navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rainwater pump is calling for mains only  (Read 2496 times)
knighty

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2019, 10:29:34 AM »

if the valve is knackered you have nothing to lose... take the cover off, there's normally a little motor with a gear on it which works the valve

you could turn/move it by hand and then jam it in place?
chris wills

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2019, 12:09:08 PM »

So...after hours of fault finding, here is what I found.
All this was done with the flotation switch turned off:

1. The valve is fine, i took it off the pump system and it when i manually move the switch, it works fine between rain and mains, so no issues there, you can see the ball moving fine between the 2 positions.
2. Put it all back together and disconnected the rain inlet, switched it to mains and works fine, however with the rain vent now open and drawing in air it did not like this, when I put my hand over the rain inlet pipe on the 3 way, it drew the mains no problem and filled all the toilets, washing machine etc.
3. Then I put a blanking plug on the rain inlet and all good.

My conclusion is there is a draw of air somewhere along the hose and this is what is stopping the rain coming through. I doubt the pump likes to pull any air when attempting to get the rain

Next steps - take up all the rain hose and I may replace it, anyone know of a good flexible hose?
knighty

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2019, 02:18:08 PM »

even if there's air in the rain water pipe.... the pump should keep sucking on it and ignore the mains water?   the float should control the valve which controls where the water comes from?

can you make the valve work via electric?
chris wills

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2019, 07:34:44 AM »

Here's a stranger thing.

I disconnected the rain pipe and then manually put the system into mains only, it struggles to draw the water up the tube.
If I put the palm of my hand over the pipe where the rain water was, it works and begin to draw the water.
This would kind of suggest that the impeller is either not good enough to draw up the water when there is air present or the valve is not quite closing correctly and is drawing air.
Any thoughts?
knighty

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2019, 09:31:42 AM »

sounds like the valve isn't closing properly to me

I haven't seen a valve quite like your before... but if it's the same internally as a standard valve is simply moves a small rubber ball (on a stick) to block the port that you don't want to use

they don;t work very well if there's much of a pressure difference between the different ports - the ball can't seal well enough for that

I'd remove the valve and join the rain water supply directly to it, see how well ti works then.  if you've never run out of rain water before you should be ok?.... guess if you do run out or frain water you could top the rain water tank up a bit with your house pipe?
chris wills

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2019, 10:15:11 AM »

Yes I think this is my next attempt, keep it simple.
Many thanks - will keep you all posted.

chris wills

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2019, 01:42:34 PM »

Had a bit of a nightmare today in my pump saga, the connecting piece between the pump (black plastic) and the 3 way valve broke.
I connected it back to the mains so the pumps now out of the loop, for now.
Im trying to get a replacement, any ideas where I could get one?

With the broken 3 way and this part I am also having the dilemma of getting a new pump, maybe a submersible one, my wife always moaned of the noise anyway.
What the score with them? Any recommendations

* fullsizeoutput_99f.jpeg (226.1 KB, 850x1134 - viewed 193 times.)

* fullsizeoutput_99e.jpeg (205.02 KB, 850x1134 - viewed 171 times.)
chris wills

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2019, 01:59:44 PM »

this is a view of the pump

* fullsizeoutput_9a0.jpeg (356.99 KB, 850x1134 - viewed 166 times.)
merkland

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2019, 10:33:42 AM »

Why would you need a new pump? Going by the pictures you have  posted it looks as if it would be a simple job to fit a new pipe between pump and 3 way valve, pipe does not need to be plastic you could possibly use a piece 22mm copper with suitable fittings. The other connection to the pump is a copper pipe!

merkland.

200w wind turbine grid tied, 1x175w PV grid tie or to batteries,
2x55w PV to batteries, 24vx440ah battery bank. 3.5Kw grid tie (14xSanyo 250w facing 160degrees at 80 degrees inclination, Aurora 3.6 inverter), 2xflat panel water heating (for over 30 years )
chris wills

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2019, 12:06:42 PM »

Afraid not. The 3 way valve was the start of the problem. Itís not pulling rain water through.
To replace it is about £100 and to top it all I broke the inlet to the pump
chris wills

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2019, 01:28:09 PM »

The inlet pipe is 1" 1/4 size, I need a fitting to go over this and then I was going to put into a 22mm quick fit, any suggestions?
offthegridandy

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2019, 05:31:50 PM »

Hi Chris,

Machine Mart sell pumps that are supplied with those plastic fittings. To save the pump I'd try Machine Mart to get replacement pump fittings.  It is sometimes recommended that the pump connects 1st to some flexible pipe to eliminate vibrations.

As regards the valve I would see how far I could strip it and clean it up before junking it, nothing to loose!  If the actuator rarely ever is called upon to move, it may simply be (full of Sheeet) grunged about around the spindle and a simple clean up job might do it.

Good luck.

Andy

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array permanently ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw wind turbine H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 Kw
knighty

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2019, 09:21:52 PM »

you could get an adapter to screw straight onto the pump and join it to the rain water?

you might be best off taking the pump and rain water pipe to a plumbing center and asking them for the right connections... you might need a couple joining together :-)
chris wills

« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2019, 07:58:30 AM »

Thankyou for your feedback guys, forgot about machine mart, I did take the bits to a few plumb centres yesterday but no luck.
The plastic part that went into the pump also contained the non-return valve, picture attached, so I assume this is required to stop the pump running dry. I have located one on eBay here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-BSP-Brass-Non-Return-Valve-Spring-Check-Various-Sizes-1-2-to-2/222962481369?var=521767852365

Then from the valve, reduced to 3/4inch:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-BRASS-plumbing-pipe-reducing-bush-Male-X-Female-BSP-You-choose-size/110635084750?var=410017337148

Then from the reducer to a speedfit 3/4 to 22mm:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPEEDFIT-22MM-X-3-4-BSP-BRASS-MALE-COUPLER-22MC-3-4/300731735429

Any thoughts

I really do appreciate all your comments, you have been so helpful.

* fullsizeoutput_a0c.jpeg (83.96 KB, 567x756 - viewed 134 times.)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 09:56:50 AM by chris wills » Logged
knighty

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2019, 10:48:35 PM »

those parts lppk right to me... are you going to swap the rain water flexi pipe for 22 plastic or copper pipe?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: