navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UK no coal record broken  (Read 2375 times)
brackwell

« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2019, 05:35:27 PM »

Coal is a done deal.

When a business(private) goes to the bank (read Ofgem) you have to have a business plan to explain why you need the money/income. In the present climate i can think of no better way to confront Ofgem than with RE etc.  When you get the comittment you spend as little and as slowly as you can/allowable to increase the profit.  I have no doubt IF the generation etc was in place to allow FF (gas) free generation by 2025 then the Nat Grid will step up to the mark but they know whats going on better than nearly anybody and think there is no chance. What utterence have you heard from the Gov to drive this through. Furthermore the grid has loads of pinch points and just to be sure plants have to warmed up and ready to go even if susequently not required, as per coal yesterday.

The time table for offshore wind is 30Gw by 2030 not 2025.

Or i am not reading the tea leaves correctly.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 06:35:18 PM by brackwell » Logged
Countrypaul

« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2019, 06:20:44 PM »

The time table for offshore wind is 30Gw by 3030 not 2025.

I think that is very pessimistic, over a thousand years just to replace what took less than a hundred to develop, given the current trend, they might do it in a thousand less   Grin
M

« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2019, 06:42:29 PM »

Coal is a done deal.

When a business(private) goes to the bank (read Ofgem) you have to have a business plan to explain why you need the money/income. In the present climate i can think of no better way to confront Ofgem than with RE etc.  When you get the comittment you spend as little and as slowly as you can/allowable to increase the profit.  I have no doubt IF the generation etc was in place to allow FF (gas) free generation by 2025 then the Nat Grid will step up to the mark but they know whats going on better than nearly anybody and think there is no chance. What utterence have you heard from the Gov to drive this through. Furthermore the grid has loads of pinch points and just to be sure plants have to warmed up and ready to go even if susequently not required, as per coal yesterday.

The time table for offshore wind is 30Gw by 2030 not 2025.

Not tea leaves, I think you are not understanding the basic issue here. It's not about FF free for the whole year, it's about the grid being able to cope with zero FF generation for 'some time' by 2025. I'm guessing here, but I assume 'cope' involves losing the frequency stabilisation of the massive generators.

We've seen gas and coal gen go as low as ~5GW's recently, so I think it's entirely reasonable to assume that there is the possibility of FF's being pushed down to zero.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
dan_b

« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2019, 08:16:05 PM »

Exactly right youíre completely misreading/misinterpreting the point. 
National Grid will have by 2025  in place the ability to run at certain times/days without any fossil fuel on the grid for limited periods - so they are working now to enable coal,  gas (and biomass) to not be burned at all for electric generation when conditions of demand and high renewable availability allows.

I donít know why you read this as a bad thing or a failure of policy or implementation.  Itís a hugely important step in the road towards net zero.   

Thought this was a renewable energy positive forum?

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery
dan_b

« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2019, 11:21:09 AM »

In case we're still counting, the UK is currently on 12 days and counting of zero coal on the Grid - another record run approaching perhaps? 

4kW PowerVault Battery
pdf27

« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2019, 07:30:26 AM »

In case we're still counting, the UK is currently on 12 days and counting of zero coal on the Grid - another record run approaching perhaps? 
Highly probable - if you look at the graph on the Guardian site (linked in the first page of this thread), we're just at the start at what has traditionally been the period of low coal use, not the end of it.
dan_b

« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2019, 09:02:25 PM »

Nope, coal is back up online this evening - not enough wind on the grid by the looks of it.

4kW PowerVault Battery
oliver90owner

« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2019, 07:15:51 AM »

Itís also a lack of decent weather - and everyone will be charging their BEVs, ready for the weekend outing. Smiley
brackwell

« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2019, 09:07:06 AM »

Or the interconnectors went to zero/negative(export)
Philip R

« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2019, 12:24:12 AM »

CCGT peaking at about 20 GW and coal being run albeit at about half the load of a single coal fired boiler/steam turbine unit (500MW or 660MW). Is there a shortage of CCGT capacity? is a large tranche of it on outage?, or a gas supply limitation? although the SMS price would indicate that supplies are availible.
Philip R.
pdf27

« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2019, 08:10:45 AM »

CCGT peaking at about 20 GW and coal being run albeit at about half the load of a single coal fired boiler/steam turbine unit (500MW or 660MW). Is there a shortage of CCGT capacity? is a large tranche of it on outage?, or a gas supply limitation? although the SMS price would indicate that supplies are availible.
Philip R.
Any coal plants shortly to shut down with stockpiles to get rid of?
brackwell

« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2019, 08:16:51 AM »

2-14 days ahead usable   https://www.bmreports.com/bmrs/?q=generation/nationaloutputusable-2-14
Philip R

« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2019, 12:53:14 AM »

Yes, Gents, thanks for the enlightenment.

Cottam has some coal to use up before closure so why not use it,  otherwise it will be trucked over to West Burton at great expense.

The BMReports chart indicates return of generating capacity from CCGT and Nuclear Units ( from outage), as well as some more wind of the meterological variety.

Philip R
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: