navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: reducing power to immersion heater with phase angle controller  (Read 2859 times)
Philip R

South Cheshire

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2020, 02:33:04 PM »

Pulling half wave dc will increase the harmonics in your home. you might even get your radios to hum. It will increase magnetising current on the distribution transformer too, increasing system losses. So please do not do it. It is in breach of conditions within the dno distribution codes, hidden under zero and negative sequence currents for embedded generators. If everyone did it, the neutral connection to the local transformer would burn out!

kdmnx. I do not think such a device would pass any certification in a civilised country with standards.

BTW it was used years ago in old valve TV sets to provide dc supplies. Electricity boards eventually got TV manufacturers to use full wave rectification instead.
Philip R
Scruff
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2020, 08:18:51 PM »

Phase angle controllers are cheap and nasty transient generators and pf destroyers. Having one live all day every day in your home is going to reduce the useful lifespan of every appliance and device in the household. It rattles MOVs, FETs and diodes until they just give up and let the assailants in the gates. Anyone recommending them ought to accompany the recommendation with a o-scope photo of the household phase. PWM versus phase angle is as valid as modified square wave versus sine wave.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 08:23:46 PM by Scruff » Logged
snedz

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2020, 11:11:56 PM »

Thanks Scruff. I believe it is a bit of a harmonic monster given that it makes the filter that's designed to be used with it buzz quite a lot. Live and learn.
Scruff
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2020, 11:17:48 PM »

If I get really bored I'll show you what it does to the phase with a scope. I was running one thuther day and a lesser inverter woulda let the smoke out.
There's no economy to it. Every LED lamp, Blueray player, blender, microwave, fridge etc will die before it's time and you'll never know why.  Hence my wrath for all these immersun wannabes.
I could run one in my house and go over to the neighbours and pick up the transients.

It's like having a mooring with a mate who doesn't believe in galvanic corrosion and is scavenging their neighbours' and your anodes.
greentangerine

Osmington, Dorset

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2020, 10:55:37 AM »

Slightly off the topic but related I guess.

My original Mk1 Immersun would cause my SB2500 to trip out once diversion went above something like 1400W.  The LED light in the immersion isolation switch would flicker if the Immersun was diverting.

After much discussion with their tech support, they produced a new firmware which allowed the diversion threshold to be set (1200W was OK, better than none) and a promise to replace it with the Mk2 once that was available; the light still flickered though.

Got the Mk2 FOC about 9 months later and it has been working faultlessly since (and no flicker on the isolation switch)  - I guess they changed how they generated the power to the load in the second model.

2.940 kWP (Sharp ND210/Solis 4G 2.5)
2.115 kWP (Kinve KV235-60P/SB1600)
2.000 kWP (Sharp ND250/SB1600)
65 x 58mm SunnPro/Torrent T280 RE OV/SunSpeed2 205
11kW Dean Forge Croft Clearburn 10,000 BTU
SoFar ME3000SP /Pylon US2000 19.2kW
myenergi eddi
snedz

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2020, 07:20:19 PM »

Hi All,

Am thinking of biting the bullet and getting a commercial solar diverter. Does anyone know whether the Solic 200 would give me the same issues as the triac I was trying? (reducing the power of my micro inverters). I emailed the manufacturers and they said they hadn't heard of any related problems but didn't say any more than that.
The Eddi looks good as it has the Verisine technology, but is beyond what i can justify expenditure on.

cheers

nowty

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2020, 08:27:00 PM »

I think only the Immersun and the Eddi which both use the same technology (Variable AC voltage) are free of the flicker issues. They are unfortunately reassuringly expensive.

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

12kW+ of PV installed and 65+ MWh's generated.
Useable home battery storage of 50+ kWh's.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh's.
Storage heaters of 15+ kWh's.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
6kW+ Ground source heatpump.
310,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: