navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: exterior building ground insulaton  (Read 505 times)
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« on: March 26, 2019, 02:42:00 PM »

Apologies for asking, not looking, I can only spend a tiny amount of time trying to look at a screen (against all advice) as my literal eye & brain focus is screwed at the moment.

However, for when we get the builder to us late summer by all accounts..

Where we are extending the bay window roofline (which is outside & remaining outside) for shading, rainproofing & panel siting purposes.
Should I insulate the entire length & width that is then covered by cement & tile finish to act as a buffer to the house from the cold, & in case it gets bricked in & turned into more "bay" (not by us) ..i've got to get the dining room floor slab & workshop slab smashed up & relaid with insulation & new floor, so is it worth doing the outer perimeter as above at the same time.

Also anyone seen any new takes on exterior panel insulation for domestic use or has grenfel put paid to that?

Ok thats my 10 mins screen time up... back later after me brain / eye / co-ordination exercises.

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
TT

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 09:55:53 PM »

Sorry, struggle to understand what you are describing?
Can you provide more info?
kristen

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 11:40:59 AM »

My 2P worth:

If you have the opportunity to insulate then I wold do so.  Building Regs have doubled the minimum level of insulation requirement in each of the last 4 or 5 decades ... so starting with "lots more than building regs" means you only have to do it just once Smiley but of course law-of-diminishing-returns applies.

Also worth looking at (and where possible improving) air tightness.

Personally I favour exterior insulation (all other things being equal) because it provides thermal mass inside the insulation envelope, which smooths the temperature.

The main part of our house is extremely well insulated and air-tightness is "good" (for a 60 year old house) and we have a Passive House extension; if we go away in mid winter and turn everything off the Passive House bit loses maybe 1C per day ... I reckon that's the combination of insulation + Thermal mass (all internal walls are dense-block)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: