navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone else track their temp?  (Read 445 times)
pantsmachine

« on: April 21, 2019, 07:10:39 AM »

Hi all, I have been Improving the insulation envelope in the house across the last few years and in November installed hive in a multi zone environment. The house was empty for three weeks in Feb while we were in India and I have been tracking the temperature loss in the zones since New Year when no heat sources are present (solar or ch).

The down zone drops an average 0.3 degs c per hour while the upper zone drops 0.25 degs c per hour. These figures are taken from approx 10pm to 7am and across Jan to mid April. I knew there had been improvement over the years but not sure how to quantify how good or where we would be in a scale with open tent at one end and passivhaus at the other.

I have a few more little things to do and i'll be done within a reasonable cost/return ratio. I am interested to hear from anyone else on how they have faired in tightening up the envelope?

Love the hive system , just got to allow for over run in temp after heating switches off in set up and it's great!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 07:22:15 AM by pantsmachine » Logged

HUGE insulation depth.
5.12 kw PV system with Solar edge.
4.8 kw Pylon tech battery storage.
All Low energy bulbs.
Solar I boost charging 210 ltr OSO system tank.
Balanced & zoned CH wet system & Hive 2
Wood fired thermosiphon cedar hot tub.
Masanobu Fukuoka inspired veg garden & fruit trees
Stig

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 09:35:54 AM »

Trouble is that temperature drop also depends on thermal 'mass' and inside-outside temperature difference so it'll be hard to make comparisons with other houses.  Mine dropped about 0.25'C per hour a couple of nights ago (no heating, no windows open) when it was about 8'C ish outside so only about 10'C difference - I've got a Raspberry Pi as a Hive-like controller and it logs temperature too.

My house is a typical 1980's timber frame but with 270mm loft insulation and retro-fit double glazing but poor air-tightness as the gas heating takes air from indoors.  A long way from Passivehaus but probably better than average.
marshman

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 09:58:57 AM »

I agree with Stig, very, very difficult to compare. Site exposure, solar gain, window area, insulation, thermal mass, occupancy etc. etc. all vary.

Just looked at what happened here last night. Indoor temp fell from 21.9 to 21.2 deg C - 0.7 deg drop between 21:00 and 7:00 (overnight) 10 hours. Outside temp was average 8 deg C. Checked and heatpump has not added any heat for several days. Usually heating is running 24/7 so not sure what would happen in colder periods. I do know that before the GSHP was fitted and we relied on a WBS if we went away for a weekend in the winter the house was not ice cold when we returned, dropping from 20 deg C to 15 or 16 deg C over 2 days with outside temps of 4 or 5 deg.  Insulation, draught proofing etc have been improved since those days and in large part the temperature "stability" is down to the thermal mass - 2 foot thick walls and large inglenook fireplace/chimney (sealed!).

Roger

3.15kWpk (15xSharp ND210)/SB3000. & 3.675kWpk (15 x Suntech 245WD)/SB4000TL, 10kW GSHP driving Wirsbo underfloor heating from 1200m ground loops. 10' x 7' solar wall (experimental). Clearview 650 Wood Burning Stove. MHRV - diy retrofit. Triple glazing.
pantsmachine

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 01:48:54 PM »

Thank you for taking the time to reply lads. Best of Fortune to you both. I shall continue on my wee path and report back later. Smiley No simple equations then!

HUGE insulation depth.
5.12 kw PV system with Solar edge.
4.8 kw Pylon tech battery storage.
All Low energy bulbs.
Solar I boost charging 210 ltr OSO system tank.
Balanced & zoned CH wet system & Hive 2
Wood fired thermosiphon cedar hot tub.
Masanobu Fukuoka inspired veg garden & fruit trees
marshman

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 06:42:00 PM »

Thank you for taking the time to reply lads. Best of Fortune to you both. I shall continue on my wee path and report back later. Smiley No simple equations then!

Keep recording the data and just use it as a comparison from year to year to see what difference your improvements make. One problem is though the weather is never the same one year to the next, so you have to try to correlate it with outside temps. Personally I'm not sure taking just a seasonal average temperature is sufficient as it is easily distorted by a short heatwave or unseasonal cold snap - think "beast from the East" which will distort your perceptions.

Data is always good to collect - even if you don't know how you are going to use it .... yet Smiley

3.15kWpk (15xSharp ND210)/SB3000. & 3.675kWpk (15 x Suntech 245WD)/SB4000TL, 10kW GSHP driving Wirsbo underfloor heating from 1200m ground loops. 10' x 7' solar wall (experimental). Clearview 650 Wood Burning Stove. MHRV - diy retrofit. Triple glazing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: