navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battery monitor says 100% charged, SG says not  (Read 1976 times)
eabadger

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2019, 08:31:50 AM »

i should have also said that.

4 x morningstar controllers here.
vrm and bmv seem good.
but as i said even the multiplus inverters are odd for setting to eq.

steve

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
camillitech

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2019, 08:46:52 AM »

i should have also said that.

4 x morningstar controllers here.
vrm and bmv seem good.
but as i said even the multiplus inverters are odd for setting to eq.

steve

Four here too Steve and I wonder if Victron use the same algorithm as SMA cos I've given up on mine  Grin

P

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
eabadger

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2019, 09:04:07 AM »

i like to remote monitor as battery shed 100m away, so have 3x mppt morningstars and now the bmv was hoping to export the solar data to the victron unit but when i tried had an issue, which victron are still working on.
our multiplus's are in master slave, but the slave has an issue, victron dealer here wanted 1200 to fix under warranty !!
so went back to victron, who had it a week and said nothing wrong, came back still faulty, going back again now they have agreed with my diagnoses and seen a video to prove issue!!
only need the two in the summer anyway to start the heat pump.
but give ability to charge higher when genset running.

steve

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
Scruff

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2019, 09:43:13 AM »

I have 8 MS Controllers the ninth is about to get sold. For battery monitors I've a BMV,  Bep marine, ApprenticeVolt, Trimetric, Studer and two Smartgauges(48v)
The Smartgauge is ok.
Trimetric is the only one I'd recommend for  true off gridding.
eabadger

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2019, 10:03:41 AM »

wow!!
"I have 8 MS Controllers"

why so many?
i get nervous when our 3 are outputting near on 180a.
the 4 one is on the spare bank.

not much sun today, but yesterday and sunday were good.

steve

1kw wind turbine.
Scruff

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2019, 03:35:08 PM »

They looked lonely. whistlie

EcoPulse PWM & Sunsaver MPPT in service, 2 x  Spare TriStar 45 PWM, 1 x Spare TriStar 37.5MPPT, Gen 2 ProStar...looking for home, Spare SunSaver MPPT, Spare Remote Meter, Spare TriStar Meter, SunSaver...hanging out, beside my spare inverters in my spare 20' container.....anyone wanna hire a 20kVA solid state genset? 

No ProStar Gen 3's yet   Cry

You what's a great feature in a battery monitor? Legibility!

Pord

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2019, 04:54:57 PM »

Scruff, as a beginner can I check that I properly understand your advice - set both absorption and EQ to 32V. When SG indicates fully charged (approx 1.29 at current 5degC), revert to original settings 29.6v and 31v respectively. Have I got that right?

Yes, I may come back for advice on replacing the Victron 100/50 mppt controller with a suitable Morningstar (second hand, if there's any available for sale...?)

Scruff

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2019, 07:27:47 PM »

Set absorp to 32V until charged.

I don't advise reverting back to a setup that isn't working.

Don't feel bad, you're not the first person a manufacturer has led up the garden path, par for the course. We all end up buying into the marketing, figuring out its a loada shyte and then getting something proper instead. If it's not the case then you're either incredibly lucky or haven't noticed yet.

If the battery is 1.275SG (at correct water level) once a month then problem solved.

I only have A gen2 ProStar 30M PWM on the to go list...pm me if you want that one (cheep enough), I also have the world's only Sunsaver 1210 with a remote temperature transistor sensor I could be persuaded to part with. I ship all my preloved controllers with a free DIY temp. sensor kit.
Pord

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2019, 05:35:08 PM »

Thanks Scruff (and for the PM too).

I changed the absorption to 32v and after some good sunshine today the SG is at 1.27-1.28 (actual, temp is 5degC). It's definitely helping, so I'll continue with the current setup for now, especially as we have more sunshine forecast. The controller never reached absorption.

I did notice today that during sustained sunshine, when the controller app would reach over 300w at around 5a and 70v, it would stop charging. It cycled through that process continually during bright periods. Is that normal, based on my settings? Or is that Victron...? (See, I'm learning!)

eabadger

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2019, 06:25:06 PM »

not sure about the victron, but my mppt morningstars say 150v max input and ramp power output down from 135v upwards, shows a diagram of this in manual maybe victron do similar.
i have seen peak sun outputs put my controllers in to alarm, normally after slight cloud cleared.

steve

1kw wind turbine.
Scruff

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2019, 10:10:48 PM »

I wonder if Victron use the same algorithm as SMA cos I've given up on mine  Grin

Same goes for most competitors. 1.27 was the best I've seen off the shelf from Sterling/ProNautic.
Some people don't know how to use their electrolyte as coolant.  Roll Eyes

Hence I convert MS Mppt jobbers into Mains chargers.

I changed the absorption to 32v and after some good sunshine today the SG is at 1.27-1.28 (actual, temp is 5degC).

That was quick. Carry on. Don't overdo it. If you do overdo it, it's better than underdoing it.

I did notice today that during sustained sunshine, when the controller app would reach over 300w at around 5a and 70v, it would stop charging. It cycled through that process continually during bright periods. Is that normal, based on my settings? Or is that Victron...?

Both.
That controller has a feeble heatsink for it's rating.
From the people who proclaim expected operating temp. derating as a reliability feature!
" Protection against overheating: the output current will reduce as
    temperature increases up to 60C, but the charger will not fail."

MorningStar can maintain 100% Duty, 100% of the time.

i have seen peak sun outputs put my controllers in to alarm, normally after slight cloud cleared.

Cloud Edging Overvoltage.
Is your max. temperature compensated Panel Voc uprating below the MS PV in Voc thresholds?
eabadger

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2019, 06:57:58 AM »

"MorningStar can maintain 100% Duty, 100% of the time."

my morningstar's derate in heat, and high input current, manual shows graph of it.

steve

1kw wind turbine.
Scruff

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2019, 09:53:01 AM »

...on rare occasions, when the heatsink reaches 80C

not like my Victron IP charger that reduces to 85% output 3 seconds after starting. 60C feeble internal heatsink.

eabadger

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2019, 02:54:39 PM »

did it loads here last summer, i had to hook a fan up in shed to keep them cool.
they also start derating i think when input goes over 130v, according to their support team, mine all kept reporting dipswitch change error when sun came out from cloud cover, apparently known fault being fixed...
had another one stop working last summer, they changed no problems, fault was diagnosed by unit as dipswitches incorrect, not sure if conected with known software bug, but that controllers dipswitches has a dark hole in it, the network both serial and tcp stopped working, not had time to check it out yet, but hope to soon.

steve

1kw wind turbine.
Scruff

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2019, 08:22:03 PM »

I run my sunsaver 15 mppt at full tilt often enough. I've not seen my others derate. Ireland.  winter
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: