navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: burnished steel for garden  (Read 1043 times)
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2019, 11:14:22 AM »

Thanks

I am aware of Corten steel , but  i do not want the rusty look in this case ,  and then just plain flat mild steel would do  for a fraction of the price .
Thats what i use for  years

Client says they take it on their risk  , so will go for blackening  the steel elements , (find out a price first )  will be about 25 m2
 garden

Will see

whistlie

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Countrypaul

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2019, 11:45:48 AM »

Have you considered using wrought iron rather than mild steel. Not easy to get hold of but it much more resistant to corrosion. I know there was a water wheel in weardale (near Kilhope) made of wrought iron which was left untouched and open to the elements for many years (it wasn't even touched during the second world war) yet seemed to have hardly corroded at all and was always black in colour (though it maybe 40 years or so since I had a close look) and it still there.

Most "wrought iron" sold today is just mild steel as it is sold on the basis of what it might be used for rather than how it was made.
camillitech

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2019, 01:04:51 PM »

Have you considered using wrought iron rather than mild steel. Not easy to get hold of but it much more resistant to corrosion. I know there was a water wheel in weardale (near Kilhope) made of wrought iron which was left untouched and open to the elements for many years (it wasn't even touched during the second world war) yet seemed to have hardly corroded at all and was always black in colour (though it maybe 40 years or so since I had a close look) and it still there.

Most "wrought iron" sold today is just mild steel as it is sold on the basis of what it might be used for rather than how it was made.

I was not aware you could get wrought iron sheet but apparently you can https://www.realwroughtiron.com/wrought-iron-products-and-services/standard-sections/ probably costs an arm and a leg right enough but I bet it woul look lovely just blackened or even oiled with linseed oil.

P

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2019, 01:17:06 PM »

..... see ,  i use that  mild steel usually for an cost efficient idea  , and i can curve, weld  and bend it easy  

Wrought iron , i  use too if it suits

edit : a m2 mild steel 5 mm thick costs about 60 Euro    ........ can someone   translate from Paul linked  pricelist for me ?    whistlie
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 01:19:43 PM by billi » Logged

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
camillitech

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2019, 03:09:42 PM »

..... see ,  i use that  mild steel usually for an cost efficient idea  , and i can curve, weld  and bend it easy  

Wrought iron , i  use too if it suits

edit : a m2 mild steel 5 mm thick costs about 60 Euro    ........ can someone   translate from Paul linked  pricelist for me ?    whistlie

Aye Billi, it is a bit long winded and very Imperial, so each price is for one linear foot ( 305mm) and the sizes are say, 1 1/4 5/16 means one and a quarter inches by five sixteenths of an inch or 32 x 8mm in the real world.

Perhaps when we leave the EU we can really ‘take back control’ and go back to these lovely Imperial units  hysteria

Cheers, P
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 03:13:57 PM by camillitech » Logged

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
eabadger

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2019, 04:52:52 PM »

all plumbing here in france in imperial.......
they call it system american.
most fittings still have imperial marks on them, packets show mm translation.
pipes are true 1/2 3/4 and 1"

steve

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
camillitech

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2019, 04:58:15 PM »

all plumbing here in france in imperial.......
they call it system american.
most fittings still have imperial marks on them, packets show mm translation.
pipes are true 1/2 3/4 and 1"

steve

I honestly thought the French had more sense  hysteria

eabadger

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2019, 06:13:59 PM »

from what i understand, when eu or ecc ruled all should be metric, uk changed the sizes, french decided that repackaging in mm dims would comply.
they call an inch a thumb.
even when i point out what bsp means they say system american.......

i used speedfit pipe and had to convert by bronze imperial fittings!

steve

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
camillitech

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2019, 07:41:01 PM »

even when i point out what bsp means they say system american.......

Now I really thought the French had more sense than that BSP (British Standard Pipe) is 'what it says on the tin' and NPT (National Pipe Thread) is the American standard fer fecks sake it was Napoleon that invented it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_metric_system well at least the French. Mind you it was that despot that started all his conquered countries driving on the wrong side of the road too  facepalm  facepalm

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: