navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Inner geek fulfilled! Visit to the Waterloo EV Bus depot  (Read 416 times)
dan_b

« on: April 03, 2019, 04:39:45 PM »

So today my work took me to the Waterloo Electric Bus Depot - which was (might still be) Europe's largest fully EV bus depot.  I got a tour and got to sniff around all the buses, have a peek at the smart charging system they have there and also see (literally) underneath the bus to peer at the drivetrain.  Was stupidly exciting!

Apparently now fully half of London's single-decker bus fleet is full EV with plans well under way to replace the rest asap - the double decker fleet is now starting to be overhauled with BEVs too - there are a small number of full BEV double deckers in service so far with more to follow - that's distinct from the hybrid Routemasters...

I'll post up some photos shortly, but it was interesting to learn that the single deck buses have proven to have much higher range than they were expecting (over 200 miles, and most of the buses run a lot lower than that per day, between 80-120miles), require significantly less servicing than their diesel equivalents, and very popular with the drivers too for their smooth and quiet operation.

Their charging system enables the charging rate to be varied depending upon how quickly the bus needs to return to service, how many other buses are being charged at the same time, and also upon the state of charge. Oddly, the charging hookup used 2x cables per bus, and Type 2 AC plugs/sockets. Interestingly, the battery packs use LiFePo chemistry...

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery
dan_b

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 05:02:25 PM »

A few photos...

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery
Philip R

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 05:51:54 PM »

Hi Danb
You must tell us some more about these bus batteries with Polonium inside them.
How on earth did transport for London get them passed as safe, being so toxic and radioactive?

Did you mean LiFePO4 (cant do the 4 in subscript).Phosphorous not Polonium.

Did you manage to peek at their power supply. The charging indicator indicated that it might be line voltage derived straight off the e mains with the charging power unit inside the bus?

Philip R
Philip R

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 05:54:12 PM »

Why I questioned the power supply. Gives us a clue how an electric charging forcourt might be sized/ rated electrically. ie if any diversity was sized into it.
Philip R
Greenbeast

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 02:05:21 PM »

It warms the heart!
RIT

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 12:07:10 AM »

Why I questioned the power supply. Gives us a clue how an electric charging forcourt might be sized/ rated electrically. ie if any diversity was sized into it.
Philip R

I doubt there was much of an issue when sizing the electricity supply. Within a few yards is Waterloo station with 24 platforms and the power consumption of a single train is eye-watering as it pulls out. I can't find any reliable figures for moving off, instead, the reported average consumption of SWT's 12 coach units is between 35 and 59KWh per mile. 

https://cdn.networkrail.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Traction-Electricity-Modelled-Consumption-Rates-List.xls 

In terms of what the Bus depo is rated for, this article reports 2.5 MW and gives a lot of configuration details

http://www.transportengineer.org.uk/transport-engineer-features/londons-low-carbon-electric-bus-garage/173547

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: