navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 48v battery bank with 24v take off point - feasible?  (Read 1659 times)
Joeyboswell

« on: September 28, 2019, 05:13:23 PM »

Greetings!
In a battery bank of four 12V batteries connected in series to make 48V is it possible to connect a 24V device to part of the bank? Say across the middle two batteries? Or is there a better method, I am sure someone has done this already.
Thanks in advance. Mike
Tinbum

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 05:33:51 PM »

No is the short answer. The long answer if you did, and not recommended, is to use a battery balancer.

You would have to use a 48v to 24v converter.

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
Scruff

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 08:26:13 PM »

DC-DC Converter.
Joeyboswell

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 10:09:02 PM »

Ok thanks guys, suspected as much. Not a problem just at the planning stage now. Cheers
pj

Nom de Plume

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 03:42:33 PM »

Or alternatively...
Yes, electrically this is an OK thing to do (take 24V from half the bank). But the problem is it leads to an imbalance in SoC between the two pairs of 24V (2x12V) batteries, which would eventually kill one pair of batteries. If the 24V load is very light compared to the 48V load, then it may take many cycles for the imbalance to be a problem, and before it gets to be so, you could swap the 24V load onto the other pair. Only you can say if this is an acceptable approach. Alternatively, an active battery balancer will keep shuffling the needed charge between the pairs.

On the otherhand, a DC-DC converter is a much cleaner hands off solution, as suggested above.  Smiley
Scruff

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 04:51:34 PM »

It's only acceptable with balanced loads on both taps ie. Practically never.
nowty

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 08:50:14 PM »

Agree with the DC to DC converter option as an unbalanced battery bank is a BIG no no.

I re-used a 24v DC disconnect relay when I upgraded to a 48v system. I either had to buy a new 48v relay or use a 48v to 24v DC to DC converter or use a resistor. The DC converter was much more efficient than a resistor and soooo much cheaper than another relay.

You can see the converter in the picture, its the silver box.

11kW+ of PV installed and 56+ MWh generated.
Lithium battery storage of 50+ kWh.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh.
Heat storage of 15+ kWh.
6kW Ground source heatpump.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
260,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
Home grown Fruit and Veg.
Joeyboswell

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 10:38:02 PM »

Thanks, I will be going for the 48V/24V DC converter route.

Thinking up my next questions now.  Smiley

Cheers Mike
Fionn

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2019, 10:29:50 PM »

I've been using one of those silver china special down converters for a long time too and it's been great.
Mine is a 12V 20A model and it's proven very effective, decent surge capacity compared to the one it replaced too. Must measure the idle current out of interest, I suspect it's negligible.

PV - 2.75kW East, 1.5kW South, 2.5kW West. 3 x Flat Plate Solar Thermal with side arm FPHE on 268L cylinder
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: