navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rain water purification !  (Read 891 times)
Jesen

« on: January 30, 2019, 02:13:46 PM »

Hi

I installed a rain water system years ago to collect water off the roof into a 10000 liters underground tank which is pumped into a toilet system every time the toilet is flushed by a compressor water pump that kicks in and off automatically . I initially had a few impurity problems blocking the ball cock in the toilet but since installing  a cartridge filter it's works perfectly.

With the ever increasing price of water out here in France I'm now considering using this endless source of water (we also have a river  flowing under our property) to more extent like dish washers, washing machines etc but would like to put in a far advanced purification system .

Can anybody recommend a good  purification system with filters and ultra violet ? With pros & cons ?

I am obviously aware of all plumbing regs concerning grey water etc

A quick Google found me a system that can do 1500 liters a day for 300 Euros which sounds a bit too good to be true.

Thanks in advance

Jason

billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 02:56:54 PM »

I used the ultrafiltration  idea  to filter our pond water , we even cooked , showers   etc with it

Good thing is it just needed the pump  that was needed anyway

I got it from there  https://www.memfilwater.com/filter_dss-540s.php

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Jesen

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 04:36:36 PM »

Thanks for that Billi

I can't realy find what I'm looking for on their site and no prices ?

Idealy as well if the system was also a water softner that would be brill but maybe asking too much now !

Cheers

billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 05:13:24 PM »

i   decided  for that idea  cause didnot want UV  light electricity nor reverse osmosis

Did a  quite a bit of research on ultrofiltration    and had  no complaint about our waterquality ( tested to EU standards  for potable water )  out of a pond  garden    
At the time those systems where available in the UK and in USA,  for a  horrible and irrational  price , so  ordered from them,  think its Malaysia .....   i paid  under 1000 Euro delivered to Ireland  ( think it was actually only 600) including  a spare membrane cartridge

The  filter is an inline filter that needs backwashing,    once a month , the size  , is depending on your wanted flow rate   and pressure
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultrafiltration

cause our spring pond water had some iron and manganese  that i wanted to get out , i installed a  venturi  valve  that injects  air in the water and then one can filter the stuff out ......

« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 05:32:06 PM by billi » Logged

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Jesen

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 07:31:20 AM »

Thanks once again Billi !

All very interesting stuff . I take it that the back wash is a manuel process that you have to do/think of doing every month ?

Cheers

billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 08:34:44 AM »

Hi Jesen

am pretty sure  , they have automatic  backwash ideas too , i   turn  3 leavers  and   flush for 5 min

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: