navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wood prices  (Read 1194 times)
jtp10000

« on: January 28, 2019, 04:27:12 PM »

Would love to hear what people are paying for seasoned and split bulk firewood wood.
I have almost run out of self-supply so need to start buying in and it is looking painfully expensive.

Also what do you think the numbers translate into i.e.
1m3 loose logs= how many m3 stacked = how many tonnes?

Of course size of logs makes a difference as well when packed loose so it can't be scientific.

Thanks!
Joeyboswell

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 05:47:08 PM »

I paid £100 for 1m3 delivered logs in Staffordshire
offthegridandy

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 08:26:02 PM »

Assuming dry timber, for guidance 1 cu mtr hardwood should weigh in around 700kg.  Can be as much as 850 Kilo for real old oak and less on alder and Elm. Soft wood will be approx 500 kilo per cube.

In the last 12 months I've bought 2 cu mtr hard wood ( 2 years dry) cost £215 delivered. Plus 1.2 cube mixed (hard and soft) 1 year dry £115 delivered. Both cut and split to suit our stove.  Genuine loads packed and stacked in trailer not tumbled into a bag with big voids.  Mid Wales.

Andy

It's basically cheaper to burn oil if price is the only consideration.

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array permanently ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw wind turbine H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 Kw
eabadger

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 06:40:47 AM »

sell it by the stere or 3 x stere = a corde here.
last lot mix oak and chestnut was €52 per stere, which is about .85m cube at 500mm length logs.
at original 2m length it works out at m cube, if that makes sense.
we had 6 corde for central heating and hot water for winter delivered in November.

steve 

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
knighty

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 11:22:47 AM »

not sure on weight/volume

but a dumpy bag of mixed hard/soft wood is £50 here

it/s not a full size dumpy bag tho... not much smaller than a normal one... only noticed the difference when one of wood was put down next to one of mine with rubble in it

no idea how price compares... there's a guy who works for me who buys one now and again
chasfromnorfolk

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 12:41:00 PM »

I just got another load in yesterday: I buy by the trailer-load - loose stacked - and unloaded into a pile, you’d think it was about 1m3 but I passed the trailer this morning and nipped out to measure it...

So, .65m3 of ‘seasoned’ Ash.

A m3 loose is reckoned to be .6 stacked, so my .65 nets to .4ish. Nevertheless, at £30 a load I consider it a good enough deal that I don’t shop around.

‘Seasoned’ seems to mean different things. To my supplier, if it’s been dead a year as wind-blow and brought to me fresh cut and split it’s seasoned. To my mind, until it’s been cut it doesn’t start to season viz a sample taken indoors last night and put on the fire didn’t burn particularly well, better than fresh of course. But again, I don’t make a big deal of it. They be Norfolk prices and ‘cubes’ .

Last time I looked, a ‘big bag’ of loose fill logs was .7 tonne.

Chas
Bodidly

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 07:07:16 AM »

Hi. Here are our numbers for you on sub 20% air-dried logs

Hardwood. £115 for 1 loose cubic meter and £210 for 2 Delivered
Softwood.  £80   for 1 loose cubic meter and £140 for 2 Delivered

Yes, it's expensive but the cost of buying in wood in the round has shot up in recent times due to demand for biomass. We have to buy and process wood a year in advance so no return for a long time.

Weight for dry loose logs I make it about 360kg for hardwood. That is based on taking 2 cubes (ash) over a weighbridge. Weight would be near 500kg when fresh cut for most species.

Stacking a cube will take up around 0.8 of a cube. Builders bags hold around 0.6 of a cube

* DSC01552.jpg.39acdb9d1437a907ad2790a5b077cabc.jpg (57.4 KB, 400x600 - viewed 297 times.)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 07:15:09 AM by Bodidly » Logged
Sprinter

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 10:53:59 AM »

Buying in "seasoned wood" is very expensive, we did it when we had too, but i built a wood shed to store, and season the stuff a couple of years ago, it worked great for half a winter before my poor carpentry and DIY skills came into play and it blew away  Roll Eyes

Early in 2018 I payed a mate £700 to build me another log store that would not blow away, its a very sturdy place that can take probably 6 - 8 cubic meters, and as we only uses about 2 - 2.5 CM per winter we can now buy green hardwood @ £280 for 4 CM, and dry it ourselves.

During 2018 we bought the first 4CM, were on track to use half of that wood this year (its dries fantastically with all of the airflow we have built into it), leaving half for next winter. This year we will be buying another 4CM and that will put is into an excellent drying cycle for the future.

It actually didnt take much room, and we had some dead space on the end of the garage where we added the shed, if you can find the room its much better to spend some money on building a drying shed if you can, looks like we are saving a couple of hundred ish a year so the shed wont take too long to pay for itself, but the dried wood that comes out of it is amazing.
eabadger

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 11:16:52 AM »

the farm we get it from seasons it in sheds for three years, all checked.
this is half our delivery, two tractor trailers with extensions.
second trip he had to ring me to go and rescue him as he had broken down, turns out he ran out of diesel!!

steve

* 2018 wood.JPG (131.13 KB, 640x480 - viewed 278 times.)

* 2018 wood 2.JPG (170.83 KB, 640x480 - viewed 288 times.)

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
chasfromnorfolk

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 03:03:51 PM »

All of the above jtp, drying is key. My anecdote was impoverished for want of example figures: pretty well still ‘as delivered’ (and ‘seasoned’, if you recall) though its now in a redundant greenhouse for 48 hours and improving: 150mm rounds 26%, thick split chunks from bigger rounds 22%, only smaller rounds 50mm to 80mm burnable immediately at 16%, everything in between is well, in between. The same meter stuck in a nearby growing Ash: 38%, but of course that’s the outer 3mm  - the book figure for green Ash is 32% and of course heartwood, by definition, doesn’t have sap running through it.

You can learn a lot about yer wood with a cheap moisture meter. I keep mine mainly for checking progress drying down small pieces  to near zero, for the pizza oven. BTW, if you do dry down that much, don’t leave it lying about - it seems to absorb atmospheric moisture...

Chas.
ecogeorge

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 07:34:27 PM »

Buying wood - a mugs game  IMHO........... Look on free cycle , free wheely etc .........
I run my house now  (previous life had  several acres and overgrown trees/hedges) on scrap wood -predominately pallets !
Anything except euro pallets (there're worth about £4 if good) .Work has to pay to dispose of wood waste -just saw on a large table top saw throughout the year and stack on pallets with pallet collars (https://associated-pallets.co.uk/product/1200-800-195mm-pallet-collar/?attribute_package-size=Single+Units&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkMSY5qGW4AIVybHtCh3OowiFEAQYAiABEgIf5vD_BwE )
again foc from work -no one asks for them back !!!
Only downside is its softwood , but usually v dry.
Nails in ash are an issue -removed with a skoda door speaker magnet daily.
Try a  local town  ,-go around back of wholesalers -often stacked up scrap pallets , -buildings sites -full of scrap pallets.
Just my 2p.
George.
jtp10000

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 08:42:48 PM »

Interesting to hear the differences. Sounds like one advantage (amongst the others!) of living in France is that wood is about 50% of the cost here.

Where I am it is a bit of a racket. There is forestry everywhere but also lots of stockbrokers in Surrey. Although some on here seem to be paying similar prices.
Just seems wrong to me I can get Scottish pallet delivered kiln dried wood for almost the same as the local firewood companies. Especially when 'seasoned' is 30% moisture content. I had a brief go and trying to explain that it wasn't really seasoned at all.

A big order doesn't get a discount because they can deliver one or m3 at a go and do it all day long anyway. I am also having trouble getting one to understand that I can't be expected to pay the same price for soft and hard wood. As a few have said buying it in is a bit of a mugs game if you want volume.

My problem is I probably need around 20 tonnes a year / almost 60 m3 stacked so £90 a m3 loose is not doable even with my RHI. Really I want to be paying French prices  bike.
Also the boiler wants 500mm lengths, or apparently that is one reason it might not be working properly.

So the answer is to get some cordwood then process and dry it (I have about 12m3 stacked of storage already can do some Swedish log piles as well). The problem then is processing, a lot to do with a splitting axe and my cr**py chainsaw and I don't really have processing space to do it efficiently. I could try and hire in a processor but need to find one locally.

I have one more local supplier whom I am hoping will be more reasonable. In the meanwhile I have knocked this together. Not sure it is that scientific but any comments very welcome, especially any big mistakes.

rogeriko

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2019, 10:07:31 PM »

This lot cost £750 straight of one of those artic log trucks you see driving around. Half a truckload. Shropshire, near to Wales where they used to have lots of trees!!

* wood.JPG (387.21 KB, 3954x2313 - viewed 202 times.)

eabadger

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2019, 07:14:28 AM »

the market here is set up for it i suppose, everyone has a wood fire of some sort, to supplement the almost standard now electric heating.
we have had some bad suppliers but have found a really good one now, he tips kids stack!
we live in a forest, but even the windfalls and there are lots, would take more time and effort than the €50 ready to burn, that isnt saying we dont get windfalls.

steve

1kw wind turbine.
chasfromnorfolk

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2019, 07:46:20 AM »

...Shropshire, near to Wales where they used to have lots of trees!!

Ahh... Shropshire. I had a huge clear-fell licence in Shropshire, many years ago. Twemloes Big Wood. It’s where I heard this from a larch merchant:

“Nasty, dirty business, forestry.”

Certainly was.

Chas
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: