navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cottam coal-fired power station to close.  (Read 567 times)
stannn
Global Moderator

« on: February 07, 2019, 02:49:53 PM »

https://www.businessgreen.com/bg/news/3070668/cottam-closure-brings-uk-coal-power-plant-count-to-six

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
dan_b

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 03:06:58 PM »

Whilst good to see coals continuing decline, this winter has shown several times that the question of what replaces that capacity is essential. We have maxed out gas and coal generation on multiple days when wind, solar and nuclear have all been missing in action...

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
Philip R

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 07:58:55 PM »

Seriously bad news. As Dan B has stated, the coal plants provide good reliable backup when the others are not there. Trouble is, the carbon floor and low utilisation make the numbers poor.

I worked there as a contractor, sad to see it go.

This uk government of ours has taken its eye off the ball and allowing dessecration to the infrastructure not seen since WW2!

What also now does not help is Nemo link. Indirectly or very directly importing subsidised German  dirty lignite powerred electricity. UK loses taxpaying power workers money and we import electricity to the detriment of our countries wealth. It really stinks. The power is not green from Belgium as their nuclear is part shutdown. So the power is by default German coal instead. UK should bot import Dutch or Belgian electricity until Germany greens up it electricity production. Rant over.

Philip R
pdf27

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 08:08:59 PM »

This uk government of ours has taken its eye off the ball and allowing dessecration to the infrastructure not seen since WW2!
That isn't an accident.
linesrg

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 08:57:20 PM »

Good Evening All,

Much as I support a transition to RE I also understand we need well planned flexibility for sometime in the future. As somebody who is purposefully changing their energy demand to more electric, as others are being encouraged to do, then I'd like to see a coherent plan in place. I'm not sure this is coherent.

Regards

Richard

1.28kW on a Lorentz ETATRACK1000 + 1.44kW/ SB3000TL-21 (FIT), 1.28kW/ SB1700 (ROO/FIT). CTC GSi12 heat pump/Ecosol/Flowbox 8010e/Gledhill ASL0085 EHS/3off Navitron 4720AL Solar ET & Immersun T1060/T1070/T1090. 3.375kW/ SMA SB3600TL-21 and a Sunny Island 4.4M-12 c/w 15.2kWh battery and a Renault Zoe.
GarethC

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 05:24:46 AM »

I thought the very low prices of the last capacity auction were taken to indicate that the UK just doesn't have a capacity problem? I. E. I think we can meet demand without coal (presumably using gas). It's just that it would be more expensive. May be completely wrong here.
oliver90owner

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 09:16:49 AM »

Gareth,

Overall, yes.  At all times, no.  Clearly obvious, because coal and gas have been running (almost) flat out, at times, recently.  2GW is 48GWh on a foggy still day that would need to be replaced somehow, every day it occurs plus the means to replenish any stored energy used up (while wind and PV were minimal).

As Philip R pointed out, importing fossil fuel generated electricity is neither helping the planet nor improving the UK balance of payments.  Ten Swansea-like tidal systems would be a good substitute, but the government is blind, or not wishing to invest any money (not their money, anyway) for fear of losing some votes.  The cost will be much higher further down the line!
Philip R

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 08:54:19 PM »

It closed yesterday.
I had to trawl into the BBC Nottinghamshire news. Did not make the headlines. More interested in the PMs former activities.
Philip R.
RIT

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 01:45:03 AM »

You have to take into account that this plant had an original 30-year life, but has now been operating for 50 years and while it has received a lot of upgrades there is only so much to can do to 'improve' such a site.

Also, the main reason why it is being shut down now is that it did not win a contract under the backup supply auction that took place at some point. This infers that some other generation plant did tender for the required capacity and win - so the total capacity in the market place has not dropped. Instead, Cottam shut down today because their contract ended, but another provider's contract started at the same time. I would guess one of the newer CCGT plants is now servicing the contract.

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
HalcyonRichard

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 07:38:14 AM »

If the import of energy via interconnects is only occassionally and in relatively small percentages of overall consumption I cannot see the problem. Any idea of what percentage and number of hours/days its likely tu be used ?

Laws are for the guidance of wise men and the obeyance of fools - Richard Burton upon Trent
brackwell

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2019, 08:11:47 AM »

See https://www.bmreports.com/bmrs/?q=eds/main    Interconnector flows.

the flow of leccy through the interconnectors is quite complex and needs a lot of studying at different times of the day. The cross border flows can be seen on here along with the co2 intensity.  
   https:https://www.bmreports.com/bmrs/?q=eds/main

As far as i can see everycountry benefits at different times of the day/yr   by selling their excesses and buying the shortages
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 09:01:05 AM by brackwell » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: