navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Passivhaus architect?  (Read 1582 times)
dan_b

« on: March 19, 2019, 06:59:22 PM »

Friend of mine is buying a plot of land and wants to build a Passivhaus new build family home on it.  Looking for any architects/ designers / builders - perhaps based in Reading/ Berkshire area ideally - any suggestions?

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
dan_b

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 09:02:37 AM »

/\ bump /\ anyone?

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 09:31:38 AM »

Tinbum might know.
       I know that such architects have been mentioned here on the Forum not that long ago .
  Come on folks. ?
             Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 09:40:18 AM »

I imagine that a good place to start looking would be  an architect s office and ask them do they have a passivhaus side to their business .
   The important thing to remember. Is to ask to see past work achievements. We have had stories of so called passivhaus architects using clients like guinea pigs and clients being badly out of pocket. So a sensible approach is the one with the proven record and no fancy stuff
        Biff
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 09:41:55 AM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Tinbum

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 10:28:10 AM »

Tinbum might know.
       I know that such architects have been mentioned here on the Forum not that long ago .
  Come on folks. ?
             Biff

Sorry no I don't know of any.

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
Tigger

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 10:30:51 AM »

Just a thought, how about talking to the folks at the local planning office, they may well know somebody and will probably be more 'on side' from the outset that way......

30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
A.L.

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 11:05:38 AM »

hello,

P.M. sent
Moxi

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 11:44:25 AM »

Hi Dan_B

Making and enquiry with my uncle (architect) to see if he is able, or knows of anyone local who is, for you.

Moxi
Moxi

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 03:21:57 PM »

Sorry Dan B uncle Colin isnít to the standard and doesnít know anyone in the area sorry.
kristen

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 11:04:34 AM »

I used Eco Design Consultants in Milton Keynes, no idea how far they cover though. Nothing but good things to say about the input they provided and job they did.

http://www.ecodesignconsultants.co.uk/

I retained local architect (onside with Passive House but not skilled) and quality builder (don't care what you want, so long as it is on the plans that's how we will build it) ... but they did need some input from Passive House consultant to be "aware" of things they had to get right.  I didn't want to afford cost of full control from Consultant, so he came onsite at specific points in project.  Dunno if that was foolish ...

Consultant objected to some design features Architect designed (with Maths to back it up Smiley ) and those features were ditched (from memory complicate dormer in roof which had huge thermal loss ... and a fortune in complicated Hips etc Smiley ... and also roof-glass (i.e. Velux-type) which he said would catch far too much sun in summer, and be a source of falling cold-air in winter. We were worried that room would not be bright enough, architect told us not to worry on that point, and turns out he was right Smiley )

Love the Passive House. Neither wife nor I have had a winter cough or cold in the 5-ish years since built.  Such health benefits are a known feature of course.
dan_b

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 11:47:49 AM »

Thanks for this, will pass on the details to my friend!

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: