navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shed Lighting/heating & Battery trickle chargers  (Read 117 times)
mr smith

« on: January 11, 2019, 02:13:39 PM »

Hi Peeps,

I am looking into a few different separate set ups for solar in outbuildings. See below.

1. Trickle charger motorbike x 2

2 Trickle charger tractor.

3 Shed lighting (2/3 hours a day) and phone charging if possible. (Maybe with a Leisure battery with Inverter)

3.5 Is it possible to also run a 40w tubular heater from a panel to keep the place from freezing? It is very very well insulated.

There are so many products I would like to hear from those of you with tested set ups.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 02:36:12 PM by mr smith » Logged
Charli

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 02:40:54 PM »

We have shed-shipping-container lighting (gets less use than 2-3 hours a day though- it's on an allotment site).

Our system is a bodged one, a 100w solar panel, a leisure battery, and a really cheap charge controller. The lights are just pendant fittings with led bulbs in. It cost us about 150 to set up, has been running for 3 years now. The only maintenance has been to clean the solar panel (which is flat on top of the container- and the site is a north facing hill).

Works fine for our purposes- the lights are not very bright but we only need to be able to see enough to get tools and materials in and out of the container- we don't actually need to do any work in there. The battery also runs a raspberry pi all year around for our CCTV system (pi and an IR light). In the summer we do sometimes charge phones and laptops and things in there- but we've never tried in winter (as no one wants to be at an allotment in the dark then!).

I can give you some stats and stuff if they'd be useful- but I suspect you'd want better lighting than us!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: