navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cable insulation and UV  (Read 394 times)
JohnS

« on: April 20, 2019, 12:00:36 PM »

Hi
I had to replace a tile on my roof this morning and I noticed that the red DC cable connecting the panels has faded to a pink colour where it is exposed to the sunlight.  In places it is almost white.  The black cable looks ok. The installation is 9+ years old, being installed just before FITS started in March 2010.

Is this something that I should be concerned about and get the cables replaced.  Perhaps with the cables inside flexible conduit where they are exposed to sunshine. 

Thanks in advance.

John

2.1kWp solar PV
Westie

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 04:43:57 PM »

Hi
I had to replace a tile on my roof this morning and I noticed that the red DC cable connecting the panels has faded to a pink colour where it is exposed to the sunlight.  In places it is almost white.  The black cable looks ok. The installation is 9+ years old, being installed just before FITS started in March 2010.

Is this something that I should be concerned about and get the cables replaced.  Perhaps with the cables inside flexible conduit where they are exposed to sunshine. 

Thanks in advance.

John
As you say UV is degrading the insulation, eventually it'll just disintegrate. Fortunately the cable normally used for DC side has two layers of insulation.

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
linesrg

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 07:33:02 PM »

Good Evening Guys,

When I first set up my Solar PV I did toy with the idea of using both red and black genuine MC cable but stuck with the black.

Some of my cabling is now near 10 years old and there isn't a great deal of evidence of deterioration.

Regards

Richard

1.28kW on a Lorentz ETATRACK1000 + 1.44kW/ SB3000TL-21 (FIT), 1.28kW/ SB1700 (ROO/FIT). CTC GSi12 heat pump/Ecosol/Flowbox 8010e/Gledhill ASL0085 EHS/3off Navitron 4720AL Solar ET & Immersun T1060/T1070/T1090. 3.375kW/ SMA SB3600TL-21 and a Sunny Island 4.4M-12 c/w 15.2kWh battery and a Renault Zoe.
Philip R

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 06:32:08 PM »

Does the cable have a number on the sheath which would identify its composition, Something like H07-RNF (EPR PCP) for example.

Philip R
JohnS

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 09:14:12 PM »

Thanks for the replies.  I shall have a look at the cable and see if there are any numbers.
John

2.1kWp solar PV
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: