navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windy boy setup tool SMA problem  (Read 458 times)
Tinbum

« on: January 11, 2019, 11:11:52 PM »

I'm having a problem accessing my inverter with this program. First thing today I could connect. I then used Sunny data control and the only thing I changed was from mppt mode to turbine mode. When I went back to the windy boy setup program I get a connection error even though initially it detects the inverter. I can still connect OK with Sunny data control though.

Any ideas??  Huh

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
camillitech

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 08:43:03 AM »

Hi Tinbum,
Sorry to hear your woes ‘been there, got the book, video and T shirt, comparbed to the ABB installer software the SMA is pants and seems to be particularly ‘user unfriendly’. I can’t really do anything other than sympathise I guess, I have been using it for years and still struggle.

Couple of things though, what are you using as an interface? I have had problems when using serial to USB converters when doing this. Also worth speaking to SMA with your inverter serial number as some of them do not work with the ‘Wind Boy Setup’ tool !!! I kid you not, methinks there is a sticker on one of the chips that tells you the software version. When I had a problem with the WST I used SDC (I think) and copied the parameters from another WB that Had a suitable curve in it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Tinbum

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 11:18:10 AM »

Thanks, Yes using a usb serial interface which I know can be a problem sometimes. I have a number of different types and some work with some things and some don't Huh.  (I have a Belkin one and that one won't work correctly with sunny data control and I thought they were supposed to be quality)!

I've just transferred the SMA serial pcb to a later Windy Boy 1100LV and that all works correctly. So it may be the older windy boy SWA 1100LV doesn't have new enough firmware.

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
Tinbum

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 12:34:52 PM »

Got a curve into the new one but one interesting thing to note is the way the software transmits the data to the inverter. I kept getting a message that Udcwind start was > than Udcwind stop when it clearly wasn't in the settings I was trying to send. It took me a while to realize that it was the inverter comparing the data as sent with the data already in it. So as the previous setting inside the inverter of Udcwindstop was 24.5v it wouldn't allow the software to send 15v. Roll Eyes

Why it can't send Udcwindstart after Udcwindstop I don't know. (Sunny islands are similar when sending them soc settings for grid connection).

camillitech

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 12:46:55 PM »

Got a curve into the new one but one interesting thing to note is the way the software transmits the data to the inverter. I kept getting a message that Udcwind start was > than Udcwind stop when it clearly wasn't in the settings I was trying to send. It took me a while to realize that it was the inverter comparing the data as sent with the data already in it. So as the previous setting inside the inverter of Udcwindstop was 24.5v it wouldn't allow the software to send 15v. Roll Eyes

Why it can't send Udcwindstart after Udcwindstop I don't know. (Sunny islands are similar when sending them soc settings for grid connection).

I really think that SMA have designed this software and interface to be as arkward as possible. Granted, I am not the ‘sharpest tool in the box’ when it comes to this kind of thing but the ABB user interface is just so simple even I can use it. As for USB to serial converters, the worst thing is (especially if you are a novice like me) that some of them ‘almost work’ leaving you thinking you are the problem. If it is any help I do have the genuine SMA interface you could borrow.

Good luck, P

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Tinbum

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 01:26:19 PM »

Thanks for the offer- I think I'm nearly there!

I'm normally pretty good with this sort of stuff and i think that the first inverter is probably too old as you suggested. I will try SMA to confirm and also see if there is any updated firmware that will work with it. I can see any in their achive section.

I've put in a curve to the new inverter and will give it a try. Its just a really old AIR 403 that I bought many many years ago that I thought could do with an airing instead of sitting on a dust shelf. In the winter we could do with any power we can get though I not expecting much from it.

camillitech

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 02:07:35 PM »

Thanks for the offer- I think I'm nearly there!

I'm normally pretty good with this sort of stuff and i think that the first inverter is probably too old as you suggested. I will try SMA to confirm and also see if there is any updated firmware that will work with it. I can see any in their achive section.

I've put in a curve to the new inverter and will give it a try. Its just a really old AIR 403 that I bought many many years ago that I thought could do with an airing instead of sitting on a dust shelf. In the winter we could do with any power we can get though I not expecting much from it.

Aye TB,

too old doesn’t even seem to be that old by all accounts. The OLD WB inverter I had problems with was 2009 which, ok, now is ten years old but it was a couple of years ago and they had stopped making dedicated wind inverters several years before that. Seem to remember them saying they could fit a new chip in it fo £85. SMA are a right PITA at times but in all fairness they have been outstandingly helpful with support, warranty issues and repairs.

Good luck, P

Tinbum

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 02:59:15 PM »

My new one is 2012, which I got just as they stopped making them. The old one is 2002 so I may struggle to get any update. Like you i have also found SMA to be very helpful in the main.

Out now to put the turbine up as a trial.

camillitech

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 04:19:25 PM »

Looks like you’ll get a good blast from the west to try it TB anywhere from W to NNW gives us amazingly clean dense air straight off the sea. Probably not so good for you on the eastern side right enough but here’s  fingers crossed!

Cheers, P

Mostie

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 04:29:05 PM »

Maybe you need to turn off minesweeper  whistlie  ralph

more importantly  Smiley    ....my own SB1700 would only talk to a FTDI usb to serial.

2x Solis PV = 1.875 kW, Mitsubishi inverter heat pump. Yorkshire Boiler Stove.
camillitech

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 11:27:04 PM »

Maybe you need to turn off minesweeper  whistlie  ralph

more importantly  Smiley    ....my own SB1700 would only talk to a FTDI usb to serial.

FTDI  genuflect   genuflect  genuflect trouble is actually finding something with a genuine FTDI chip in it these days. Even the companies that buy what they think are genuine FTDI chips are getting ripped off by cheap Chinese clones that do not work or worse still, almost work  banghead  banghead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU66as4Bbds

« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 11:33:03 PM by camillitech » Logged

Tinbum

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 10:23:57 AM »

Well after quite a lot of tinkering with the curve last night I got it producing electricity. 0.4kWh in about 11hrs and the wind speed has been about 18-20mph, so not much. It's mounted quite low down as its only a trial.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: