navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fan motor issues  (Read 375 times)
Greenbeast

« on: May 02, 2019, 02:33:04 PM »

I have a large refrigeration unit on the new meat cutting room. It has a faulty condenser fan.
The fan runs when hooked up to a couple of car batteries (24V) but will not run when installed.
The unit will run another identical fan however.
I'm lead to believe the microprocessor on the unit load tests the fan motor and drops the voltage if too high. Obviously the car battery test does not suffer from this issue.

What could be the problem and the possible solution?
I'm looking at a replacement cost of 100 (bare motor) or 200 (entire assembly if i don't succeed in getting it apart)

Thanks
ecogeorge

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 10:56:45 PM »

Is there a rectifier in the system ? often see transformers tripping out on thermal trips because a rectifier has failed - temp solution is a car battery (12v systems).
just my 2p .
_just a thought large system -24v dc fan -unusual ??
George.
Greenbeast

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 08:24:41 AM »

I don't know if there is one on the microprocessor board, but that board is running a donor fan now.

It's on a 27' truck body  Smiley
knighty

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 11:43:11 AM »

you could wire in a relay/contactor to turn the fan on whenever the compressor runs?

check the battery voltage when the compressor is running - does the unit have a diesel engine? - 24v power comes from the alternator, it could be iffy?

EDIT: are you sure it's 24v ?

my last one was 12v - 27ft tuck body too so deffo came from a 24v truck
Greenbeast

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 12:27:47 PM »

No battery, no engine, mains fed. I did wonder about a relay but I think it might throw an error code if it doesn't serve the fan running. Never mind I can replace the motor, just always looking to save money.

The larger lorry units (Carrier Vector for example) with their own engine do run 12V but this is off a moderate size (Carrier Xarios) that would draw from a 24V vehicle battery
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 02:44:16 PM by Greenbeast » Logged
Greenbeast

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 06:50:08 AM »

Ok, i found a reconditioned and tested motor on ebay for 55 so i've gone for it. We shall see....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: