navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solar Panel Inter Array Spacing  (Read 479 times)
al barge

« on: September 05, 2020, 09:50:21 PM »

The excitement of watching the sun give us power from our two newly installed Navitron panel arrays has still not subsided, and we're thinking about being as self sufficient as possible.. so it's got me thinking stir

I'm wondering if anyone has a good rule of thumb or is good at the maths to help me see what I can fit on my roof space, I've tried a google and only found simple online calculators or using sin tan equations, but forget my schooldays maths use of them!

I'm *hoping I could fit 8 x 400w panels in four rows of two 2m x 1m in landscape, but maybe only three rows and using 3.6m / 3.5m x 1m panels would squeeze next to the stove flue. Obviously they could just be flat and would fit, but it would be better to angle them for half decent winter gain, and then using Bifacial panels could be good as they look to have a 15% gain from the rear with the albedo of matt aluminium which is our roof, so if angled could give us a good benefit.

So would 4 x 30°-50° tilted panel rows fit between the skylights and flue?

We are on 51.5° Lat London, on a barge South facing +8 Azimuth with shading from either buildings or trees until 10am and after 7pm right now 5th Sep.

The space between the skylights and the flue is 4.5m and the roof is 4.2m wide

The eagle eyed may notice the other two tall arrays are a bit close, but there's only a bit of shading from the front array around 4pm and placement was determined by the skylights either side of them.

Thanks

Al

« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 09:57:42 PM by al barge » Logged

38m Barge, Victron Multi 24/3000/70-16, Victron CCGX, 420Ah (c5) Used Forklift Batts, Smartgauge, 900w Kinve Panels, 720w Yingli panels, DIY wood Stove, DIY diesel drip stove heat exchanger circuit, 750l Akvaterm Thermal store - to be connected.
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 10:30:27 PM »

Stonkingly good! ... extrahappy

Al, I know theres a multitude of roof types n' all that but for those searching in future you may want to stick some pics of the mounts & detail on the thread for referencing in the future for others (plus I'd like a closer look at the mountings myself) for other boat minded folk (& the nosier amongst us).

genuflect

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
+a shed full of solar panels
smegal

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 11:00:59 PM »

I'd have to check, but I'm sure the rule of thumb for spacing was a spacing 1.5 times the height of the arrays.

When you’re thirsty, it’s too late to dig a well. - Unknown
al barge

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 11:03:27 PM »

Stonkingly good! ... extrahappy

Al, I know theres a multitude of roof types n' all that but for those searching in future you may want to stick some pics of the mounts & detail on the thread for referencing in the future for others (plus I'd like a closer look at the mountings myself) for other boat minded folk (& the nosier amongst us).

genuflect

Thanks Mr Gus

I was thinking to make a thread but haven't managed to yet, although I did post some pics in another thread about mounting here:

https://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32032.msg359913.html#msg359913

38m Barge, Victron Multi 24/3000/70-16, Victron CCGX, 420Ah (c5) Used Forklift Batts, Smartgauge, 900w Kinve Panels, 720w Yingli panels, DIY wood Stove, DIY diesel drip stove heat exchanger circuit, 750l Akvaterm Thermal store - to be connected.
al barge

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 11:09:47 PM »

I'd have to check, but I'm sure the rule of thumb for spacing was a spacing 1.5 times the height of the arrays.

That's good to know, but I was hoping it wasn't that much  Sad

MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 11:20:59 AM »

Thanks Mr Gus

I was thinking to make a thread but haven't managed to yet, although I did post some pics in another thread about mounting here:

https://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32032.msg359913.html#msg359913

I must have missed that / been shouting at an awful wee dog or something!  Grin

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
+a shed full of solar panels
Iain

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 03:08:08 PM »

Hi Al
What you need are a couple of something like this!!

Flat roof low level solar tracker. Or a project and make a couple.

Iain

* Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 15.19.24.png (298.65 KB, 770x546 - viewed 84 times.)

1.98kWp PV (11 x Sharp 180 and SB 2.5)
20 x 65mm Thermal and 180ltr unvented
Powervault 4Kw - G200 Lithium-Ion (LiFePO4)
9000ltr rainwater storage   Plymouth
al barge

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 03:35:19 PM »

Hi Al
What you need are a couple of something like this!!

Flat roof low level solar tracker. Or a project and make a couple.

Iain

I would love to have or make trackers. It would be fun to watch them spin around whilst cruising the river, but I prefer the simple option for now!

I might just have to mock up with some wood off-cuts a couple of panels at different tilts to see where the shading and spacing needs to be.

knighty

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2020, 11:34:27 PM »

if I was you... I think I'd just mount them all flat - figuring there's room for more panels that way and the extra panels will/should more than make up for the angle?

EDIT: a quick look on pvgis says...

4kw flat gives 3033.36kwh/year - mostly in summer

3kw 42' (optiomal for my location) gives 2804.79keh/year and a much better spread over the year

I was totally wrong, there's not much generated power difference, and I'm shocked by the summer/winter difference
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: