navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: burnished steel for garden  (Read 1906 times)
billi
Global Moderator

« on: January 13, 2019, 11:27:51 PM »

Hi again ,

I use  quite a lot  of mild flat steel 5mm  for walls , edging etc  and sure it rusts after a while  , but  cince 20 years i use that in Ireland  and still no sign of  falling apart  whistlie 

attached two examples of  my works   the rectangular  black  steel  one is just after installation  so still no rust , thats 10 years back  and now rusty (as wanted )  , 

Question is , cause my new client does like the color  of black/ish    , any idea how to conserve that ?

There is some method called blue steel or burnished steel  to keep it dark  , any one an idea ?

Thanks Billi

* 90k6ofp6.jpg (272.09 KB, 1100x757 - viewed 173 times.)

* xghnlyma.jpg (298.65 KB, 1100x733 - viewed 173 times.)

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 07:14:43 AM »

Boiled linseed oil? (Used to be used as a rust-preventative coating before modern chemicals were developed. Natural and possibly non-toxic)

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
Countrypaul

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 09:00:59 AM »

The black steel is normaly caused by black iron oxide created when for example steel is treated with strong nitric acid (obviously many other ways), it is Fe3O4. Rust is a simpler iron oxide Fe2O3. My understanding is that the crystal structure of Fe3O4 is similar to that of steel in terms of volume and therefore creates a layer on the surface of the steel that water cannot easily penetrate. Red rust Fe2O3 has a  larger crystal structure than steel and so allow water to penetrate which is why it forms flakes and can often be chipped off etc.

The problem with Fe3O4 is that it can be further oxidised to normal rust over time and once it start then that allows the rust to spread as the crystal structure is broken.

The best protection is oil of one form or another but it has to be reapplied regularly. If the steel does go red due to rust then it is possible to convert it bac to black using any one of a number of products as often supplied for tackling rust on cars etc. Oil will still be needed to retain the black and prevent rust from forming.
eabadger

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 09:15:08 AM »

on cast i have used heat on item then dipped in old engine oil, quenches metal and makes black all in one, still looks ok.

steve

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 09:39:31 AM »

true  ,   thats a way too , i use a lot of linseed oil for   wood ,  and am aware of the  metal protection

Not sure  if thats a  longtherm  way  of keeping the steel  dark  ....

Burning it in  is used to treat iron pans

Oh thanks Paul  ,   good  explanation

Must think about it , ... maybe better to convince the client to just let it rust and age without care , or  another material ...

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
al barge

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 10:24:51 AM »

Maybe a coat of Vactan would give the look you're after, it's a vinyl acrylic copolymer which lasts well on it's own for a while but it will also need a coat or two of something like 2-pack PU clear over the top to protect it for the long term outside. Vactan will turn any red rust and the original steel into a deep black brown. I think Fertan is another similar product.

We used it to neutralise our steel barge, the last pic you can see the milky blue colour change as it dries to black:

38m Belgian Spits Barge, Victron Multi 24/3000/70-16, 420Ah (c5) Used Forklift Batts, Smartgauge, DIY wood Stove, DIY diesel drip stove heat exchanger circuit, Spare roof space..
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 10:58:03 AM »

Thanks again

OK , just was talking to a metal workshop  ,  they can "blackening"    steel (full sheets too ) for me under high temperatures with the use of oil and  other things

He reckons   every 3-5 years one  should ad   a "maintenance layer" of some special stuff  onpatrol  , does not sound too bad

Than rang an architect friend , he meant i should forget about it outside

i think  am better of not experiment    whistlie

Billi

al barge

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 11:10:26 AM »

If you do want to experiment, maybe boiled linseed with a siccateef hardener (sp?) might be the way to go?

I did meet a guy who used his old sunflower cooking oil as protection on his steel decks once.. He was very specific where you could walk, as it took two weeks for it to dry! But he was called roger and he'd put two 30m masts on his ex Ukrainian Navy tug, which was called 'Jolly'  ralph

38m Belgian Spits Barge, Victron Multi 24/3000/70-16, 420Ah (c5) Used Forklift Batts, Smartgauge, DIY wood Stove, DIY diesel drip stove heat exchanger circuit, Spare roof space..
Iain

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 01:45:32 PM »

Hi
Seen "Cor-ten" steel or "Weathering steel" used in a few building programs.

https://www.steelconstruction.info/Weathering_steel

Iain
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 01:47:25 PM by Iain » Logged

1.98kWp PV (11 x Sharp 180 and SB 2.5)
20 x 65mm Thermal and 180ltr unvented
Powervault 4Kw - G200 Lithium-Ion (LiFePO4)
9000ltr rainwater storage   Plymouth
camillitech

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 03:54:29 PM »

Hi
Seen "Cor-ten" steel or "Weathering steel" used in a few building programs.

https://www.steelconstruction.info/Weathering_steel

Iain

Corten steel is also used for shipping containers and some boat hulls, it is hard to weld and still goes rusty, perhaps not to the same flakiness and without loss of strength but still red rust. How about corrugated iron or galvanised steel sheeting? The ‘blue steel’ look of oil quenched sheet is lovely, as is the look of the propriotory ‘rust converters’ that are mentioned but they will all need regular re oiling or painting to keep the ‘look’. If your customer is not happy with the rust (I think it looks great) then I would use old stainless steel sinks instead  Wink Seriously, you would be amazed at what you can do with the stuff.

P

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
pantsmachine

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 05:32:42 PM »

Blue steel primer mate. Paint straight on and will give a blue black finish for years.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 05:36:04 PM by pantsmachine » Logged

HUGE insulation depth.
5.12 kw PV system with Solar edge.
4.8 kw Pylon tech battery storage.
All Low energy bulbs.
Solar I boost charging 210 ltr OSO system tank.
Balanced & zoned CH wet system & Hive 2
Wood fired thermosiphon cedar hot tub.
Masanobu Fukuoka inspired veg garden & fruit trees
camillitech

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 06:07:49 PM »

Blue steel primer mate. Paint straight on and will give a blue black finish for years.

Not in my experience and I have used gallons of it over the years. Yes, it looks lovely at first but if you do not paint over it the steel will corrode underneath it and it will flake off. In fact, if you paint it onto unetched new steel it will peel off faster than a Lada can rust. Blue Steel is fantastic stuff and being water based the metal doesn’t even need to be perfectly dry for it to adhere. Have not used any since 2013 right enough cos my current ship is mainly aluminium but I seem to remember it saying on the label something about providing ‘only limited protection’ if not overcoated.

P

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
pantsmachine

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 07:54:52 PM »

That's strange, used it for 25+ years with great results. I have tried different manufacturers and know what you mean about peeling but I think that could be down to batch as it's not been very often across the time. I wonder if there is a best manufacturer?

HUGE insulation depth.
All Low energy bulbs.
camillitech

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2019, 08:28:06 PM »

That's strange, used it for 25+ years with great results. I have tried different manufacturers and know what you mean about peeling but I think that could be down to batch as it's not been very often across the time. I wonder if there is a best manufacturer?

I've always been a huge fan of it, the stuff I used came in 5lt white containers with a picture of an oil rig on it but for the life in me I can't remember the manufacturers name. I used to use it a lot and found a high pressure blast to take the flakes and loose stuff off then a coat of Blue Steel straight after (even with water still on) followed by primer then undercoat then gloss lasted for years even in a harsh salty environment. The old 'sea dog' who taught me once painted the individual bars on a ship embarkation gate with three or four different primers and undercoats. The one with the Blue Steel on first lasted much better than the others and the instructions did intimate you could use it on its own in 'non aggressive' environments (which I did) but it never lasted so well. If I were doing it for myself I'd probably 'give it a whirl' cos it does look nice but I'd no be putting it on a paying customers job and have him banging on me door ten months later. Methinks if said customer don't like the rust 'au natural' look he's probably got OCD  hysteria

P

pantsmachine

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 09:55:46 PM »

We used to be supplied by spencer coatings? There is another process I remember for downhole tools called parkerising, that turned the steel black and added a protective coating but that's getting into the realms of dipping the gear in nasty chemicals. Personally i'd let it oxidise or add some copper for verdigris contrast.

Op search parkerising solution. Cheers.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 10:00:03 PM by pantsmachine » Logged

HUGE insulation depth.
All Low energy bulbs.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: