navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heat meter  (Read 566 times)
heatherhopper

« on: May 07, 2019, 03:01:45 PM »

Anyone have any recommendations for a heat meter?
This would be just for personal understanding of my system and not for critical/control or regulatory monitoring/recording.
Don't want to splash out on anything too high end but equally don't want a pup. Preferably not something originating in PRC or the like.
I am interested in both positive and negative experiences to help whittle the candidates down a bit.

Off grid AC coupled, 6kW Proven, 2.8kW PV, SMA SI/SB/WB Inverters, 4x576ah Rolls batteries @ 24v, 25kW Biomass Boiler, Wood Stoves, Spring/Well water. Sorry planet - I did try.
sam_cat

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 03:23:21 PM »

What is it your looking for? Air temperature? Water temperature? Something else?

What I have been after for a while (and am still trying to find at a sensible price) are temperature and humidity dataloggers that connect to a central server... So I could have 1 per rooms and log temperature and humidity to a database/dashboard somewhere and consume the information later (tied up with the weather logging, central heating logging, gas consumption, electricity consumption and solar generation logging that I already have in place). That would satisfy my inner data nerd for a while!
Fintray

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 04:06:23 PM »

What is it your looking for? Air temperature? Water temperature? Something else?

What I have been after for a while (and am still trying to find at a sensible price) are temperature and humidity dataloggers that connect to a central server... So I could have 1 per rooms and log temperature and humidity to a database/dashboard somewhere and consume the information later (tied up with the weather logging, central heating logging, gas consumption, electricity consumption and solar generation logging that I already have in place). That would satisfy my inner data nerd for a while!
Have a look at the open energy monitor shop https://shop.openenergymonitor.com/components/

3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!)
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
heatherhopper

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 07:28:16 PM »

Apologies - maybe I should have been a bit more specific.
I am after a heat meter for measurement of the thermal energy used for space heating and domestic hot water. Sometimes called a Flux Calorimeter I think.
I already have fairly comprehensive monitoring of all other energy inputs (openenergy based) and would like to add the thermal energy balance to the data set.
Pulse output meter ideally but manual read might be acceptable.
Kamstrup, Sontex etc are examples of manufacturers but there many more.

Off grid AC coupled, 6kW Proven, 2.8kW PV, SMA SI/SB/WB Inverters, 4x576ah Rolls batteries @ 24v, 25kW Biomass Boiler, Wood Stoves, Spring/Well water. Sorry planet - I did try.
Fintray

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 08:24:48 PM »

Sorry HH my reply was aimed at sam_cat.

3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!)
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
rogeriko

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 09:15:02 PM »

Plenty on Ebay  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sontex-heat-meter-Superstatic-749-Qn2-5-3-4/264313307208?hash=item3d8a4d0048:g:7zYAAOSw~BFcxFZv  Once they have been used they cannot be reregistered to ofgem. Lots of useless second hand units lying around. Call your local biomass company.

heatherhopper

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 10:47:03 PM »

Thanks Rogeriko - I'll have a look at second hand possibilities. Still interested in which might the most best makes though.
Interesting that there may be so many s/h items available - why is that? Unnecessary upgrades, poorly considered biomass installs or just too much effort required?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: