navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UK no coal record broken  (Read 8113 times)
dan_b

SW London

« on: May 06, 2019, 09:14:22 AM »

Just read this on Twitter

“106 hours no-coal and counting at the end of Sunday. None scheduled to run tomorrow. So, unless the system operator needs support to the network, safe to assume that tomorrow and the early hours of Tuesday will be coal free for a total of at least 135 hours no-coal.”

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 02:44:54 PM »

https://www.businessgreen.com/bg/news-analysis/3075170/uk-passes-1000-hour-milestone-in-transition-away-from-coal

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 12:54:16 PM »

https://www.businessgreen.com/bg/news/3075246/new-normal-uk-grid-poised-for-first-coal-free-week-since-industrial-revolution

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 02:35:58 PM »

From EnAppSys Twitter:

"193 hours of no coal. Pity couldn’t make it to 200. Fiddlers Ferry is being brought on at 14:55 on a BOA"

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
oliver90owner

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 07:41:38 PM »

From EnAppSys Twitter:

"193 hours of no coal. Pity couldn’t make it to 200. Fiddlers Ferry is being brought on at 14:55 on a BOA"

What does BOA stand for? The only boa I know of is a snake!
sam_cat

Bristol, UK

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 09:03:59 PM »

From EnAppSys Twitter:

What does BOA stand for? The only boa I know of is a snake!

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=B.O.A.

Not what I expected... :/ :p Wink

https://www.elexon.co.uk/glossary/bid-offer-acceptance/

dan_b

SW London

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2019, 07:15:15 PM »

Great Britain's record coal free run continues to get longer and longer.

As of 15.12 today it's been 10 days straight (240 hours) without coal.

The first week without coal since 1882 was only a few weeks ago and now we’re on the way to a fortnight without coal.

Could we see the first coal free month this summer?

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
kristen

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 07:28:34 AM »

How is the Guardian getting its Bar Chart graph?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/ng-interactive/2019/may/25/the-power-switch-tracking-britains-record-coal-free-run

The article date is 25-May, but the graph data is current (last 30 minutes)
azps

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 07:52:25 AM »

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/ng-interactive/2019/may/25/the-power-switch-tracking-britains-record-coal-free-run

The coal-free data chart is using the same original data source that we all do - BMReports / ElexonPortal. It appears that they're getting it via gridwatch.co.uk though.

Aren't those data visualisations marvellous? Both the coal-free days one, and the EU countries' progress on renewables. Clear, informative, elegant design, and giving reasons to be cheerful (1-2-3).

stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 09:38:20 AM »

Yes, marvellous presentation, good for showing other nations what can be done.
Stan

brackwell

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2019, 09:41:13 AM »

Was coal not burnt before 1882 ?  must have been and if not what was used ?? Is that pre electricity?
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2019, 10:17:51 AM »

1882 marked the opening of the world's first public coal-fired electric power station, built in London. It had a 125 HP generator.

Prior to that, 1878 was the first hydro-electric power station built in Cragside, Northumberland, and that was used to power the private estate.  A public hydro-electric generator was also deployed in Godalming in 1882 for public street lighting, but it was a failure and the town reverted to gas.

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
kristen

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2019, 11:37:09 AM »

The coal-free data chart is using the same original data source that we all do - BMReports / ElexonPortal. It appears that they're getting it via gridwatch.co.uk though.
Sorry, didn't describe myself properly.

My expectation is that the Guardian wouldn't be bothered to create a Widget so that the graph auto-updates ... but just just bung a JPEG in the page. (I could be wrong on that of course ...)

So I'm assuming this is a SCRIPT, rather than Guardian's interpretation from raw data, in which case it could (presumably / no licensing issues) be bunged into any web site.

I had a quick look at the Source and didn't (at a glance) see what might be INJECTING that content into that page.
RIT

South West London

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2019, 12:35:15 PM »

My expectation is that the Guardian wouldn't be bothered to create a Widget so that the graph auto-updates ... but just just bung a JPEG in the page. (I could be wrong on that of course ...)

So I'm assuming this is a SCRIPT, rather than Guardian's interpretation from raw data, in which case it could (presumably / no licensing issues) be bunged into any web site.

I had a quick look at the Source and didn't (at a glance) see what might be INJECTING that content into that page.

If you look at the page via firefox's debugger you will find a resource titled 'Webpack', under src/js/ there is a js module simply called app.js. There are no comments to indicate the original source of this code or any copyright claims, which is more an indication that they have not considered copyright when creating the code, that than they are granting free access to the code.

From a quick look at the code, it would seem that they are running a server-side process to consolidate the data set, rather than the code hitting Gridwatch every time someone views the article so a fair amount of thought went into this. I guess the Guardian expects to be using this visualization a lot over the next few years.

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Join the fight against human malware at https://stats.foldingathome.org/team/259956

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
azps

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2019, 03:10:37 PM »

It's an SVG. If I were them, I'd just have a cron script that ran hourly to update an underlying data file on the server from the bmreports API, build the SVG code from that, then cache the page.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: