navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Passive solar collector  (Read 627 times)
breadandbuttertome

« on: May 02, 2019, 04:51:21 PM »

Hi; I have a south-east facing gable end built with 1960's porous bricks. A couple of times a year I get water ingress into the (insulated) cavity. I've checked the verge, the pointing and the window surround mastic and they seem OK. I waterproofed (silicone) the outside which only worked for a year.

Rendering would probably sort it, and I am currently thinking of cladding it (timber is trendy), but it is an opportunity to do something innovative with passive solar collectors (Or even PV, if I could prevent the reflection dazzling the neighbours). It's about 12sq.m., and is in the sun from dawn until 3pm. A few years ago I visited a terraced house refurb showhouse in Sheffield which had a shallow glazed cladding passive collector attached to a 9" solid (no cavity) wall.

Anybody have any thoughts? I'm willing to DIY but will need scaffolding. Will I need Planning Permission?

50 solar HW tubes, 2.16 kw sharp monocrystalline PV/sunny boy, 2kw air-to-air heat pump, 200w semiflexible on the campervan and the ubiquitous Morso Squirrel.
Iain

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 08:12:38 PM »

Hi

.Hi; I have a south-east facing gable end built with 1960's porous bricks. A couple of times a year I get water ingress into the (insulated) cavity. 

Have you thought of External Wall Insulation and render system.
The gable end on my house needed rerendering. In the end I went with EWI with a 3 coat reinforced coating system on top. Fantastic difference.
That would sort out the water ingress, and provide a vast improvement on the insulation.
fixings could be added during installation if you did go down the PV or solar thermal panel route as well.

Iain

1.98kWp PV (11 x Sharp 180 and SB 2.5)
20 x 65mm Thermal and 180ltr unvented
Powervault 4Kw - G200 Lithium-Ion (LiFePO4)
9000ltr rainwater storage   Plymouth
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 09:39:42 PM »

Well ,  if its a cavity insulated brick wall , i guess you hardly need more insulation on those 12 m2  bricks , if its nice terracotta bricks,  i would place a glass panel in a 2-4 inch distance to the wall and   a ventilation idea to pump the hot air into the house ( but that depends on the heating demand  in winter and needs perhaps cooling in summer -reverse flow ?)

But its hard to say  , when not knowing the look of it , sure some types  of timber cladding can uplift the style of the house a lot

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
breadandbuttertome

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 10:47:20 AM »

Thanks for your help; I'm still researching. I have a relative with external insulation but am looking for solar gain from outside if possible (here we are, nearly at the summer solstice and a cheery 10 degrees outside in this bit of Derbyshire}. A non-insulating cladding with stand-off fixings and a fan and ducting controlled by temperature sensors would work, and I could maybe couple it to the ASHP inlet.  It'll have to be vermin proof - I am hosting two Jackdaw families under the solar PV panels, they are quite amusing and keep me in twigs for fire-starting but they litter the place up something shocking.

50 solar HW tubes, 2.16 kw sharp monocrystalline PV/sunny boy, 2kw air-to-air heat pump, 200w semiflexible on the campervan and the ubiquitous Morso Squirrel.
kristen

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 11:24:13 AM »

if its a cavity insulated brick wall , i guess you hardly need more insulation on those 12 m2  bricks

I'm surprised you think that. I have cavity (filled) and brick and I would love to wrap the outside in insulation. Not done the u-value sums (but I know it is sufficiently expensive that I won't be doing it ... yet), but isn't wrapping regarded as an ideal when improving insulation of a building? (compared to insulating the inside of the eternal walls)
Warble

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 03:05:32 PM »

A Trombe wall is not a new idea. Normally it consists of a glass screen in front of a solid wall. I think you would need planning permission for it.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2019, 05:40:19 PM »

I'm surprised you think that
, well Kristen ,  the following up  of my words where to place a glass panel over the brick wall and built a  solar air collector  or maybe go for timber cladding 

12 m2 of  solar air collector can do a lot  for warming up a old house and dry it out too , i would expect the heat  benefit of that , would be greater  than  insulate and render it

Regards Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 06:18:07 AM »

We had a piece of kit called solarventi a solar powered de humidification system. a metal frame with a plastic face a thermostatic computer fan pushing solar warmed air into the house. Imagine a big tv for size. The idea being that the warmed air would displace the damp air inside the house. I can see it working well in cold alpine conditions sun and clear skies, not a success for us in Finisterre. It worked well enough in summer (not needed the door was open much of the time) a complete waste of time in winter damp grey skies and not sunny.  It might work for a shed or boat but the panel would need to be wall sized to be effective on a house if then.

It is the only bit of renewable energy kit we installed that I consider a waste of money.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 10:30:52 AM by todthedog » Logged

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: