navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Erratic TRVs  (Read 866 times)
daveluck_uk

« on: January 18, 2019, 07:58:30 PM »

Hi,

Looks like I have a couple of TRVs that need replacing. They have become very erratic with regards to opening and closing.

All of my rads are bottom fed as is the return. I've seen some installs where either the return or flow utilises one of the top tappings.

What's the current thinking as to which tappings should be used? And what are the advantages of using opposite corners rather than the 2 lower tappings?

Cheers

Dave

Iain

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 09:36:41 PM »

Hi
I now do all mine, top trv, bottom opposite as return. Easier to adjust as you get older!
Seriously I find it a lot easier especially if there is something in front of the rediator, i.e. Sofa.

Iain

1.98kWp PV (11 x Sharp 180 and SB 2.5)
20 x 65mm Thermal and 180ltr unvented
Powervault 4Kw - G200 Lithium-Ion (LiFePO4)
9000ltr rainwater storage   Plymouth
Antman
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 07:39:09 AM »

Hi Dave
Some older systems only had a single loop heating pipe with the rads sitting 'on the loop'. These required a top entry flow valve to help promote gravity circulation in the rad otherwise the rad could be slow to heat up.
These systems also had the disadvantage of the rads furthest along got colder water than the first ones as some of the flow had already been through other rads.

On fully pumped systems either method works.

Honeywell TRVs every time for me nowadays. They are the only make I have never had stick - and my own install has had other makes changed twice in 25 years with the exception of two original Honeywells that are still going without ever causing an issue.
Regards
Antman

20 x 47mm, 172 l cylinder, Heat Dump, 15 x Sanyo HIT-H250E, SB4000TL,  Nestor Martin IQ13 WBS
DIY Solar System Support at http://www.handyantman.co.uk/antman.html
All support is voluntary and free of charge. I'm not employed by Navitron so responses may not be same-day
daveluck_uk

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 12:09:22 PM »

Thankyou for the replies. That answers my question and gives me some options.

andrewellis

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 12:46:13 PM »

I downloaded the brochures from a number of manufacturers when I was doing my radiator sizing for our new GSHP last year.  A few of then had the power output for the different configurations.  A top entry and diagonal opposite bottom corner gave in the order of 10% more power for the same flow/temp input as bottom entry/exit.  I haven't access to the exact figures.  In the end I have bottom entry/exit on the replacements as it was easier.  Later I will be redoing a couple of rooms including taking the walls down.  I will then see if I can get top to bottom past my wife from an aesthetic view point.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 05:25:27 PM by andrewellis » Logged

6.48kw Solar PV JA (300W)Panels, SolarEdge inverter
Borehole -> Nibe F1255 12kw GSHP -> Radiators
Nissan Leaf
daveluck_uk

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 03:34:26 PM »

Blimey! 10% is a lot. So did all the manufactures that gave the outputs show an increase?

Where my system is quite marginal even a 5% increase heat output is probably makes it worthwhile my moving the tapping point when I replace the faulty TRVs.
andrewellis

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 03:41:45 PM »

This purmo technical document page 101 shows the details of different connection options.  ie connecting as per uk standard means the radiator is 10% less than rated output.

6.48kw Solar PV JA (300W)Panels, SolarEdge inverter
Borehole -> Nibe F1255 12kw GSHP -> Radiators
Nissan Leaf
Philip R

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 05:22:02 PM »

I have all my radiators connected top in bottom opposite out.

The british way is partly out of vanity considerations but reduces radiator output as Andrew has just previously stated.
Bottom in opposite bottom out also restricts achieveable temperature differential without severely curtailing radiator outpit capability.

Top in bottom out allows a much easier to achieve temperature differential and lower return temperature to condensing boiler for better condensing action. i.e an achieveable 5% thermal efficiency gain on the boiler.

Similar gain or better achievable with heat pump as heat source too.

Philip R 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: