navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UK no coal record broken  (Read 8183 times)
Philip R

South Cheshire

« Reply #105 on: May 20, 2020, 12:17:02 PM »

I know it is a contradiction. I am in favour of closing down the coal generation but not to demolish the plants after shutdown, Keep them on care and maintenance until we are not totally reliant in imported gas. Remember, a load of nuclear will go in the next few years and this has to be replaced with something when there is no wind and no sun, in part anyway.

dan_b

SW London

« Reply #106 on: May 20, 2020, 01:11:56 PM »

I saw a video clip on Twitter yesterday of one of the mothballed German nuclear power plants having its cooling towers demolished.  This to me seems completely insane to be permanently destroying that capacity when they're still burning so much lignite. 

But I think the sooner we don't have coal as a "get you out of jail" option the better - it will force other options to become more prioritised.

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
Philip R

South Cheshire

« Reply #107 on: May 20, 2020, 01:57:32 PM »

Phillipburg NPP. Some of my former colleagues visited there when it was operating. They said it was the best power plant they had visited, based on its visible maintenance and condition. No oil leaks no steam or water leaks ( Hiss and P**s, what we called it my former work site.)

You are right, absolutely insane, treasonable in my book, but hey ho, that is  my opinion. Germany will shut the rest down next year!!

Got to remember. Mrs Merkel was born in W. Germany, emigrated to East Germany as a child. Studied some peculiar course on Communist ideology at university and speaks good Russian. I believe she has operated very cleverly and has effectively put Germany at the Mercy of Russia by increasing its dependance on Russian gas.
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #108 on: May 22, 2020, 01:44:28 PM »

UK has passed the mathematically satisfying-sounding 1000 hours of zero coal generation.  42 days, 12 hours and counting...

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
M

« Reply #109 on: May 22, 2020, 03:12:15 PM »

Cheers. Perhaps meaningless, but 1,000hrs does sound great to me. Not far off a full calendar month (of May) now, and 50 days straight. So many little PR positives just to show folk what can be achieved.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
oliver90owner

« Reply #110 on: May 22, 2020, 11:02:59 PM »

I reckon itís time for this thread to hibernate until at least November.🙂
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #111 on: May 23, 2020, 01:12:11 AM »

Yes probably a good idea- canít see coal coming back anytime soon angel

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #112 on: May 29, 2020, 08:45:14 PM »

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Just before midnight tonight (29th May, 2020), Britain will have been coal free in its generation mix for 50 days.

Record no coal run continues ...

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
oliver90owner

« Reply #113 on: May 29, 2020, 09:27:06 PM »

In that case it was seven whole weeks yesterday🙂.
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #114 on: June 16, 2020, 11:18:15 PM »

Ok. Who broke it?
Coal is back on the grid. 13MW but there nonetheless.

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
Nickel2

Sunny North-East Hampshire

« Reply #115 on: June 17, 2020, 05:56:45 AM »

At 22:30 last night renewables total was at around 12.5% of total generation.
At 04:00 today, wind + solar was at 2.9% of total generation.

The figures show that we aren't ready to ditch the dino yet, and need to keep spinning reserve. With no wind and no sun, (fog) They are probably just warming up the coal-fired to make sure it is there if push comes to shove.
N

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
New (Old) 8S7P LiFe battery, 105Ah @ 26.4V
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
Nissan micra Spirita   (Short range)
pdf27

« Reply #116 on: June 17, 2020, 06:52:40 AM »

Ok. Who broke it?
Coal generating between 21:40 and 23:05 last night for a total generation of 36 MWh? Gas was relatively low at the time, so it looks like some sort of test rather than actual generation.
In fact, can any coal plant generate that little power burning coal? From memory they have relatively low power gas or oil burners for starting up which can take them to about this level, so it isn't impossible that they didn't actually burn any coal last night.
M

« Reply #117 on: June 17, 2020, 07:12:59 AM »

Ok. Who broke it?
Coal generating between 21:40 and 23:05 last night for a total generation of 36 MWh? Gas was relatively low at the time, so it looks like some sort of test rather than actual generation.
In fact, can any coal plant generate that little power burning coal? From memory they have relatively low power gas or oil burners for starting up which can take them to about this level, so it isn't impossible that they didn't actually burn any coal last night.

Thanks for posting that, I was wondering about a gas burn too. Shame about the record, but the shorter it is, the easier to beat next time and get some more good PR.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #118 on: June 17, 2020, 08:50:49 AM »

After a bit more digging on Twitter it seems this was a single unit being tested after annual maintenance and wasnít called for by National Grid for balancing.  So there you go.  Coal goes back to sleep, the clock resets and we wait to see how long until the next test!

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
Philip R

South Cheshire

« Reply #119 on: June 17, 2020, 12:23:30 PM »

Back in the noughties, I monitorred a generator short circuit test at Aberthaw power station  during commissioning of a new generator stator.
The boiler was running on diesel oil and tallow, from a Welsh animal food processing company. Remember seeing a small group of burner running on a video screen in the main control room. No anthracite coal was used during this as the load was very low.
When you run a big unit like this at low load, the excess steam is being dumped into a dump flash vessel, to ensure the steam reaching the turbine is not wet. Also to ensure the low forward power relays do not operate. these are to stop the generator running as a motor and turning the turbine, you do not want blade rock in the LP turbines, especially at 3000RPM.

The test may have been carried following a shutdown, to test the pressure circuit. out to test various safety devices including the boiler safety valves, the turbine overspeed bolts, the onload valve tests on the turbine steam valves. Thus ensuring the unit can be bought to power quickly when  needed and not faffing around for most of a shift getting the statutory and routine testing done.
Philip R
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: