mind I checked satellite phones but cost was horrendous and the ping times were no good, so I bought a Mobile Wi-Fi Router that just runs off a Data Sim (EE for me) and its brilliant, can leave it on all the time and we have much better speeds than we had at Long Rig from BT's landline (up to 70mbps compared to 5 to 8 max on the BT line). Also use it for Netflix, Amazon streaming, etc and its great.

Just a thought if you are finding the Sat Phone has cost and speed restrictions.

dickster

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2019, 10:09:25 AM »

Next experiment, internet on, charge Powerwall 2 from mains for 2 hours beginning Friday 23.30 ending Sat 01.30 am. Should add approx 7 kWh. Didn't stop charging because there is a weekend setting that I had not done a setting for. I stopped it by changing the setting to default (no charging from mains), lesson learned.

Sunday lunchtime, internet off, set on default and has 60% SOC. With washing machine on and intermittent bright sunshine, watched the flow chart on Gateway wi-fi. Throughout the wash, all flows made sense, apart from occasional flows to and from grid of up to 10 secs a time, however these were shown as  0.1 (+/-) or much less often 0.2 kW. Too small to be measured by reading the meter, I'm guessing that these are anomolous flows shown when the Gateway does it's sums, which are rounded up or down (who knows?) to the nearest 100 Watts. Satisfactory, with 61% SOC after wash. All this done with no internet, v good.

I'm a bit of a Tesla watcher and with recent news of layoffs dividing the financial boys 50/50 bankcruptcy/sensible long term measure, I got to wondering, what happens if Tesla goes bust?. No way to control my battery, hadn't really thought about it before. Perhaps something to worry about or at least consider if you might fancy getting one.

One thing that is a bit mystifying, I can't seem to find any information on the workings of PW2. Normally someone somewhere has done a "tear down" to show the innards and explain a thing or two, I'd also like to know how and when it communicates with the Tesla servers, but can't seem to find anything much out there.
dan_b

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2019, 10:32:44 AM »

Everything you need to know about PowerWall 2

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/01/19/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-powerwall-2-2019-edition/

4kW PowerVault Battery
dickster

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 02:49:04 PM »

Thanks, Dan B,

It's good to get a look inside, lot's of the info doesn't pertain to the Uk yet, but still very useful.
andrewellis

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 08:31:20 PM »

Hi Dan,
No hadn't budgetted on any FITs, we know from the last house at Long Rig, the FITs were pretty cr*p towards the end and that they were being scrapped in April, only using MCS stuff now because we are applying for the Interest Free Loans for the PV/Inverter and ASHP but as usual, after applying they are now dragging it out by asking daft questions !!

They may not be great but would still add up to in the region of 4000 over the 20 years.  That's a good chunk of the panels cost.

6.48kw Solar PV JA (300W)Panels, SolarEdge inverter
Borehole -> Nibe F1255 12kw GSHP -> Radiators
Nissan Leaf
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: