navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2017 Off-grid  (Read 2752 times)
heatherhopper

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2019, 02:10:19 PM »

Yes indeed Paul - the numbers don't lie. Having said that - they can be manipulated to say whatever you like and in today's data naive world usually are.

This data thing certainly is a bit anal but it's all I have to play with. Adding generation capacity doesn't add up economically (although some form of hydro is still an ambition if I ever have the funds). So it is down to fiddling about.

Data collection of power with AC coupling is relatively straightforward and I intend to further split out some of the consumption circuits (notably house diversions) for individual recording. I may add some DC side recording but I'm not sure this will add significantly to the picture.

Interesting that you successfuly used your own weather data for the new house. I have heating demand calcs from three different independent sources. All similar and all, I suspect, wrong. Not necessarily a criticism of the authors as the procedures were correct and I was happy with the results. However only the building fabric specs (as seen) were actually site specific. Boiler incentive has nearly run it's course so I intend to revisit this subject myself in the future, without prejudice. I plan to add a heat meter into the system this year since how and when we store and subsequently distribute the heating is the part I have less of a handle on. Our heating costs are not high but it would be nice to further reduce our reliance on burning stuff and open up options for the future. Full electric will always be beyond our reach though. Improving the building efficiency is a non-starter practically and financially (we have and continue to do the easy bits) so shovelling more of the already available excess into heat, in the right way, is the best I can do.

Plenty of excess sent to atmosphere in the last week sadly. It is quite difficult to use 90+ kWh in a day.

Off grid AC coupled, 6kW Proven, 2.8kW PV, SMA SI/SB/WB Inverters, 4x576ah Rolls batteries @ 24v, 25kW Biomass Boiler, Wood Stoves, Spring/Well water. Sorry planet - I did try.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: