navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: solar thermal how to connect to system  (Read 292 times)
clifden

« on: April 24, 2019, 11:38:25 AM »

Morning .
recently installed a three heat source system connecting to a thermal store .
a wood burner with back boiler . - no control as such just stove is lit or stove isn't
Oil fired boiler - thermostat on thermal store to call for the boiler to fire if the temperature of the store goes below a set point .

solar thermal panel 30 vac tubes .  I had an electrician install the controller  circulation pump . my understanding is there is a probe in the thermal panel which controls  the water flowing to the heat exchanger . so in my terms if the panel reaches a certain heat the probe sends a signal to the controller which activates the pump that circulates water via the coil in the thermal store which heats up the water in the thermal store and removes the heat from the panel .
the electrician wants to fit a thermostat to the thermal store to control the circulation pump .
I have talked it over with him a few times but he is adamant that the thermal store requires this thermostat.
does anyone have a diagram of the advised method of setting up a thermal panel with the associated heat exchanger /circulation pump .
or can point me in the right direction.
regards 
andrewellis

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 11:57:51 AM »

You would certainly need one in the thermal store to turn off the pump if the store is too hot.  Maybe that is what he is referring to.  If you used the thermal store to to determine when to run the pump to the panels you would end up sending all the heat into your local county if it was colder outside than the store

6.48kw Solar PV JA (300W)Panels, SolarEdge inverter
Borehole -> Nibe F1255 12kw GSHP -> Radiators
Nissan Leaf
rogeriko

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 08:32:18 PM »

Solar Thermal controllers are differential controllers so they need a thermostat in the store to turn on the pump when the panels are hotter than the store, and to turn off the pump when the panels are the same or less than the store.

ecogeorge

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 08:37:59 PM »

Try googling something like -thermal store pipe schematics-to get an idea of system layouts.

Good link here -http://www.microgeneration.com/cms/data/files/documents/system%20schematics/thermal%20store%20with%20multiple%20heat%20sources.pdf

No affiliation -mods -pls remove if infringement.
George.
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 10:24:53 AM »

The normal setup would be to have a solar controller with at least 2 inputs for temps, 1 from the solar panel and 1 from the store so I would have expected your system to already have a sensor on the store.  Is this what your electrician means by 'thermostat'?

Navitron sell the Sorel range of solar controllers. These come with two or three inputs for temp sensors, 1 for the panel, 1 or 2 for the thermal store. The controller operates by checking the difference in temp between the panel and the store and turns the pump on/off according to the temps (the actual values can be programmed by the owner).

Manual here - https://sorel.de/en/?ddownload=13460

Volunteer moderator
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: