navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Imaging a black hole  (Read 1993 times)
dan_b

« on: April 11, 2019, 11:10:39 AM »

I was absolutely blown away by the press conference/ images of the suppermassive black hole that was revealed yesterday.
Just think about it - it's 53 million light years away, it's at the centre of another galaxy, the black hole itself is the size of our entire solar system, and it's a black hole - something that you can't actually directly see.
It was observed simultaneously by 8 different telescope sites around the planet, including one near the South Pole.
They had to have the good luck of clear weather at all 8 sites simultaneously for it to work at all.
The observation period generated 8 petabytes of raw data - that's 8 million gigabytes - can't even begin to work out how you'd process so much data.
And the images are pretty much what the simulations, the predictions by general relativity, predicted. I find that just amazing.

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery
dan_b

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 11:30:24 AM »

Worth a watch

youtu.be/S_GVbuddri8

4kW PowerVault Battery
nowty

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 12:25:23 PM »

The other half could not understand how far away it was so I wrote it down in numbers,

500 million trillion km away, so that is 500,000,000,000,000,000,000 km away.

and with a diameter of 40 billion km across, so that is 40,000,000,000 km across.

At least I think I have the numbers right and have assumed its not a USA billion.

11kW+ of PV installed and 54+ MWh generated.
Lithium battery storage of 50+ kWh.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh.
Heat storage of 15+ kWh.
6kW Ground source heatpump.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
250,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
Home grown Fruit and Veg.
dan_b

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 12:30:24 PM »

The numbers are so big it's all just incomprehensible really how far away this actually is.

4kW PowerVault Battery
pj

Nom de Plume

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 12:51:23 PM »

The other half could not understand how far away it was so I wrote it down in numbers,

and with a diameter of 40 billion km across, so that is 40,000,000,000 km across.

At least I think I have the numbers right and have assumed its not a USA billion.
So what's that in real numbers like the number of football pitches laid end to end?  Smiley
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 01:20:15 PM »

Yes,
   It is hard to comprehend and get an actually real idea of the size of it all.
   Many years ago when I opted out of college and my old man gave me a job shoveling gravel on a beach,
  In my own maudling way, i compared my own self to a grain of sand on the beach,  One beach of 100s of thousands around the world,
   Some shifting and disappearing and other giving birth , all at the beck and call of the moon and tides. Which we could never control.
  I believed back then that is was all about dimensions and timing. There was the class timetable. The bus timetable. The timing on the engines which was crucial for smooth running.
  I had a hell if a time getting my head around timing. Fly fishing was my passion, again the timing was crucial. You had to tease the right amount before you made that crucial pass.
 Dimensions were different. parallel universes and time warps were weird thinking indeed. It was rough stuff and hard to believe. I never had a problem disbelieving anything to do with religion,
 It was years later that I leaned that a lot of stuff we adopt is actually in our DNA. Teaching and conditioning help but if you are born a doubting Thomas, you will stay a doubting Thomas.
  We cannot do a lot about Black Holes and we are not gong to head up there and start digging trenches and putting in cables around them anytime soon. It is nice to know where they are so
 that we can make detours well clear of them and not get caught with dirty diesel problem and a bad starter near them..
  A much more beneficial tour of learning would be to get to the bottom of our own DNA code and somehow steer a path between corrective engineering and not playing God. We have it all at out fingertips
 but we are terrified of what we might do to each other with the knowledge. The world could be a much better place if we could agree to trust one another.
  We do not need to head off into space, Spend billions on the moon and Mars..We could make this a beautiful planet like it should be. Like it used to be before we messed it up.
   Many years ago, I had this friend who lived in an old remote farm house. The family knew the place that well that they hardly ever used lights at night. they would walk about in the dark. Outside and inside. This evening I called to visit and my friend came out for a dander and a chat. He knew the name of all the stars and was big into that kind of thing. He was an excellent mechanic who started off fixing Grandfather clocks. It was a hard clear frosty winter,s night as we made our way to the third house where Dolly Parton,s biggest fan was piling lumps of ash onto a large open fire.
  My friend stopped and looked up at the sky, Look he said..You can see far more that you used to he said.  Do you not think so he asked,? I was getting worried. This was 1979 and people walking around looking up at the sky in the dark were classed as a kind of "Not well". But he went on to explain that because of all the light in the cities and the motorways it was having the effect that the skies were getting lighter. So we argues about that and as the 5 of us sat round the fire, We concluded that my good friend had finally blotted his copy book by saying such a thing. How could he say such a thing.
He was not as bad as the Canadian air pilot who sat at the same fireside the previous winter to regale us of stories of supersonic flights. He just happened to let it slip that he had seen the sun rise twice in the one 24 hours. There was a silence. He was living in Canada for many years and definitely had something to do with the airforce but two sunrises in 24 hours ,well. anything could happen. Who would want two sunrises in 24 hours.. As it turned out both my good friend and the Canadian airforce pilot were correct. He was indeed a test pilot and the planet is getting brighter. Both my good friend and Dolly Parton,s biggest fan are dead and gone.
  We need to steer a course that benefits Mankind and establish a central governing body that will control the DNA engineering. Wheither we like it or not, the DNA will be engineered and it is better to do it in an open and transparent manner for the benefit of mankind and not for those who seek to control us. We have to limit the number of children we can have and increase the drive towards education and jobs prospects. At present we have a yellow headed beastie who slaps sanctions on poor countries. The sanctions prevent the same countries from buying medicine or trying to make the lives of their people more modern and update. Blackmail through medicine and food will never increase our ability to live together in harmony or even trust one another never mind the DNA engineering.
  We have to change,,Black holes are interesting but we do not have to go that far to find far more interesting subjects. We have them right here on our doorstep.
                                    Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
nowty

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 02:25:18 PM »

So what's that in real numbers like the number of football pitches laid end to end?  Smiley

If the football pitch is 100m long, then only 1 more zero to add.

11kW+ of PV installed and 54+ MWh generated.
Lithium battery storage of 50+ kWh.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh.
Heat storage of 15+ kWh.
6kW Ground source heatpump.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
250,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
Home grown Fruit and Veg.
dan_b

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 02:46:48 PM »

Exactly, so 5 thousand million trillion football pitches.

4kW PowerVault Battery
Pat_

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 03:30:25 PM »

Actually Britain aligned itself to the US system many years ago (it was the chancellor of the exchequer at the time who took it upon himself to decide this). So I think you have the numbers right. And it is using the US definitions.
sam_cat

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 03:48:41 PM »

500,000,000,000,000,000,000 km is 5,468,066,491,688,539,000,000 football pitches.
or about 0.05289 gigalight years

pj

Nom de Plume

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 07:45:37 PM »

And of course to cover those aren't too sure what a football pitch is, what would that be in London Buses, the other universal measure of distance?
dan_b

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2019, 07:56:02 PM »

4kW PowerVault Battery
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: