navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A most unusual request.  (Read 1952 times)
Ivan
« on: August 13, 2006, 12:49:47 AM »

I had a call a few weeks ago from a guy wanting a turbine suitable for use in 300mph winds. I thought he was winding me up, and I told him that there are no 300mph winds on our planet.

It turned out that he wanted to run a wind turbine in the exhaust of a Jet engine test bed to recover some of the wasted energy. I don't think my suggestion that perhaps just not running the jet engine as often or as long on the testbed might be a more environmentally-friendly solution!

Anyone know of any suitable turbines?!

Ivan
Ian
installers

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 08:32:52 AM »

I think your comment that there are no 300 mph winds on the planet indicates that there will be nothing "off the shelf" available (not much of a market) !

However, as you asked in good faith...

I believe most (commercial) jet engines have a combined starter / power plant built into the hub (rotor). These are jet engines and therefore used to handling high energy airflows and adverse climatic conditions (heat / cold / chenically active materials).

So you could simply slot another jet engine directly behind the one on the test bed and drive it as a turbine rather than an engine. I don't think it makes much sense to do so - but you could!

Another approach would be to directly couple the high pressure fan at the back of the "test bed" turbine (or even better to the front of the compression or low pressure fan) to a high speed generator. High speed generators are available as these are used to connect to steam and stationary gas turbines already.

I am sure that any coupling of the test bed unit to an energy retrieval device will influence the test device enough so as to invalidate the test.

A great intellectual or theoretical exercise but also one guaranteed to induce much head shaking too.

Regards,
Ian
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: