navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Switching supplier with SMETS1  (Read 341 times)
dan_b

« on: February 06, 2019, 11:53:27 AM »

Well well well, that was interesting...

I've just switched supplier in the last couple of weeks, now on Octopus.  This time last year, my previous supplier (Tonik) fitted me with SMETS1 Smart Meters for both Gas and Electric (and I opted in to submitting half-hourly readings). With Tonik I did have a fair few problems with the Smart Meters "losing connection" - in particular the Electric one but not gas - for 2-3 weeks at a time.

Having heard all the stories about how SMETS1 meters can't be easily ported to a new supplier, I was a bit (pleasantly) surprised when I got a message from Octopus on Monday saying "good news, we've successfully connected to both of your Smart Meters and we are now taking automatic readings".

So there you go - looks like SMETS1s can be ported, and it looks like in the case with Octopus at least, it's relatively straightforward.

If anyone wants to switch to Octopus in the near future, please use my referral code as it will give both you and me £50 off your bill share.octopus.energy/teal-leaf-367

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery
Philip R

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 08:18:45 PM »

All this business with who should own the meters? All the fault of HMG and the clowns at ofgem!

Glad to see the new meters can be adopted by new energy supplier.
Philip R
omega1

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 11:37:42 AM »

Just wondering if the switch went OK because new supplier uses the same make of smart meter/s as the old supplier.
My last switch some 18 months ago was from Eon to OVO.
OVO were able to use the Eon fitted SMETS1 meter as they were the same make as they fitted themselves.
There was a slight hiccup at the start as I am on economy 7 and Eon used tariff 1 for day rate and tariff 2 for economy 7 rate.
You've guessed it OVO set up their meters the other way round !!!.  facepalm
It did take them a week or so to program my meter to their setup but it was eventually sorted.
Dan would be interested to know what make of meter/s you have fitted ?
dan_b

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 12:31:42 PM »

They are both ďLiberty SecureĒ meters...

4kW PowerVault Battery
omega1

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 08:28:34 PM »

Hi Dan
Sounds as if they are the same meters that I have fitted.
Looks like Octopus may be my next supplier,if their prices are good, when present contract with OVO runs out, if they can keep the smart capability of Liberty SMETS1 meters.
Contract with OVO does not run out until September but will keep your referral link just in case its still valid at that time.  fingers crossed!

Regards  Kevin
dan_b

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 11:19:18 PM »

As far as Iím aware the referral codes should last for as long as Iím with Octopus.   Iíve just had my first referral success too so looking forward to seeing £50 off my next bill...

4kW PowerVault Battery
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: