navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Auto stop/start Generator  (Read 510 times)
Hastings

« on: January 13, 2019, 12:48:04 PM »

Could anyone advise please if this might be automatically turned on and off by a suitable controller?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Haverhill-Diesel-Generator-Electric-Start-Lister-Engine-240-110v/283333802599

I have started renovating a derelict house 2 miles from the grid and need a site genny now that could then form the heart of a complete power system once batteries, PV and a small wind turbine are (in that order) added.
marshman

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 01:20:04 PM »

Could anyone advise please if this might be automatically turned on and off by a suitable controller?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Haverhill-Diesel-Generator-Electric-Start-Lister-Engine-240-110v/283333802599

I have started renovating a derelict house 2 miles from the grid and need a site genny now that could then form the heart of a complete power system once batteries, PV and a small wind turbine are (in that order) added.

You can probably do an auto start, but not an auto stop or re-start. In my experience this type of generator with a diesel engine has a decompression lever which has to be set for starting and sometimes a second lever that needs to be moved from idle to run once started. To stop them the lever must be moved to stop. I think you can see the lever on the top in the pictures. You would need to get a copy of the operating manual to see what the start and stop procedure is for the engine.

This type of open frame generator are also very, very noisy. I have 2 of them, one an older Honda powered one and the other is a newer "chinese" yanmar powered 4kVa one. You don't want to be any where near them when they are running. Mine are only used for power cuts - annoyingly common in this area.

Others will be along to recommend what you should get.

Roger

3.15kWpk (15xSharp ND210)/SB3000. & 3.675kWpk (15 x Suntech 245WD)/SB4000TL, 10kW GSHP driving Wirsbo underfloor heating from 1200m ground loops. 10' x 7' solar wall (experimental). Clearview 650 Wood Burning Stove. MHRV - diy retrofit. Triple glazing.
eabadger

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 03:47:05 PM »

that engine is a petter ac or ad1.
it will start without issue with no decompresion, but very few had electric stop, most you need to move pump leaver from run to start, you can retro fit a solenoid to do this or put a valve in fuel line.
we ran on one of these for years, but if gen head same as ours had brushed excitation the brushes wear out, i used to keep some in stock to be safe.
they are very very noisey!!

steve

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
Hastings

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 09:51:07 PM »

Thanks to both for the info.
I was guessing it might be the Lister-Petter AC1. I have requested a better  photo of the engine plate.
I have been reading a lot on this forum about generators and felt like Mr Lister might be a good route to go. I still need to learn a lot about all the different models they made and the differences. I had assumed that the 1500rpm runners were not as noisy as the modern 3000rpms.
Is the AC1 a very different engine to eg. the popular Lister ST1, ST2? Are the latter as noisy as you say the above diesel frame sets?
eabadger

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 09:56:44 PM »

at the quoted kw that is a 3000rpm unit
yes noisy

but good.

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: