navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: where to find electric car batteries?  (Read 2138 times)
knighty

« on: April 12, 2019, 04:18:18 PM »

I'd really (really) like electric vans at work, new is too expensive, but I can make the fuel savings work well with used vans

but... non of the big vans (which I need) have decent range - reported 70miles real world, probably less for me because I carry decent weight   (flower delivery vans etc. getting 70 miles)

with electric transit vans (high top, long wheel base) the batteries/motor/controller/charger is all under the bonnet, so there's loads of room underneath for more batteries (loads and loads)

but... I keep looking at can;t find any batteries for sale at a decent price (less than thousands), it seams like there's people all over the world using old car battery packs for off grid use etc. but I've no idea where they get them?

I'm not greedy expecting them for nothing, only ones I can find so far are crashed hybrid cars

I'll need to match battery chemistry if I want to use the existing battery (if it's any good) but depending which year van I bought it could be LiFePO4 or LiIon (just to make it a bit more tricky, I can't start stocking up on cells early)

any ideas anyone?
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 08:59:02 PM »

I wish I knew Knighty,
                          There was some guy in Norway selling used E car batts some years ago. I believe he was dealing in them and sending them to the UK when nobody here could source them.
  Over 10 years ago, I was trying to source Forklift cells. I needed 60 cells. I was lucky to buy 2 packs from a broken down forklift. One pack was OK but the other was a dud.  I then bought two forklifts. Both were running fine. but no brakes and the lifting gear was faulty. One was 72 volt and the other 48v. I just connected the 48 pack on the tynes to the pack in the 72v forklift and they worked like that for over 2 years before i built a proper place.
         My info is over 2 years out of date. Things would be much better now.
  You could advertise in a farming Magazine or free adds.   Wanted E Van,.    You could put solar pv on the transit roof and a small diesel engine underneath. I am not trying to encourage you to use fossil fuel but it would give you confidence to have a standby charger on board, Even a gas driven Petrol jobbie. These are very quiet and efficient.
       It Just an idea,
                      Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
brackwell

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 07:48:25 AM »

I suggest you go here https://www.speakev.com/

There are people there that build/repair EVs.

I have seen adverts from scrappers even 2 Teslas at one local to me.  I can imagine that scrappers do not want to take batts out of cars for safety. I have heard that the emergency services will not touch a EV until the experts pronounce safe!
Scruff

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 12:57:52 PM »

Due to the current trend in used EV battery demand I've noticed the market value of a used EV battery exceeds the price of a new 100% rated alternative.

They cost thousands because they're valued at thousands.

Scruff

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 01:00:30 PM »

Link
knighty

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 11:55:45 PM »

Due to the current trend in used EV battery demand I've noticed the market value of a used EV battery exceeds the price of a new 100% rated alternative.
They cost thousands because they're valued at thousands.

I'd assumed, after seeing people experiment with them and use them at home they wouldn't be so expensive and I was just looking in the wrong place

I've read a lot of conflicting info... but an electric transit van is supposed to come with a 75kwh battery... I'd need to at least double that

looks like the plan is a no-go then :-(

this is the recent van I saw which make me think about it again...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173867794745
Scruff

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 07:48:57 AM »

EV fridge van?!?
 horror
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 08:39:12 AM »

Hi Knighty
              The price is nice but it would take a heck of a lot of laptop batteries to drive it.
        Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
knighty

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 10:03:10 AM »

EV fridge van?!?
 horror

I need fridge vans!... to delivery frozen dog food... we load up with stuff frozen to -30'C... the van freezers at to -18'C hardly run, the insulation does all the work keeping it frozen
knighty

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 10:03:43 AM »

Hi Knighty
              The price is nice but it would take a heck of a lot of laptop batteries to drive it.
        Biff

I thought about those, I've messed around with them before.... would need about 10,000 of them tho :-o
nowty

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 11:05:54 AM »

My benchmark cost for a new battery is the Pylontech's 2.4kWh which can be had for around 800 so that's 333 per kWh. That's a new battery that can be used independently with any system and has full BMS, i.e. short circuit protection, under voltage, over voltage, over temp and cell balancing.

A new Growatt battery is at least that price, has BMS, but cannot be used on any system other than a Growatt, hence why I rip out the cells and use without BMS but with careful monitoring and charge no more than 80% or so.

I have bought second hand 4.8kWh Growatt batteries for as low as 400 and as high as 700, so that's a price of between 83 and 145 per kWh. As I am not fully utilising the full size of them, arguably my cost per kWh is a little more, but then I might be gaining a longer life. Also I don't know how old they are and how much capacity has already been lost. Or even if they are completely faulty in some way. Luckily for me all have worked including one which had extremely low cell voltages, probably only SOC of 1% but it still accepted about 5.5KWh's back to full charge so they seem to be very resilient.

So for me, for a second hand cell, I would not pay more than 50% of the cost of an equivalent Pylontech, i.e. say 165 per kWh. Interestingly, the scrapped 24kWh Nissan Leaf battery Scruff linked to is 160 per kWh so almost in line with my own personal view.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 11:16:42 AM by nowty » Logged

11kW+ of PV installed and 56+ MWh generated.
Lithium battery storage of 50+ kWh.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh.
Heat storage of 15+ kWh.
6kW Ground source heatpump.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
260,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
Home grown Fruit and Veg.
Scruff

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 12:50:09 PM »

Pylontech is limited to 90% SOC, only works with canbus and is warrantied to 60% not the standard 80%
Derate the leaf battery 30% whydya think its for sale? Then reapply cost per kWh formula
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 12:55:56 PM by Scruff » Logged
nowty

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 01:39:13 PM »

Pylontech is limited to 90% SOC, only works with canbus and is warrantied to 60% not the standard 80%
Derate the leaf battery 30% whydya think its for sale? Then reapply cost per kWh formula

Pylontech works with anything if you run them as an independent battery looking after itself. I run them with my Sunny Island in parallel with the Growatts, when the voltage gets too high for them they just go into standby until the voltage drops back into their working range.

Heat storage of 15+ kWh.
Scruff

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 05:57:38 PM »

Are you telling me that pylontech works without the RJ45 connection?!

I almost bought one but fell out with it over that
nowty

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2019, 06:45:01 PM »

Are you telling me that pylontech works without the RJ45 connection?!

I almost bought one but fell out with it over that

Yes it does, and you can still link 8 together so its all under one master control.

I just took this picture now and the top left battery is the master running without any RJ45 connection to my Sunny Island.

Heat storage of 15+ kWh.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: