navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 [15]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Enecsys / Zigbee  (Read 133401 times)
Brian Drury

« Reply #210 on: December 11, 2015, 05:58:06 PM »

Thank you Ruby for a good post.

The positive or negative air pressure is a good sign. The black plastic thing at the cable end of the assembly is a very clever Gore Tex device that lets air through but stops moisture. It requires a small air pressure differential to operate.

I also wondered about the four empty diode locations. It is unusual to simply connect diodes in parallel because of matching problems but I have seen it done. I believe there is a higher power version of the inverter so maybe that is when the extra diodes are fitted.

I agree with your friend that to offer a repair service would make no economic sense. I am doing this out of interest plus there are 9 of these jobbies on my roof.

Could you tell us what fault symptoms you saw and what model (60 or 72 cell, singles or duos)

Finally, did you bin them or are they still around? They could be useful for spares.
RIT

South West London

« Reply #211 on: December 11, 2015, 06:30:17 PM »

Without knowing the whole story, I think that the board was designed with 8 diodes originally, but was subsequently reduced to 4 to reduce cost without fully appreciating the problem. When the sun is high and a lot of current has to be shifted this part has overheated until one diode gives up the struggle.

When looking at the photo of this area its a strong indication of a very poor design, or a stop gap during the early design phase that was never removed from the final design. Placing diodes in parallel to support higher currents is problematic to say the least as the diodes have to be matched so that they respond together, otherwise current will be drawn across one of the diodes first. The extra current draw will also then affect the temperature of the diode which will allow it to pass even more current. To result is that the 'work' load may not be shared 50/50 between the paired diodes and one may then overload and fail, at which point the other one is going to fail. The answer is to always purchase diodes that can do the job correctly.

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Join the fight against human malware at https://stats.foldingathome.org/team/259956

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
Nick57

« Reply #212 on: February 25, 2020, 02:08:09 PM »

Hi all,
We had recently two storms here in Bristol, and I decided to check the system and also at the same time to update my PI with latest nlMaca version 4 software.
When checking with this new software system I found 2 panels not producing anything since the last few days, but odd enough they do show the temp but 0 w produced in the panel.

- What could be wrong, is the Inverter OK but not getting power from the solar-panel as it might be very dirty or damaged from the 'flying' barge-board coming of the roof?
- How can I check and for sure it is not the Inverter but the solar-panel without getting scaffolding up to get on the roof?
- Is there an easy way to program and retrieve the produced kW per Inverter in this software or other means like the e2pv.php  or perl script?

- I have installed one of those early program versions on a windows pc and attached the screen-shot as well.

Any help much appreciated.

Nick

* Two-inverters-down-25-02-20.png (99.29 KB, 1886x920 - viewed 248 times.)

* 2020-02-25 15_21_46-Greenshot.png (66.95 KB, 1114x838 - viewed 226 times.)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 05:32:58 PM by Nick57 » Logged

PV system; 16 x 250w Siliken SLK60P6L Black, 16 x Enecsys SMI-S240W-60-UK Micro inverters, FIT meter: Elster A100C. Shading from Chimney!
Brian Drury

« Reply #213 on: February 25, 2020, 03:41:56 PM »

Hi Nick
Your system description says 16 inverters but only 15 are listed in the table and two of those look as if the PCB mounted fuse is open.
The main PIC processor is powered from solar which explains why they continue to report.
There is a simple Win based app you can use:  http://www.unitgate.eu/
I use it sometimes for diagnostic purposes.
I reverse engineered the schematic for the -60 inverter. You are welcome to a copy if you drop me an email. brian.drury@live.com
Brian
Nick57

« Reply #214 on: February 25, 2020, 05:05:10 PM »

Hi Brian,

thanks very much for your reply, much appreciated, sadly it is getting dark and cloudy now, but I made a screen-shot with all 16 inverters, will add it.
This PCB mounted fuse,is that something like a simple glass looking fuse or is it more complicated? If you say it is open is it possible to reset with software, or do they need to come off the roof?
I will install that program to see what it comes up with, it is perhaps to late for today, but maybe tomorrow can I post new results.

Nick

* 2020-02-25 17_12_29-Enecsys Generation 1 PC Monitor v 2.68.png (74.05 KB, 1102x810 - viewed 234 times.)

PV system; 16 x 250w Siliken SLK60P6L Black, 16 x Enecsys SMI-S240W-60-UK Micro inverters, FIT meter: Elster A100C. Shading from Chimney!
Brian Drury

« Reply #215 on: February 25, 2020, 05:37:44 PM »

Sadly an open fuse is a symptom not the cause. I have been involved in fixing about 20 of these inverters and the -60 has proven to be the most repairable but its not for the faint hearted.
I think pdf attachments are allowed on here so I shall try posting the schematic to give you some idea.

Hmmm, that failed, the file is too large.

Maybe a link will work:
https://1drv.ms/b/s!AtcxErupGaCfgd0r9QZ1enc2E-IUDA?e=noZwBd
Nick57

« Reply #216 on: February 26, 2020, 09:37:50 AM »

Hi Brian,
Many thanks, so basically it is the inverters and not the solar panels?
I was afraid the storms we had blew of our barge-boards and damaged those 2 panels?

Attached the Unigate screen-shot.

Nick

* 2020-02-26 09_39_20-UnitGate - Version 1.3.png (96.19 KB, 1153x588 - viewed 183 times.)

Brian Drury

« Reply #217 on: February 26, 2020, 12:51:40 PM »

Yes, the evidence strongly suggests you have two faulty inverters and both are likely to have problems with the H bridge plus the associated drivers. Repair is possible but accessibility is an important consideration.

Now you need to consider your options. You mentioned scaffolding which suggests you have a house rather than a bungalow. This is likely to cost in excess of 500 just for scaffolding so its worth exploring other possibilities.

Do you have anywhere you could ground mount a couple of panels? Maybe a flat roof with a bit of space? The FIT regs allow like-for-like replacement so this approach would be permitted.
Nick57

« Reply #218 on: February 26, 2020, 01:46:55 PM »

Hi Brian,
if it is indeed the inverters, then yes we need to think about our options, as we had once an installer who suggested to have all inverters under the roof but we where not fond of 16 possible leakages instead of 4... now it seems it would have been a good idea to have them at easy access :-)  We have had already 2 replaced.... Would it be possible to add different make inverters like the Enphase M250-60 in the group? Just a thought :-)
Nick

* 2020-02-26 13_54_23-UnitGate - Version 1.3.png (97.28 KB, 1153x588 - viewed 167 times.)

Brian Drury

« Reply #219 on: February 26, 2020, 04:45:44 PM »

The idea to extend the PV connections and house the inverters inside the loft is something others have considered but I dont know if any testing has been done. Obviously if the cables dont need extending the idea will be OK electrically but my concern would be if the loft space becomes particular hot in summer especially as that is precisely when the energy levels are higher and the inverters need to lose excess heat.

One guy I know was talking about moving the inverters to ground level but I dont think he actually did it.

You mentioned two previous failures do you still have the units?

Micro inverters operate in isolation so mixing them is fine in terms of operation but monitoring then becomes much more difficult and messy.
Incidentally, I am simply a PV user with a bunch of these inverters on my roof. My background is electronics design but I am retired now and only mess with this stuff for fun.
Nick57

« Reply #220 on: February 26, 2020, 05:17:39 PM »

Hi Brian,
The heat was one my problem as well next to the extra holes in the roof, I personally believe under the roof is not such a good idea, but at situations like this it would avoid extra cost.
We are retired as well and we spend a huge amount of money on this solar system and the installation company made it a very terrible experience, after all those years there is no way I can convince my misses to let her believe it will be fine with any other installer... So if it is only 2 inverters I think we need to wait and hope no more are going until we have our investment back.... If enphase then still exists I might have more trust in those inverters. Could always consider to do only the back with enphase and leave the front of the house with Enecsys untill all inverters have given up to function. again thanks very much for your time and help, I really appreciate it. Whilst typing this, I had a thought, would it help to turn of the power to the inverters tonight so it might reset them and let those 2 come back or would it possible be a bad idea and might give more issues?
Nick

P.S. no those old inverters went back to Enecsys.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 05:19:29 PM by Nick57 » Logged

Brian Drury

« Reply #221 on: February 26, 2020, 07:25:09 PM »

Enecsys inverter do not suffer mains power cycling very well. A friend advised that if you switch off the mains for a few seconds when the panels are illuminated the inverter is likely to die with a bit of a bang. I considered this to be ridiculous so conducted a bench test with an open 250W -60 inverter running at about 200W. Switched off the mains supply, waited about 10 seconds, switched back on and was amazed so see a flash and a bang and multiple components including the fuse were destroyed.

Fortunately I can repair these things but the experience told me that the best strategy is always leave the mains switched on. However, if I really need to switch one of my operational units off during daylight I always cover the associated panel with a large piece of cardboard first.
Nick57

« Reply #222 on: February 26, 2020, 08:18:58 PM »

Hi Brian,

Does that mean if we have a power outage at daytime with the sun burning on the panels some inverters can blow with a bang?
Nick

Brian Drury

« Reply #223 on: February 26, 2020, 08:57:33 PM »

Well according to my friend yes. My test was something I chose not to repeat but the experience has made me very cautious about powering off. Fortunately we very rarely see power cuts here so the chances of one occurring in strong sunlight are rare but I have personally experienced about 5 failed units over the last 5 years although I have never been able to identify the cause.  I have a mix of -60s -72 and duos and have seen failures in each. This is a -72

* -72.jpg (98.55 KB, 900x675 - viewed 132 times.)
Nick57

« Reply #224 on: February 26, 2020, 10:31:43 PM »

OMG,

That's no good at all, well we had several power dips, some very short ones as well.
Nick

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 [15]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: