navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dissertation Research on hybrid solar-wind system  (Read 1019 times)
pdf27

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2019, 12:49:44 PM »

What subject is the dissertation on? The modelling done so far sounds very simplistic compared to what I would have expected.

One thing which would be potentially very interesting for modelling payback is to look at real-life data for historic PV output - this is available to download from https://www.solar.sheffield.ac.uk/pvlive/ and if you have a model for domestic energy use in 15 minute increments you could match these up to see whether energy is likely to be consumed locally or exported. Once you've done that it's straightforward to introduce a model for a battery, Smart Grid Ready heat pump, etc.

In the same way wind power data for the whole of the UK is available to download - quite a few sites have it, I tend to use http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk . More care needs to be taken here to work out capacity factors since unlike PVLive the total installed wind fleet isn't listed in the same data set, but it should be possible. That will then essentially give you a power curve for a notional "national average" wind turbine, which you can then adjust for a domestic one which I suspect will tend to have higher cut in/cut out speeds.

The other thing to watch out for is maintenance costs, cost of capital, etc. - PV is pretty much maintenance free unless an inverter dies, but the same is emphatically not true for wind as you need to keep an eye on bearings, etc. Any financial calculations should really include this too.
heatherhopper

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2019, 02:46:45 PM »

Interesting consumption profile for the UK Matthew. Apparent PV payback will benefit nicely  whistlie

Off grid AC coupled, 6kW Proven, 2.8kW PV, SMA SI/SB/WB Inverters, 4x576ah Rolls batteries @ 24v, 25kW Biomass Boiler, Wood Stoves, Spring/Well water. Sorry planet - I did try.
Matthew101

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2019, 07:06:23 PM »

Hi,

Thanks again for the help, when calculating the demand for the house it is 4500kwh however my output for the renewable energy system 6000kwh should my system be this big or is it okay because it will be sold back to the grid? Should I change the size of my system?
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2019, 08:28:57 AM »

Hello
well , there is a lot to be said about how the units are used in parallel to production , and storage into batteries and  heat  is a add on to  flexibility and  increases  self consumption and independence from the grid 

there has been a study made  at a Berlin University   maybe  that is some help , bad  translation  here

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.volker-quaschning.de%2Fartikel%2F2012-10-solare-unabhaengigkeit%2Findex.php

I can assist for better understanding ,  if you like

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Matthew101

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2019, 09:52:01 PM »

Hi,

When working out the inverter size for wind would it be sized for example a 1kw turbine to a 1kw inverter? or would it be sized to roughly 80% like solar?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: