navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tesla Powerwall 2, one month in.....  (Read 6369 times)
andrewellis

« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2019, 12:54:33 PM »

freeze
Not too bothered about warranty, it seems like a cracking bit of kit. More concerned that if Tesla goes down, so will their servers and I will not be able to control PW2 using phone app.

https://github.com/vloschiavo/powerwall2 There is an api reverse engineered already it would appear.  It probably wouldn't take fans long to put together a replacement.

6.48kw Solar PV JA (300W)Panels, SolarEdge inverter
Borehole -> Nibe F1255 12kw GSHP -> Radiators
Nissan Leaf
Fintray

« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2019, 01:17:33 PM »

Also don't understand the following. 7 Sunpower panels rated 333 Whp each, = 2.331 kWhp for system. I presumed this would be attained on the sunniest day in mid summer, but I have already got to 2.3 kWhp on a couple of occasions. Don't understand. Huh

Hi Dickster

You will get less than the rated output in summer because as the panels heat up in the summer sun their output drops. You are more likely, as you have seen, that the panels will output at or slightly above their rating on days where it is cold but bright sunshine especially if there are some clouds as the panels cool when in shade but when suddenly exposed to the full sun their output will jump.

3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!)
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Scruff

« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2019, 01:32:24 AM »

The cells are rated at 20C. If you put them in a glass panel pointing at the sun they are usually 50C above atmospheric temperature. Hence their rated output is rarely ever met.

Oh but but I've seen 110% output...that's because windchill + >1000W/m input...
dickster

« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2019, 09:45:02 AM »

Thanks for the explanations, can't quite believe that the makers of panels don't optimise their testing results to the absolute max, but I guess there's some sort of standard they all have to follow.

Powerwall 2 misbehaving as I switch to "charge overnight from grid" settings (then internet switched off, router in spare bedroom, visitors not happy with blue flashing lights all night!), but now settled down again.
Countrypaul

« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2019, 11:15:54 AM »

Thanks for the explanations, can't quite believe that the makers of panels don't optimise their testing results to the absolute max, but I guess there's some sort of standard they all have to follow.

Powerwall 2 misbehaving as I switch to "charge overnight from grid" settings (then internet switched off, router in spare bedroom, visitors not happy with blue flashing lights all night!), but now settled down again.

Have you looked at your router settings? Some routers allow you to turn the LEDs off so as to prevent problems with stray light.
dickster

« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2019, 11:56:38 AM »

Never occurred to me, I'll have a look later on. Thanks!
dickster

« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2019, 09:44:19 AM »

So, with this dull weather, I'm regularly charging the Powerwall 2 on E7 overnight, judging how much I need to avoid peak time mains usage the next day, but leaving spare capacity should the sun come out.

Interestingly, and regardless of SOC, if I set it for say, a 2 hour charge, it charges fully for the first hour and then tapers the charge in 3 steps down to 0 over the next hour.

Last night I set it for 3 hours and it charged fully for the first 2, then tapered the charge to 0 over the last hour.

This seems to be a new happening, perhaps Tesla have updated the software?
sam_cat

« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2019, 12:42:07 PM »

Have you looked at your router settings? Some routers allow you to turn the LEDs off so as to prevent problems with stray light.

Or some black insulation tape..
rogeriko

« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2019, 08:05:21 PM »

The cells are rated at 20C. If you put them in a glass panel pointing at the sun they are usually 50C above atmospheric temperature. Hence their rated output is rarely ever met.

Oh but but I've seen 110% output...that's because windchill + >1000W/m input...

Solar Panels all have a NOCT output published in their documentation. That is Normal Operating Conditions and Temperature. It is considerably less than the theoretical output.

dickster

« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2019, 10:04:03 AM »

Black tape, never occurred to me, wood for the trees etc, ta!

We're generating around 11kWh per fully sunshiny day and haven't used the grid at all for 5 days and have exported 3kWh. So far so good, easy to forget everything is running on sunshine thanks to all those clever people who developed this technology.

Electric car is the next step, but we have to cross our ford twice a day, anybody heard of a waterproof EV?  Smiley

kristen

« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2019, 10:54:48 AM »

anybody heard of a waterproof EV?

Not recommended, but you can get traction from spinning wheels once it starts floating ...

www.youtube.com/watch ?v=cBYFo6fXPvU

Smiley

Assuming all waterproofed, as it is supposed to be ... then with EV you haven't got the worry of water flowing back up the exhaust into an ICE engine etc.

EDIT: This might be a better link, as links to YouTube appear to be blocked?
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/tesla-elon-musk-model-s-drives-in-water
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 10:59:00 AM by kristen » Logged
stucou

« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2019, 11:49:38 AM »

"anybody heard of a waterproof EV"

Rivian pickup EV spec 1m wading depth recent vid on Fully Charged
Fintray

« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2019, 12:56:58 PM »

Hi Dickster

It's just less than 1 week since my PW2 was installed and the results so far have been really good. From midnight on Sunday till 13:00hrs today we have only imported 3 kWh from the grid.
It has caused a bit of confusion to my PV diverter as it saw the battery and "diverted" power from it during the night, a small change to the programming of the diverter has solved that problem.

Looking forward to far lower electricity bills from now on!

3.87kWp PV
Tesla Powerwall 2
Morso 5kW WBS
pantsmachine

« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2019, 01:52:31 PM »

Nice to see you are liking it. I was pleasantly surprised when my batteries discharged in daylight hours for the first time to support house demand when in excess of solar supply uat that point in time. Hitherto I had been thinking in darkness supply terms.
4.7 kw purchased in last week with yesterday at 0.12kW being the winner of the week!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 06:45:27 PM by pantsmachine » Logged

HUGE insulation depth.
5.12 kw PV system with Solar edge.
4.8 kw Pylon tech battery storage.
All Low energy bulbs.
Solar I boost charging 210 ltr OSO system tank.
Balanced & zoned CH wet system & Hive 2
Wood fired thermosiphon cedar hot tub.
Masanobu Fukuoka inspired veg garden & fruit trees
Fintray

« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2019, 06:05:13 PM »

Been watching it on the app and have seen the battery seamlessly supply power when the PV drops due to passing clouds.

3.87kWp PV
Tesla Powerwall 2
Morso 5kW WBS
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: