navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Woodpellet boiler spares - igniter  (Read 799 times)
chasfromnorfolk

« on: February 14, 2019, 09:07:32 AM »

Otherwise relatively trouble-free Grant Spira failed to kick in last night, and an examination shows the igniter has failed. A brief, worrying visit to the Grant spares website shows them listed at a whopping £350...

Has anyone access to Grant spares, new or s/h, or to compatible igniters? There are ceramic igniters online at £50/60 but finding one to fit could be a problem.
Grant are having a larf, surely?

I lit it with a blowlamp this morning - but thatís plainly not a permanent solution.
Cheers, Chas
Philip R

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 05:54:20 PM »

Chas,
I am not psychic or capable of remote viewing.
Tell us about this igniter, marking numbers etc.then someone here might be able to help you get your hands on one!
Philip R
chasfromnorfolk

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 07:44:20 PM »

Problem is Philip thereís no identifying marks or numbers on it. I do know from a foray into Grant spares that itís common to both the 6/26 and 9/36 boilers, so I figured anyone familiar with them might know more than me. However, youíre right, a pic might have helped. Assuming the uploadís worked, itís in two parts: the igniter tube itself and that plugs into a ceramic collar that has the wiring attached. The collar keeps the whole thing centred in the tube pointing into the brazier.

Chas

Heinz

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 09:39:26 AM »

I just put 'pellet boiler igniter' into google images worldwide and there are several similar looking igniters amongst the images. Sites like Alibaba can be quite useful as the descriptions of the Chinese knockoff parts often give dimensions and original part name/number. I often use this to identify obscure parts at work.

Heinz

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try' "  Yoda
rogeriko

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 09:58:42 PM »

I just put 'pellet boiler igniter' into google images worldwide and there are several similar looking igniters amongst the images. Sites like Alibaba can be quite useful as the descriptions of the Chinese knockoff parts often give dimensions and original part name/number. I often use this to identify obscure parts at work.

Heinz

What makes you think they are "Chinese knock off parts"   They are probably the original parts the boiler manufacturers use!!

Fionn

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 07:26:51 AM »

I think Heinz was just saying that the details provided in Chinese listings can be a useful aid in identifying parts, original or otherwise.

6.75kW PV - 2.75kW East, 1.5kW South, 2.5kW West. 3 x Flat Plate Solar Thermal with side arm FPHE on 268L cylinder
Philip R

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 07:08:52 PM »

I did a google search under wood pellet boiler igniter.

I came up with two OEMs of hot surface igniters. FKK corperation in Japan. or Rauschert in Germany. The latter have a product that looks just like the one shown earlier on postimage.

I do not think Grant would use a Chinese supplier.

Philip R
chasfromnorfolk

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 08:36:00 AM »

Morning, and thanks All for the input.
A progress report: found an Irish reseller of FKK and following an exchange of emails have bought one that they claim will do the job - hopefully itíll arrive later this week.
And I too came across Rauschert and initially mailed them - they claim to sell direct. Having got an acknowledgement but nothing further, a deeper revisit to the site over the weekend got me a lists of Agents worldwide, among them a UK one. Mailed an enquiry, but havenít heard back from them yet, what with it being the weekend...
Alibaba is a helluva source list, isnít it? There are several there could well do the job but Iím pursuing those closer for the moment.
Cheers, Chas
chasfromnorfolk

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 09:56:09 AM »

Ok, to finish this, in case anyone else needs one:
Grant issue: £350 + vat (20%?)
Equivalent Rauschert via UK agent £170 + vat
Compatible FKK via eBay, £60 inc everything, fast post from Ireland, in the boiler and happily igniting. Dunno for how long, but hey, evidently the original is considered a Ďconsumableí...

Yer pays yer money and takes yer choice.

Chas
daveluck_uk

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 02:17:14 PM »

Can you ost a link to the Irish seller please
chasfromnorfolk

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2019, 05:09:07 PM »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FKK-Ceramic-Wood-pellet-Igniters-PSx-2-240-B/163256447238
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: