navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Proven 6kw Turbine / SMA Windy boy Inverter Advice sought...  (Read 5755 times)
jonsamcor

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2019, 04:52:21 PM »

Yes that's what appears to be happening.....
GSHP is linked to stats in the house the problem giving one heats the water and I think the upstairs underfloor so when a zone drops below or water needed on it comes (I think) it should be programmed to do most of the heavy work heating in the economy 7 hours but that programming could be shot to hell after the last meltdown

Hard to say as dependant on water usage and outside weather but it probably comes on a couple of times per hour

Rural Co. Down, Proven 6kw Turbine, GSHP, Thermomax Tubes....and Total lack of technical or useful knowledge
jonsamcor

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2019, 06:07:05 PM »

More if it’s cold .....

Rural Co. Down, Proven 6kw Turbine, GSHP, Thermomax Tubes....and Total lack of technical or useful knowledge
jonsamcor

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2019, 06:10:46 PM »

I will take a better one at the turbine base
Today normal to low wind 13kw/h...... probably because the girls are away therefore no hot water demand, and it has got way warmer so less need for the pump to come on and consequently the inverter to cut out ?
Well that’s my theory ......

Countrypaul

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2019, 06:59:45 PM »

If the girls are away could you not turn the HP off completely for a while and see if the WT functions as you think it should?  At least that would give a much more positive indication of whether the problem really is caused by the HP.

donegal

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2019, 07:29:02 PM »

Jons,

As you haven't mentioned it, i have to ask.  Do you have a buffer tank installed between the GSHP and UFH ?,

I would expect my Heatpump to start 2-3 times per night (at most) rather than per hour. 

GSHP is linked to stats in the house the problem giving one heats the water and I think the upstairs underfloor so when a zone drops below or water needed on it comes (I think) it should be programmed to do most of the heavy work heating in the economy 7 hours but that programming could be shot to hell after the last meltdown

Hard to say as dependant on water usage and outside weather but it probably comes on a couple of times per hour

heatherhopper

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2019, 08:28:25 PM »

One of my GSHP burned out its soft starter (again....) the engineer patched it up as a temporary fix until I decide what to do (its being ripped out) so the main unit has no soft start and when the house calls for heat/hot water causing the pump to come on there is a big load required - the lights in the house flicker etc …. this in turn causes the "disturbance" message on the inverter which stops working and generation from the turbine stops and causes the constant humming on the control panel ….

Does this sound plausible ? 

Yes - as per Ted above. Note though that the inverter message should pinpoint the precise AC side "disturbance" that is bothering it - voltage is not the only possibility. Are you not able to cycle the display to give you the full error message?

The humming from the wind interface (control panel as you call it) is quite normal if it is a standard Proven unit (looks like it) when the inverter disconnects. The Turbine will continue to run quite happily, but maybe a bit noisily, unloaded but….. these interfaces are not very sophisticated as standard and although generally adequate for a Grid-tie situation (where there is seldom an inverter AC disconnect) they do not really provide over-voltage protection for the inverter (SMA in particular). This could be potentially fatal for your inverter. Since you have not mentioned any "DC disconnect" shutdown issues I guess your turbine is not producing at peak and/or perhaps is just fluctuating smoothly. It would still be prudent to eliminate the AC side "Disturbance" at the earliest.

Off grid AC coupled, 6kW Proven, 2.8kW PV, SMA SI/SB/WB Inverters, 4x576ah Rolls batteries @ 24v, 25kW Biomass Boiler, Wood Stoves, Spring/Well water. Sorry planet - I did try.
jonsamcor

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2019, 10:12:08 PM »

Jons,

As you haven't mentioned it, i have to ask.  Do you have a buffer tank installed between the GSHP and UFH ?,

I would expect my Heatpump to start 2-3 times per night (at most) rather than per hour. 

jonsamcor

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2019, 10:15:32 PM »

Sorry can’t “quote “ yet ... too many birthdays.....
I (think) I have loads of buffer tanks...

jonsamcor

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2019, 10:16:57 PM »

jonsamcor

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2019, 10:21:30 PM »

Oops they are rubbish pictures,  but there are wee cylinders, (look like small lpg ones like you use on a gas bbq is that right?)  above both gshp units and again above the hw storage tanks ....

jonsamcor

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2019, 10:24:14 PM »

And hey Donegal ....someone on the same landmass!

rogeriko

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2019, 10:30:21 PM »

Those aren't buffer tanks just expansion cylinders.

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2019, 07:17:05 AM »

Lets hope Camillitech is OK.
    It has been 7 days since he posted  on his online blog. He has been exceptionally busy and I sincerely hope that he has not overdone it. None of us are as young as we used to be.
         Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
jonsamcor

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2019, 07:43:00 AM »

What does a buffer tank look like ?

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2019, 08:53:33 AM »

Hi Jon.
       A buffer tank is a reserve tank or a storage tank for warm water to be used as backup. Most renewable energy set-ups call them thermal Stores. I am sure that my definition could spark debate. But debate is good. Years ago some plumbers referee to expansion vessels  as buffer tanks but that was not correct either.
 Thermal stores are normally  very heavily  insulated.
              Biff
  There are some very posh modern S/S thermal stores on the market at present. These can do all kinds of complicated moves. Well worth reading up on. In fact modern thermal stores are an absolute necessity to be able to take full advantage of our renewable energy harvesting efforts.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 09:01:31 AM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: