navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buffer tank connection query  (Read 225 times)
chris wills

« on: April 24, 2019, 12:07:27 PM »

I have a buffer tank connected to my ASHP and was just wondering if its connected the corrected way, looking at it on the weekend I have doubts now?
The Outlet on the ASHP is connected to the inlet (lower connection) on the buffer
The return to the ASHP (inlet on pump) is connected to the upper connection on the buffer.

Then from the buffer to the UFH, it goes from the top via a pump and returns to the lower

« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 12:10:20 PM by chris wills » Logged
Countrypaul

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 04:29:39 PM »

The way you describe it certainly doesn't sound right to me. If the "hot" water from the ASHP is entering the buffer at the bottom it is likely to mix with what is already in there resulting in luke warm water and the whole buffer heating up very slowly (especially if the UFH is taking water out). If the "Hot" water was entering at the top it would allow a certain amount of stratification resulting in hotter water at the top of the buffer and cooler water at the bottom.  Is there a make/model on the buffer tank, as the manufacturers site may well have installation diagrams/instructions which might clarify this to you for certain.
Philip R

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 07:21:58 PM »

Buffer tanks are like low loss headers. Hot in and out at the top and cold out and in at the bottom.
Philip R
chris wills

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 10:41:34 AM »

It's what I was thinking to be honest, it didn't make much sense to me the way they were fitted. So this is how it should be:

ASHP OUTLET to TOP OF BUFFER TANK?
ASHP INLET to BOTTOM OF BUFFER TANK?

Thanks guys for the sanity check
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: